Each girl has its own set of signs, by which she knows for sure that her period is approaching. One of the most common phenomena is bloating. Critical days on the nose, and your favorite jeans do not converge at the waist. The situation is unnerving, causes dissatisfaction with his own figure. However, not all of the fair sex observe this sign before menstruation. Why does the stomach swell before menstruation? What is the cause of this phenomenon? Is it possible to avoid it?
Why the stomach is inflated before menstruation
The change in the size and shape of the abdomen is influenced by several factors:
- body type,
- press availability
- elasticity of the muscles of the uterus.
In girls with a developed muscular system, bloating before menstruation can occur extremely rarely. But in the case of full-bodied women, the stomach is inflated very noticeably. In addition, on the eve of menstruation, the uterus also undergoes a change. With a weak elasticity of the muscles of the body increases in size, leading to bloating.
The change in the shape of the abdomen before menstruation occurs for several reasons.
- Hormonal transformation
After ovulation, the girl's body begins to prepare for the adoption of a fertilized egg, the occurrence of pregnancy, even if this did not happen. Under the influence of hormones, the uterus increases in size, becomes soft. An additional layer of the endometrium is formed. The modified uterus affects the nearby internal organ - the intestines. If the muscles are poorly developed, abdominal distention may occur. In addition, hormones affect the body's fat cells. Their number increases significantly throughout the second phase of the monthly cycle. Accordingly, changing the shape of the abdomen.
- Intestinal peristalsis
When preparing the body for menstruation, there is a rush of blood to the organs of the small pelvis - the ovaries, the uterus, and also to the vessels of the intestines. For this reason, a slight indigestion may occur before menstruation, bloating, gas formation, rumbling are observed.
On the eve of the monthly there is an accumulation of fluid in the body of a girl. During menstruation, a relatively large amount of blood and micronutrients is lost. The body takes care of that this process does not damage women's health, namely, it is stored in liquid. By and large, it is all the same to him where to accumulate it. Some girls have swollen legs, others have face, arms, and others have an abdominal distension. When your period ends, everything will return to normal.
The release of a ripe egg from the follicle is accompanied by a hormonal surge, some painful sensations. The onset of ovulation is felt by women with high sensitivity. After that, the stomach begins to gradually inflate, and by the beginning of the month it will visually increase in size. A feeling of discomfort begins to arise.
- Neoplasms and pathological processes
Monthly entails many changes within the body. The load gets almost every body. If there are problems with the gastrointestinal tract, it is highly likely that the intestines will be sensitive. It will entail gas formation, rumbling, an increase in the size of the lower abdomen. In addition, the stomach is inflated and in the presence of gynecological diseases. Namely, with uterine myoma, a tumor of a different nature. If this premenstrual syndrome began to occur unexpectedly and is accompanied by other pain symptoms, it is necessary to undergo an examination.
Do not forget that the stomach increases with pregnancy. In the body, hormonal transformations, accumulation of fluid and fat cells begin, the blood flow changes, the uterus significantly increases in size. On the eve of menstruation, pregnancy is considered as a usual delay, however, it is not worthwhile to postpone the pregnancy test for a long time.
How to prevent bloating before menstruation
You can avoid unpleasant phenomena. To do this, you must follow certain rules:
- In the second phase of the menstrual cycle, you need to change the power. Food should facilitate the process of digestion, without loading the intestines. Light food cooked or steamed. Avoid foods that cause gas. For example, cabbage, beans, coffee, fresh cucumbers, milk.
- It will be necessary to limit the use of salt. This component contributes to the accumulation of fluid in the body. Refuse should salty food, smoked.
- Carbonated drinks, alcohol in the form of wine, beer will have to be excluded.
- Vitamins B, as well as potassium, magnesium, have a beneficial effect on the functioning of the digestive organs. Reception of a complex of vitamins will not only relieve the stomach, but also improve the condition before menstruation. Soothe the nervous system.
- To reduce flatulence before menstruation allow decoctions of herbs - chamomile, mint, lemon balm. For 1 cup of boiling water 0.5 teaspoons of each ingredient. Infused 15-20 minutes. You can add a spoonful of honey. To drink in a heat, as usual tea.
Will help get rid of the unpleasant phenomenon of sex. Sexual intercourse affects blood flow, improves the functioning of the digestive organs, psychologically distracts from the exciting issue. And when the monthly period ends, the woman will again fall in love with her tummy.
Grounds for bloating before menstruation
The fact is that before determining how to get rid of negative symptoms, it is necessary to find out why it occurs before menstruation. Since the menstrual cycle is considered a complex process, accompanied by a variety of manifestations provoked by hormonal changes and other factors. Stomach swelling, causes:
Causes of bloating before menstruation
Hormonal surge. During PMS, the amount of progesterone is multiplied. This hormone is required for successful fertilization. Due to the presence of this hormone, quite convenient circumstances are created in the uterus for a probable fetus. Progesterone relaxes the uterus, and when its inner layer rises, abdominal distention may occur, which causes discomfort. If conception does not occur, in this case, the number of hormone is significantly reduced, as a result of which swelling disappears.
Why there is bloating before menstruation
Ovulation. Before the onset of menstruation is still long, and the woman feels bloated. This symptom may indicate an ovulation process. It should be noted that the release of an egg from the ovary is an injury, albeit a minor one. What is characteristic, the painful sensations do not always disturb women. But if such negative symptoms occur for the first time, or are accompanied by a different symptom, then it is better to contact a specialist.
In addition to physiological changes, a woman in the period of menstruation may experience psycho-emotional discomfort. This can be expressed:
- The emergence of a feeling of unattractiveness due to a sagging tummy.
- Constant mood swings.
- Feeling broken.
What to do when bloating
The first step is to determine the root cause of this symptom. For these purposes, it is recommended to conduct a study to exclude all sorts of diseases. As a rule, with severe swelling it is recommended to take sedatives and antispasmodics.
Also, you can make preventive measures. Experts note that it will not be possible to completely get rid of the signs of the approaching menstrual periods, since this process is a physiological feature of the female body. But it is possible to reduce these manifestations. It must be borne in mind that the stomach will decrease only during the menstruation. To avoid bloating before menstruation, the following recommendations should be followed:
- Approximately 2 weeks before menstruation, you need to include foods rich in vitamin B in your daily menu.
- Exclude products that cause fermentation and gas formation.
- Also, do not eat salty and spicy dishes.
- Try not to overeat.
- In the period of menstruation should abolish the consumption of raw vegetables and fruits. It is also recommended to exclude greasy food and legumes.
- Have to renounce and sweets, baking. Replace sweet better dried fruit.
- Caffeine-based beverages should be minimized.
- It is recommended to control the water balance. Therefore, it is necessary to consume not less than 2.5 liters per day. fluid.
How to cure bloating during menstruation
Special attention should also be paid to the way food is consumed. Therefore, it is better to eat fractional, while chewing food thoroughly.
Experts note that psychosomatics plays an important role in the manifestation of symptoms during menstruation. Since, the more the patient is fixated on feeling unwell, the more intense the symptoms will be. Therefore, it is necessary to try to distract, to spend more time in the fresh air. Also, it is recommended to wear comfortable clothes during this period. You can produce a set of exercises aimed at directly strengthening the abdominal muscles and back.
Abdominal bloating during the menstrual period is common. But for each woman, this kind of symptoms can be expressed in various ways. But it should be borne in mind that this kind of problem should not be solved independently. Before you do anything better, consult a specialist who will recommend a more effective method of solving the problem.
Hormones guide our lives. Our appearance, emotional state and well-being depend on them. After the ovulation period has passed, the body still continues to prepare for the attachment of a fertilized egg.
This process causes a strong hormonal release, which leads to a significant increase in the uterus, which also affects the intestines. Strong pressure on the intestines from the enlarged uterus and leads to a strong bloating during the menstruation and before them.
The female body is unique, so it never ceases to amaze many scientists. The most interesting thing is that before menstruation, the body begins to actively stock up with water in order to prevent severe dehydration, which may occur due to blood loss.
If, for any reason, blood loss is not replenished by fluid, hypovolemic shock may occur. In order to prevent the accumulation of fluid in the area of muscle tissue, you need to provide your body with the necessary amount of water. If the fluid is available, the body will stop its accumulation, which will reduce swelling during menstruation.
When pregnancy occurs, progesterone is released, which triggers many different processes in the female body. During pregnancy, the body starts to be rounded, the weight increases significantly, edemas appear, fat is deposited under the skin, blood flow occurs, etc.
If menstruation does not begin, but there are all the symptoms that precede it: drowsiness, irritability, weakness, slight dizziness, nausea, swelling and an increase in the mammary glands, you must pass a pregnancy test or pass an hCG test. Modern tests allow us to determine pregnancy at 2-3 weeks, if they show two strips, you must see a doctor.
If abdominal distention occurs a couple of weeks before the onset of menstruation, it is possible that ovulation has begun. The release of an egg from the ovary occurs due to a powerful hormonal surge, which provokes strong flatulence, bloating and abdominal distension.
A few days before menstruation, changes begin, during which there is a strong rush of blood acting on the intestines. At this time, flatulence, bloating, rumbling in the stomach, mild diarrhea or constipation are considered natural.
Flatulence and bloating before menstruation for how many days may not be so harmless. The following pathologies can develop in the body:
- neoplasms of a malignant or benign nature, developing in the pelvic region,
- diseases of the genitourinary system
- diseases of the digestive tract.
In order for these ailments not to be started, you need to listen to your body. If abdominal distention is associated with the development of the disease, symptoms such as:
- severe pain in the lower abdomen,
- an increase in the duration and intensity of bleeding during menstruation,
- frequent urination,
- severe dizziness
- increase in body temperature
In addition, if there is bloating, but at the same time menstruation does not occur and the pregnancy is not confirmed, you should consult a specialist, as these symptoms are characteristic of pathological processes.
If you follow a few easy rules, you can prevent severe flatulence and bloating.
Full restriction of the use of salty and sweet food. After a period of ovulation, a decrease in serotonin production occurs. Serotonin is a hormone of happiness, so a decrease in its performance leads to an emotional outburst, stress, and depression.
During this period, a woman very much wants to pamper herself with various goodies, namely: sweet or salty food. Nevertheless, one should not indulge one's whims, sweets increase glucose in the blood, which provokes salt retention, and this, in turn, causes puffiness. If there is a large amount of salty foods, sodium provokes a violation of the water-salt balance, which also leads to swelling.
Water. A couple of days before the start of menstruation, you need to saturate your body with fluid. Water will help flush toxins and improve the digestive system. In addition to water, you can drink green tea, as well as herbal teas. But coffee, black tea and alcohol should be completely excluded these days, as they worsen the work of the gastrointestinal tract and provoke bloating.
Move more. Hiking, exercise and physical therapy will help to prevent the formation of gas in the body.
Reduced intake of dairy products. Milk, kefir, ryazhenka and yoghurts provoke increased gas formation, therefore, a couple of days before the onset of menstruation, they should not be consumed.
The use of drugs. In order to prevent abdominal distention, diuretic drugs are prescribed a few days before the onset of menstruation, they will help reduce the accumulation of fluid in the tissues. Однако принимать их нужно только по назначению специалиста. Кроме того, за пару недель до наступления месячных нужно начинать пить витаминные комплексы, они помогут организму справиться со стрессом.
Flatulence and bloating during menstruation, as well as a few days before its occurrence, disturb many girls. If these symptoms quickly pass, then do not worry, if the stomach continues to swell, you need to consult a specialist.
Physiological aspects of menstruation
With menstruation, the female body is cleansed. By the end of the cycle, the internal mucous membrane of the uterus is ready to receive the fertilized egg. If fertilization has not occurred, the concentration of the hormones estrogen and progesterone sharply decreases. As a result, the endometrium disintegrates and is rejected by the body, is removed from the vagina along with blood.
Menstruation is the result of numerous small hemorrhages. They continue until the complete release of exfoliated endometrium from the entire surface of the uterus. It can take from 2 to 7 days to cleanse (depending on the physiology of the female body).
Why does the belly increase before menstruation
The endometrium of the uterus resembles a loose porous sponge. It contains a large number of blood vessels. Highly swollen wall of the uterus gives the stomach extra volume during menstruation. 12–13 hours after the onset of vaginal bleeding, the uterus returns to its original size. The size of the abdomen decreases.
This symptom is not peculiar to all women of reproductive age. The classification of the reasons why the belly puffed before menstruation:
- external: weak abdominal muscles, especially the female physique, elasticity of the uterus, etc.,
- internal: changes in hormonal levels, intestinal peristalsis, ovulatory period, diseases, etc.,
- pathological: uterine fibroids, ovarian tumors, etc.
These causes of an enlarged abdomen cannot be eliminated. They are associated with the physiological features of the female body:
- Constitution physique. Such aesthetic problem is faced by blood relatives, for example, mother and daughter.
- Uterus elasticity. The body with the accumulation of the epithelium increases in size, has increased pressure on the abdominal wall.
- Weakened abdominal muscles.
These are internal reasons that are not always subject to correction. They are not considered pathological, but should not be ignored:
- Excess fluid in the body, swelling. For the period of menstruation, the body is stored water. The uterine epithelium works like a sponge, temporarily increases the size of the reproductive organ.
- Hormonal background. Due to the activity of sex hormones, the uterus increases in size. It affects the work of the intestines, increasing the number of fat cells.
- Ovulation. The egg cell leaves the ovary, a hormonal surge is observed. With ovulation, the abdomen is inflated, internal discomfort appears.
- Peristalsis of the intestine. With premenstrual syndrome, the gastrointestinal tract is disturbed. Possible symptoms: flatulence, bloating, increased gas formation.
Pathological causes of bloating
If there is no pregnancy, and menstruation does not come, you need to contact a gynecologist, be examined, eliminate the pathology. Big belly before menstruation may indicate internal diseases:
- tumors of the pelvic organs of benign, malignant nature,
- ectopic pregnancy,
- disorders of the digestive tract,
- inflammation of the urogenital system.
If before the menstruation the lower abdomen in women blows, the following additional symptoms should alert:
- frequent urination,
- high body temperature,
- nausea, vomiting,
- pulling pain in the lower part of the peritoneum,
- unusual color and intensity of blood discharge during menstruation.
Bloating before menstruation or pregnancy
There is a possibility of confusing premenstrual syndrome (PMS) with symptoms of progressive pregnancy. After successful conception, the hormonal background changes in the future mother's body, fat cells and fluid accumulate, and blood flow in the pelvic organs increases.
The uterus increases in size, puts pressure on the anterior wall of the peritoneum. It is visually noticeable that the woman has an enlarged abdomen.
What to do if before the monthly increase in the belly
Weight gain before menstruation is a temporary phenomenon that lasts 1–2 days after the onset of menstruation. You can avoid such an unpleasant symptom. Specialist recommendations:
- In the second phase of the menstrual cycle, exclude alcohol, carbonated drinks, energy from the daily diet.
- Before the monthly enrich the day menu with herbal decoctions of chamomile, mint, lemon balm (instead of tea).
- Limit salt intake, because this food component contributes to the accumulation and stagnation of body fluids, puffiness.
- With heaviness in the stomach, temporarily discard sweet, smoked, fatty foods, products that increase gas formation.
- If the stomach swells, take B vitamins, potassium, magnesium. Such drugs have a beneficial effect on the nervous system.
- When the stomach growls, drink a course of probiotics, prebiotics. One of the causes of such symptoms is dysbacteriosis.
- If puchit, drink a decoction of chamomile, fennel, cardamom. Use ginger drink, green tea.
- When swelling and rumbling perform simple exercises. For example, lying on your side with your legs bent at the knees, clasp your limbs and press to your chest. Perform 15 repetitions.
- 10 days before menstruation do not overeat, follow the rules of proper nutrition.
- If bloating is accompanied by pain, and menstruation does not come in a timely manner, seek medical attention.
Pathological problems with an increase in the abdomen
Normally, slight swelling of the abdominal walls does not affect the current life and does not violate the daily regimen. However, a very swollen belly, a loud rumble, pain, and stool disorders can be a sign of a hidden disease.
Likely pathologies that cause severe bloating during menstruation:
- Gastroduodenitis or colitis: chronic inflammation of the mucous membrane of the stomach and duodenum often occurs in a chronic form, only occasionally claiming to be. A rush of blood and fluid accumulation before menstruation provokes a subacute state: the stomach inflates gas, excessive pressure on the intestinal walls causes spasms, flatulence, nausea, diarrhea, or prolonged stool retention. Sharp pains in the lower abdomen and near the navel are likely.
- Kidney disease. Jade contribute to excessive fluid retention constantly, and before menstruation, this process is even more pronounced. In such cases, abdominal swelling is often accompanied by swelling of the arms, legs, or face, bags under the eyes, dull back pain, physical lethargy, drowsiness, and palpitations. Probably an increase in blood pressure.
- Inflammation and adhesions of the pelvic organs. Chronic oophoritis, salpingitis or ovarian cyst before menstruation often cause symptoms of bloating or "acute" abdomen. The condition is accompanied by quite severe pains and spasms, giving into the anus or lower back, rumbling may appear. Disruption of the chair usually does not occur.
Often for the usual PMS take the exacerbation of the existing disease.
When violations in the bowels, it is desirable to abandon coarse fiber, muffin, fried, smoked and other products that enhance the fermentation.
It is useful to move a lot and actively. Outside the menstrual period - to engage in sports, during it - more walking on foot. Rest is required to observe only with a strong deterioration of health.
A week before the onset of menstruation, it is recommended to drink an infusion of dill seed or fennel, twice a day to take activated charcoal or other enterosorbents to avoid the appearance of gases and swelling.
With a strong abdominal distension, breathing exercises and self-massage of the abdominal cavity are useful for stimulating blood circulation, digestion and actively promoting the contents through the intestines:
- in a sitting or standing position, perform a deep breath, maximally bulging the abdominal wall, exhale smoothly, pulling the muscles inward, repeat 3-5 times,
- massaging the abdomen, lying on the back: wide circular motions for 2–3 min. clockwise, putting both palms on the belly.
Massage and gymnastics can be performed only in the absence of severe cutting pains, otherwise the condition may worsen.
Opinion of doctors
Many women experience a state of discomfort before the onset of critical days. On the one hand, this is a normal physiological process associated with regular hormonal fluctuations and should be treated accordingly. If there are no severe pains, nausea and weakness, and menstruation has a normal duration and intensity, you can come to terms with the need for some restrictions on this period. No need to worry if the body becomes less agile, and clothing closer.
If the volume of the abdomen slightly increases before the menstruation, one should not strive to drive it into the usual framework, dragging it down with a belt or putting on a special body. Excessive squeezing of internal organs and large vessels leads to impaired blood supply and increased puffiness, which can provoke a strong attack of meteorism or spasm. No need to focus on the imaginary problem - a few additional centimeters worry the woman herself, and not others. You can simply give up for a short time from too tight clothes, wearing more comfortable.
Exhausting strength sports in the last phase of the cycle also will not bring any benefit. At this time, the forces of the body are directed not at strengthening the muscles, but at preparing for menstruation. To maintain normal water exchange, it makes more sense to move more: walk, walk or run.
With regular strong edema before menstruation, it is necessary to abandon semi-finished products and any salty products. Instead of tea and coffee you need to use plain clean water. It is recommended to check the functioning of the thyroid gland, heart and kidneys.
We must not forget about the timely medical examination, so as not to miss the onset of inflammatory disease.
The most common cause of bloating and severe flatulence before menstruation is intestinal problems. In order not to provoke spasms, discomfort and unpleasant rumbling, you need to adjust the food, excluding heavy foods during this period. Useful moderate exercise, including special gymnastics and massage. If the condition is accompanied by severe pain, an urgent need to consult a doctor.
The menstrual cycle is different for all women. It can last 21, 24, 28, 35.40 days. The ovum, ready for fertilization, matures in the middle of the cycle and goes towards the uterus. By the way, if the woman’s cycle is 28 days, then you can get pregnant on day 14 from the first day of your period. If the cycle is 35 days, then, respectively, 17, 18 days. It is the middle of the cycle that becomes the period of an increase in the abdomen. It is swollen, with symptoms such as pain, heaviness, indigestion: diarrhea or constipation.
Many on the forums say that the stomach becomes as big as that of pregnant women at 4 months. In addition, the limbs, eyes, lips and even the nose swell. In some cases, abdominal distension is an absolutely normal phenomenon, and sometimes it is a sign of serious pathologies. It is for this reason that it is impossible in any case to identify the cause of such a symptom, and even more so to try to carry out self-treatment. You should visit a gynecologist to find out the true cause of bloating 2, 3 weeks before the month.
Some women feel not only bloating, but also pain in the lower abdomen in the middle of the cycle. And there is such a symptom in every second girl. To worry about this is absolutely not necessary. This means that the egg cell has come out and is moving towards the uterus, sometimes this process can be accompanied by pain, which goes away after 2-3 days. During this period, you can take antispasmodic drugs (No-shpa) and limit sex life.
Every normal girl watches her appearance, health, and a rounded belly notice almost everything before critical days. Why does bloating happen?
The first sign of pregnancy
Abdominal distension can be a sign of a two-three-week pregnancy. The main culprit in the distortion of the female figure and an increase in the abdomen before menstruation is progesterone. Its main function is to control and prepare the reproductive organs, as well as all body systems, for possible fertilization or bearing a fetus. Unfortunately, progesterone cannot know in advance whether a woman is planning a pregnancy, therefore she responsibly performs her function on a monthly basis. If progesterone could be negotiated, then bloating would not be observed. But this is simply impossible to do, so the female body is arranged.
The fertilized cell is attached to the uterine wall, but for its normal retention, the endometrium (uterine membrane) needs to become thicker and softer. In addition, for normal development of the fetus uterine wall should be rich in nutrients, vitamins. Under the action of progesterone, the thickening, loosening and filling of the female organ mucous with the necessary elements occur, because the uterus epithelium prepares to receive a fertilized egg every month and continue to bear the baby. The mucous membrane thickens and loosens due to the attraction of large amounts of blood and fluid to the uterus. As a result, the stomach is slightly inflated and enlarges due to swelling of the uterine wall. The swollen uterus is the reason for the increase in the abdomen in volume before menstruation. As soon as the female reproductive organ realizes that conception is absent, the endometrium will begin to exfoliate vigorously - blood will be released, that is, menstruation will occur. Already 10-12 hours after the detachment, the female organ is normalized in size, and the stomach will become the same.
But in the event that fertilization did occur, every week the woman will notice an increase in the lower abdomen, while it will be hard, indicating growth and development of the fetus.
To understand why the belly increases before menstruation, it is necessary to delve a little into the physiology. Hormones regulate the work of all systems and organs. In women, the production of these elements is carried out a little differently than in men, and this is connected with the reproductive function.
An absolutely normal physiological phenomenon for the female is a slight weight gain before menstruation (from 1 kg to 2.5 kg).
During the period when the last phase of the menstrual cycle occurs, a large amount of progesterone (a female hormone) is released. On this basis, there are various changes in the work of all organs, including the gastrointestinal tract and the nervous system (many girls eat tirelessly during this period, without any reason hysteria, cry and become dissatisfied).
The stomach is swollen just before the menstruation, on the first day, when they go, the weight and psychological state resume. Therefore, if there are no abnormalities or diseases, you should only endure a few days, and the body's work will normalize. Abdominal distention in the middle of the menstrual cycle is quite normal.
The thing is that female hormones (progesterone, estrogen, prolactin) contribute to the violation of water-salt balance and retain fluid in the body. At the same time, elements that are responsible for the accumulation of Na are intensively activated. This substance retains fluid in the tissues. In addition, vasopressin begins to be produced. It is an antidiuretic hormone that reduces the frequency of urination. Mother Nature has created similar mechanisms to ensure that liquid is stored in the female body before future blood loss, and this does not become a great stress for the woman. Roughly speaking, the accumulated fluid compensates for lost blood.
By the way, for representatives of the fair sex, bleeding caused by various pathologies or injuries is not so terrible as for men precisely because the women’s body is used to parting with a certain amount of blood every month during the month.
The place where all accumulated fluid is stored is fat cells, so the belly starts to grow the very first. Puffiness can appear not only in the pelvic area, but also in the legs and arms. Pronounced edema, gained weight of more than 3 kg in the period before menstruation indicate a violation of the functioning of the renal system, lack of vitamins, in particular, B6 and Mg. Another factor may be the cause of the delay of a large amount of liquid - excessive consumption of salt-containing products.
Before menstruation increases the stomach, if a woman is eating improperly. Two weeks before menstruation, the production of a hormone, which is responsible for a good mood, decreases. This causes irritability, nervousness. One of the best ways to deal with female depression is to eat something delicious. Some pulls on salty, others on sweet. At the same time, female hormones act on the smooth muscles of the body, not bypassing the intestines.
Нарушение питания и расслабленная мускулатура приводят к запорам, повышенному газообразованию, брожению, как следствие — живот вздувается, пучит, урчит. Сбалансированное и правильное питание, включение в рацион продуктов, богатых витаминами и минералами, поможет справиться с проблемой вздутия живота перед месячными.
Заболевания, провоцирующие недуг
Все вышеперечисленные состояния являются нормой перед месячными. But in some cases, bloating provoke the disease present.
Pathologies that cause an increase in the abdomen before menstruation:
- diseases of the liver and kidney system
- gastrointestinal tract diseases
- malignant and benign tumors,
- gynecological diseases.
Basically, abnormal abdominal enlargement is observed in the presence of malignant and benign tumors in the area of the pelvic organs. On the part of gynecology, fibroids are most common. But even a small tumor of any other organ of the urogenital system can provoke a significant increase in the abdomen before menstruation. Therefore, gynecologists recommend that women be examined at least 3-4 times a year to prevent the development of undesirable and serous pathologies.
It is necessary to consult a gynecologist in any case, if the swelling is accompanied by pain, fever, nausea, dizziness and vomiting.
What does a woman do when bloating? Completely get rid of the symptoms of the approaching menstruation will not work, because it is a physiological process. Such is the women's share. Perhaps only slightly reduce the symptoms. The stomach will decrease only during menstruation.
What should be done so that the stomach does not swell before menstruation:
- 2 weeks before the month to maximize the ration of food products that contain vitamins of group B (nuts, buckwheat, corn, beans, asparagus, potatoes, bran, liver, yeast, germinated wheat and barley, milk, poultry, eggs, fish, cheese, spinach, broccoli,
- exclude products that provoke fermentation and gas formation (grapes, kvass, radish, confectionery),
- do not eat salted, spicy, pickled, smoked products, spices,
- purchase in the pharmacy a complex of elements containing K, Mg, Ca, Zn,
- limit caffeinated energy drinks, chocolates,
- consume at least 2.5 liters of water
- up to a maximum to reduce salt intake.
Gynecologists advise to perform exercises before menstruation. They will help reduce the stomach. Gymnastics is done only before menstruation, on the first day, when they go, exercise should be stopped.
In the sitting position to strain for 2-3 seconds and relax the stomach. Do the exercise 3-4 times a day 12 times.
In the prone position, tighten the hips to the stomach, clasping their hands. Do 2 times a day for 2 weeks 15 times.
In the same position, the knees are bent, hands on the stomach. While exhaling, do not press very hard with palms on the lower abdomen, while breathing must be held for 3-4 seconds. While inhaling, stroke your belly in a clockwise direction.
Gynecologists recommend 2 weeks before menstruation every day at night to take baths with essential oils of black pepper, juniper, tea tree, eucalyptus.
To prevent flatulence and bloating, it is appropriate to drink herbal teas, for example, broth of fennel, angelica root, chamomile, cardamom, ginger, nettle, horsetail, lovage. Some of these herbs are diuretic, help to remove excess fluid.
Some resources carry information that bloating before menstruation can be prevented by taking medication. This can be done, but only after consulting with a gynecologist.
You can take supplements that contain everything necessary for the normal development and functioning of the body of trace elements, vitamins. Often, gynecologists recommend taking diuretic drugs and drugs that normalize the work of the hormonal system.
To determine why abdominal bloating occurs before the menstrual period, the causes of this condition will be helped by an experienced gynecologist, who, after a detailed examination of the female body, will explain what provokes a change in the female figure.
After a successful ovulation occurring every month, the female body prepares for the adoption of the fertilized female germ cell, its fixation and growth in the uterine cavity. In order for the fertilized cell to develop as needed, the uterus must be properly prepared. To this end, in the female body there is a huge release of hormones that affect the increase in the uterus and its softening during pregnancy. Even if the child was not conceived, hormonal release still occurs and causes changes in the uterus.
Also, the vasopressin hormone produced in a woman's body affects bloating during menstruation. Its main function is to reduce the amount of urination in a woman to a minimum. Together with the parallel hormones - progesterone, prolactin and the hormone estrogen, the body achieves the effect of fluid retention on the eve of the onset of critical days. Such a mechanism in the female body laid by nature and its main goal is to avoid a stressful situation for the body with the loss of significant amounts of blood.
A greater amount of fluid in the female body accumulates before menstruation in the cells of adipose tissue. This process can also contribute to the development of edema in the lower and upper extremities, as well as in the pelvic area.
How to get rid of bloating
Why the stomach is inflated before menstruation - we found out.
But how to get rid of so unpleasant menstrual syndrome? What to do to help yourself in getting rid of gases and prevent their occurrence? The use of decoctions of the following herbs can help:
A woman can also reduce an enlarged belly with the help of regularly performed exercises:
- The original sitting position. Strain your stomach as much as possible, and then relax it as much as possible. In each position, linger just 2-3 seconds. Exercise is performed up to 4 times a day, 10-12 times.
- Starting position lying on its side. Bend your legs at the knees and in this position clasp them with both hands. Tighten the legs to the stomach as if trying to reach the chest. The number of repetitions is 15.
- Lying on your back, bend both lower limbs at the knee joints. Place your hands on your stomach with your palms. Slowly exhaling, press with palms on the lower abdomen, holding the breath at the end point for up to 4 seconds. Then slowly inhaling, iron the stomach in a clockwise direction.
How many days do you need to use these exercises in order to get the desired effect?
It is better to start 2 weeks before the onset of critical days and stop exercising on the first day of menstruation.
Why does the stomach swell?
The reasons for this phenomenon may be different. They are explained:
- The characteristics of intestinal peristalsis. In preparation for the monthly work of the body is concentrated in the pelvis. The genital organs and the intestines close to them are affected by the blood flow to the uterus and appendages. The period of PMS and menstruation is characterized by slight digestive disorders, including increased gas formation.
- Hormones.They help prepare the body for pregnancy. The endometrium, saturated with blood vessels, grows in the uterus. The uterus softens and swells. The abdominal musculature responds accordingly. If there is no physical fitness, it increases.
- Puffiness.Abdominal bloating may be caused by fluid retention in the body. This happens because during menstruation blood loss and loss of salts, trace elements are expected. They need something to compensate. Some girls begin to swell the legs, others - the fingers on the hands, the third lower abdomen swells.
- Ovulation If the stomach aches and swollen, and there is still enough time before the menstrual period, then this may be a sign of ovulation, because when the egg comes out of the ovary, even a small injury occurs.
- Pregnancy. If the time of menstruation comes, but they do not start, and the stomach increases, you can do a pregnancy test. If it is confirmed, but there are pains in the stomach, you may have an ectopic pregnancy or the threat of miscarriage.
- New growths. Abdominal distention combined with swelling and pain may indicate uterine myoma and other tumors.
There can be several reasons why during the menstruation the stomach swells.
Reason No 1. Fluid retention.
Before the onset of menstruation, hormonal changes occur in women. On the basis of this in the body can linger fluid. This is a kind of compensation for the coming soon blood loss. By the way, for this reason, not only the stomach, but also other parts of the body, such as arms, legs, face, can swell up. In addition, in the premenstrual period, the hormone vasopressin is synthesized, which reduces the frequency of urge to urinate. And this again leads to the accumulation of excess fluid in the tissues. But after the end of the monthly water - salt balance in the body again returns to normal.
IT IS INTERESTING
Many women who watch their figure and regularly stand on the scales, noticed that a few days before and during critical days, their weight increases. The increase can be up to 3 kg. But worry about this is not worth it. Harder we become, not at all, because we have fed those extra pounds, but because the body has lingered extra fluid. As soon as the monthly come to its logical conclusion, the numbers on the scales again become the same.
Reason No 2. Overeating.
Uncontrolled appetite and overeating is another reason why the belly is inflated and increased before menstruation. During PMS women constantly experience a feeling of hunger, no matter how much they eat. It seems to them that even if they swallow an elephant, they will still not be full enough. At the same time, the digestion process before menstruation, on the contrary, slows down. As a result, gases accumulate in the intestines, which causes the very unpleasant symptoms we are talking about.
Reason No 3. Increased progesterone hormone.
Before menstruation, the female sex hormone progesterone begins to be produced with double the force. Its increased concentration makes the uterus more friable and relaxes smooth muscles. As a result, the organ responsible for childbirth becomes soft, swollen and slightly sagging - this is how the uterus is prepared for the embryo to be received in the event of a possible conception. And apparently it creates the effect of a swollen belly.
Reason No 4. Interesting position.
Abdominal bloating before the expected onset of menstruation may indicate a possible pregnancy. If conception has come, the inner walls of the uterus become more friable and are nourished with useful substances necessary for the development of the embryo. As a result, the mucous membranes swell and there is a feeling of bloating and fullness in the stomach. You can make sure that you will soon become a mom or not, you can use the well-known test. And if he shows two strips, and the feeling of bloating will persist, you should immediately inform your doctor. At the initial stage of pregnancy, this symptom may indicate a uterine tone, which carries the threat of miscarriage.
Reason No 5. Pathology.
The reasons for which during the menstruation of the stomach is inflated may be not only the physiological processes in the female body, but also various pathologies. It is, for example, about tumors of the uterus and other organs of the small pelvis, problems with the stomach and intestines, diseases of the genitourinary system. Pathological processes can be accompanied by a number of other unpleasant symptoms: pain in the lower abdomen, weakness, an increase in body temperature, vomiting, and a frequent desire to visit the restroom. If the monthly has not come and the pregnancy is not confirmed, then most likely you are faced with some kind of disease. And in this case it is necessary, without delay, to make an appointment with a doctor.
Causes of bloating
The most common cause of bloating before menstruation is a change in hormonal levels. The menstrual cycle is a continuous series of hormonal changes. The essence of the reproductive period is to isolate a sufficient amount of progesterone - the sex hormone responsible for preparing the female body for pregnancy. Progesterone affects the smooth uterine muscles, it swells and slightly increases in size, preparing to take an egg. So, the stomach may slightly increase in volume. The more abdominal muscles are developed in a woman, the less likely that swelling will be noticeable.
In addition, under the influence of the hormone progesterone, water is retained in the body, which is why the limbs and the small pelvis area swell (this can also cause a feeling of bloating).
No less frequent cause of bloating and gas formation is an uncontrolled appetite characteristic of the premenstrual syndrome. By consuming huge amounts of salty, smoked, and especially sweet food, the stomach can swell up strongly, accompanying this process with gases.
Among the possible causes are also highlighted:
- gastrointestinal tract diseases
- if there is bloating and delayed menstruation - it is possible that pregnancy was the cause of the swelling,
- pathological processes and tumors of the female reproductive system.
Abdominal bloating during menstruation and in front of them may be accompanied by a sensation of peritoneal distention, rumbling and flatulence.
All the above symptoms are not evidence of pathology, as soon as menstruation begins, they will stop.
With incessant bloating that does not depend on physiological changes, a woman should consult a doctor to find out the true reason why the swelling did not pass naturally, and start treatment promptly.
Behavior to reduce flatulence
To reduce unpleasant bloating during menstruation, the following principles should be followed:
- You need to completely revise your diet from the second half of the menstrual cycle. Food should be easily digested, steamed or cooked.
- It is necessary to refrain from products that provoke gas formation: beans, beans and lentils, cabbage, grapes, cucumbers and radishes, milk, kvass and lactic acid products.
- It is necessary to limit salt intake. It is necessary to add it only to ready meals (no more than 13–14 grams of salt can be consumed per day, and when cooking it is easy to exceed this limit). You need to completely abandon the salty, pickled, smoked food, because it retains fluid in the body.
- Gas formation increases sweets (this is also the answer to the question of why a patient is first prohibited with cakes, pastries, chocolates and other chemical sweets flavored with huge amounts of sugar and vegetable fat), carbonated and alcoholic beverages: especially beer and wine, accordingly, they also need to be removed from the diet.
- An adult needs to drink at least 2 liters of pure water per day.
- It is important regularly, and especially the last 2 weeks of the cycle, to use minerals: zinc, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and vitamins A, C and group B. To saturate your body with them, you need to use a sufficient amount of spinach, broccoli, asparagus, nuts, buckwheat , chicken meat, hard cheeses and eggs.
To eliminate bloating and gas formation before menstruation, you can resort to using the following medications:
- No-shpa, Drotaverin, Almagel - antispasmodic drugs that reduce pain when swelling,
- Activated carbon is a sorbent that removes toxins from the body (suitable in the case when the stomach swells from overeating),
- Omeprazole, Festal, Pancreatin - enzymatic means that improve digestion,
- Dimetikon, Kuplaton - special means that stimulate the excretion of excess gases,
- Espumizan - a popular tool to combat excess gas.
Herbs from bloating
It happens that patients suffering from bloating do not want to see a doctor or take specialized medications. Deciding what to do in this case will help traditional medicine.
Decoctions of mint or chamomile will help if a woman has a lot of puffiness before her menstruation. The drug is prepared as follows: 250 ml of boiling water, poured over a teaspoon of dried chopped herbs (if based on decoction and mint and chamomile, a spoonful of each herb is added to a glass of liquid), the broth is stirred and infused for half an hour. Take the broth with the addition of honey, like regular herbal tea.
The process of flatulence, occurring on the eve of menstruation, should not be a hindrance if a woman takes the infusion from dill fruits in advance. This tool is often advised by doctors as an adjuvant therapy, and is commonly used even in the treatment of young children. The method of preparation is the same as for mint infusion: a spoonful of herbs per cup of boiling water, time of infusion is an hour. The tool must be taken in the form of heat, three times a day, a glass. The tool is well stored in the refrigerator, you should only remember that before each reception it must be heated.
In addition, according to the same recipe, decoctions are prepared from the following herbs: fennel, cardamom, ginger, nettle, horsetail.
To help avoid unpleasant symptoms may be a bath course with essential oils of juniper, tea tree or black pepper, undertaken a couple of weeks before the onset of menstruation.
Если никакие лекарственные травы, и рекомендации по снижению метеоризма не помогают, возможно, причина вздутия более серьезна и требует профессионального вмешательства. В таком случае женщине нужно обратиться к своему лечащему врачу.