When they say that a person, his breath, sweat, urine or other physiological fluids, acquire the characteristic smell of acetone, then first of all suspicion falls on diabetes. In this disease, ketone bodies accumulate in the body, which cause the appearance of this specific smell.
As for the smell of acetone from the vagina, such a symptom of diabetes appears quite rarely. But two options are possible:
- The appearance of odor directly from the vagina is possible in severe forms of diabetes and other conditions in which ketone bodies accumulate.
Thus, there can be two mechanisms for the appearance of such an odor from the vagina. At the same time, the causes of the accumulation of ketone bodies in the human body are much greater.
Causes of acetone odor
There are many conditions where an increased amount of ketone bodies is produced in the body, which can lead to the appearance of acetone from urine, sweat, respiration, as well as vaginal secretion. Among the most common are the following:
- Diabetes. This is the most common and likely cause of the accumulation of ketone bodies. This symptom is characteristic of diabetes of any type: first and second, non-sugar, gestational, since all of them are characterized by impaired glucose tolerance and metabolism.
Dehydration. With a lack of fluid in the body, urine becomes more concentrated and can acquire a pronounced smell of acetone.
Protein diet. Carbohydrate-free diets, in which carbohydrate intake is practically stopped in the body, because of which the metabolism changes, and the production of ketone bodies responsible for the smell of acetone increases.
Metabolic disorders. There are also a number of other hormonal and metabolic disorders in which a characteristic odor appears.
There may be other causes of the smell of acetone from the vagina. But in any case, the first step should be a gynecological examination.
After examining the vagina, smear microscopy, bacteriological seeding, hormonal studies, PCR diagnostics for urogenital infections and, possibly, a number of other examinations, the doctor will be able to tell whether the appearance of this odor from the vagina is a consequence of a gynecological disease or some other.
In some cases, you may need to consult a urologist, endocrinologist or other specialists.
Causes of fetid discharge in women
As a rule, changes in the smell of mucous secretions indicate the development of the inflammatory process of the urogenital system. Discharges of normal etiology are designed to protect the body from the penetration of pathogenic microbes, viruses, bacteria. The sour smell of discharge from a woman can be in the case of a significant amount of lactic acid bacteria in mucus, but it should not have a pronounced character. Vaginal discharge with a smell characteristic for the occurrence of the following diseases:
- thrush (vaginal candidiasis): the most common reason that mucous secretions start to stink. Yeast fungi Candida cause the development of the disease in the background of a weakened immune system, pregnancy, stress. Discharge with kefir smell is accompanied by burning of the vulva, itching in the genital area, worse at night, after water treatments, sexual contact, or when urinating. Treatment involves taking complex antifungal drugs prescribed to both sexual partners.
- Vaginal dysbacteriosis (bacterial vaginosis) is an imbalance of the microflora of the urogenital environment, the predominance of pathogenic microorganisms in it. As a rule, the rotten smell of discharge is accompanied by itching and burning of the vulva, swelling and reddening of the labia. Mucous discharges acquire a grayish tint, with a prolonged course of the disease, the consistency of mucus becomes viscous with a greenish-yellow tinge, there is an unpleasant smell in the groin.
- Trichomonas colpitis develops when the body is infected with Trichomonas. As a rule, the disease has a venereal etiology and is transmitted through sexual contact. Against the background of colpitis often develop cerceum, urethritis or endometritis. So the disease should be treated in its early stages, preventing it from becoming chronic. Symptoms: liquid discharge with a sour odor, uncharacteristic for the current phase of the menstrual cycle, pain in the lower abdomen, burning sensation in the vaginal area, mucus has putrid impurities.
- Endometriosis is characterized by the formation of endometrial nodes inside or outside the uterus. Often this disease causes infertility in women. Timely detection of the disease will help to establish the following symptoms: bleeding with an unpleasant odor, continuing after menstruation, pulling back pain, discomfort during sexual contact, bloating. To diagnose the disease, you can use specific tests: colposcopy, ultrasound.
- discharge of brown with a smell can talk about the development of venereal diseases. As a rule, mucus acquires an uncharacteristic color, purulent consistency with bloody impurities, can provoke a burning sensation in the area of the vulva, aggravated by sexual intercourse. Treatment includes combination therapy for both sexual partners.
- postpartum discharge with an unpleasant odor is normal for the first weeks after birth. So the uterus reacts to the separation of the placenta. But if the discharge is abundant in nature and does not stop in time, this is a reason for a serious survey. Late elimination of the causes of secretions can cause anemia, and blood can accumulate in the uterus, which can lead to serious complications.
Why does ammonia smell
Ammonia odor may appear due to urinary retention or protein food poisoning. Its occurrence may occur due to the influence of such factors as:
- Malnutrition - a surplus of protein foods in the diet.
- Disorders of the kidneys and bladder.
- Strong physical exertion.
- Malnutrition, hunger. The human body begins to use its own reserves, that is, to convert muscle and fatty tissue into energy.
- Genetic predisposition.
- Side effects of some medications.
The smell can get not only urine, but also saliva and sweat. This may be due to the fact that the metabolism of the body is disturbed, proteins are poorly digested and removed from the body. This may indicate that there are serious problems with the kidneys, liver. Perhaps there is a risk that these are symptoms of diabetes or tuberculosis. Correct diagnosis can only doctor.
How does ammonia smell
The smell of ammonia depends on factors such as its concentration and the presence of extraneous
impurities. It is compared with the smell of rotten hay or garlic, but in fact, the closest and most understandable, according to the description, is the comparison with the smell of rotten eggs, unbearable and nauseous. Ammonia smell of ammonia. It should be borne in mind that ammonia is a toxic substance. In humans, ammonia is converted to a less toxic substance - urea.
Why does urine smell like ammonia
Discharges may acquire this smell for various reasons. Some factors that contribute to the appearance of ammonia aroma, may be associated with nutrition and lifestyle. For example, by eating large amounts of protein food, which the body does not have time to cope with. If a person is forced to periodically retain urine in the body, this leads to a strong smell of ammonia from it. Sometimes, which is very dangerous, urine gets the smell of ammonia due to failures in the body, caused by infection or the development of various diseases, including life-threatening diseases.
Causes in women
Ammoniac odor may appear in women:
- During menstruation. At this time, various changes occur in the female body.
Vaginal microflora, hormones are changing. Excretions are mixed with urine, which leads to a change in its composition, this can lead to the fact that the composition of the discharge changes and urine will acquire a characteristic odor. This phenomenon occurs periodically, with the onset of menstruation.
- Ammonia aroma may also occur during pregnancy. During this period, there are also very serious changes in the body, and they relate to the urogenital system. Moreover, at this time, a woman is experiencing a very strong intoxication, which can also provoke his appearance.
- Metabolic disorders provoked by taking certain drugs. For example, dietary supplements with calcium or iron, various vitamin complexes.
The smell of ammonia from the mouth
For some reason, the smell of ammonia from the mouth may appear. Not all of them are harmless. Some say there are very serious malfunctions in the body. The following are the most common factors that lead to the appearance of a characteristic aroma:
- Starvation. Rare food intake and insufficient amount of fluid consumed can lead to metabolic disorders in the body, retention of urea in the body, and, as a result, the reverse process, which leads to the appearance of ammonia plowing.
- Protein-based diet. Kremlin diet is not in vain considered one of the most harmful. Excess protein food leads to the fact that the body simply can not digest it. There is a rotting of uncooked food in the stomach and intestines, the products of this rot spread throughout the digestive tract, including the mouth.
- Diabetes. Excessive glucose consumption leads to the fact that part of her body is forced to withdraw through the urogenital system. In addition to the unpleasant ammonia smell from the mouth, accompanied by frequent urination and thirst.
- Diseases of the kidneys and urinary tract - the kidneys are involved in the processing of proteins and excrete the substances derived from their decomposition, as well as excess fluid. This is their main task. In the case of a disease, urea does not leave the body, but turns into poisonous ammonia, which leaves the body through the sweat glands and the gastrointestinal tract. Ammonia from the stomach enters the esophagus and oral cavity. If the smell of ammonia emanates from the mouth or from the urine, it means that the kidneys do not cope with their task and it is possible that the reason lies in a pathology or some infectious disease.
Causes of ammonia smell in the urine
If the urine has acquired the smell of ammonia, but this is not permanent, then the reasons for
no worries. Most likely, this is just the body's response to changes in diet, increased physical activity. But if the discharge has acquired a persistent ammoniac taint, this may indicate that the kidneys do not cope, which is a consequence of the disease. If there are other changes in the discharge: color, turbidity, the appearance of sand or sediment.
Diseases in which urine smells like ammonia
Diseases in which urine smells of ammonia, a little. The following are diseases that are almost always accompanied by this symptom:
- Urethritis. It occurs as a result of infection of the urethra with viruses and bacteria. Urethritis mainly affects men. The disease is accompanied by the appearance of blood in the urine and a sharp pain when urinating.
- Inflammation of the kidneys and bladder - cystitis. You can get sick with hypothermia of the genitals or non-compliance with the rules of personal hygiene. Cystitis can be triggered by taking certain medications.
- Diseases of the liver and gallbladder. The liver neutralizes and removes dangerous toxins from the body, promotes the accelerated decomposition of protein foods. Violation of the liver leads to the fact that the urine becomes dark in color and has a strong characteristic odor.
- Violation of water and protein exchanges. Proteins in the body are broken down into water and urea. In violation of metabolic processes, urea is converted back to ammonia, which goes along with the urine, giving it a characteristic smell.
- Tuberculosis, malignant tumors.
Characteristic norms and deviations from it
The nature is arranged so that the work of each of our organs is accompanied by the products of its vital activity. Most of the reproductive system consists of mucous tissues, which have many glands that produce a secret. Thanks to him, the barrier function is carried out: the retention of foreign microorganisms. Thus, the natural microflora is preserved, and together with mucus, all unwanted bacteria are eliminated.
Normally, these are moderate in amount of discharge of transparent mucus, without foreign smell and uniform consistency. Over the course of the menstrual cycle, this characteristic may change: the secretion becomes sticky and yellowish during ovulation, before or after menstruation.
If the discharge began to smell strongly of onion, rotten fish, iron, rot, acetone or ammonia, acquired white, gray and other unnatural color, their composition became heterogeneous, and discomfort in the form of itching, burning, pain was added, then it is a violation. Consider the problem of the presence of discharge with a strong smell of ammonia or ammonia.
Causes of discharge with a non-pathological odor
It is known that the lifestyle, quality of nutrition and the general state of health of a woman are reflected in the characteristics of the secreted sexual secretion and its flavor. Therefore, the causes of ammonia smell can be as follows:
- The lack of fluid intake, due to which the urine becomes concentrated, giving rise to such a scent.
- Excess protein in the diet, making it difficult to process the liver into amino acids.
- Changes in hormonal levels during pregnancy, after childbirth, during menopause, in girls during puberty leaves an imprint on the secretion flavor. For the same reason, menstrual bleeding in the first days can give ammonia.
- Improper hygiene when discharge or residue of urine accumulates in the inguinal folds.
- Some medications or multivitamin complexes change the composition and smell of secretions.
- Most often, this phenomenon occurs due to impaired liver function, which does not cope with the processing of a by-product of metabolism, ammonia. During normal operation of the liver, it is excreted in the urine. When its activity in the body is disrupted, toxic substances accumulate, finding a way out in the form of vaginal mucus. That is why the smell from the genitals can disturb not only a woman, but also a girl who is not sexually active.
What are the pathology of the discharge smell of ammonia
The causes of ammonia-like discharge in women are also pathological.
- Urethritis, in which the urethra is inflamed, develops due to the penetration of pathogenic bacteria and viruses into the microflora. Symptoms include ammonia smell, cutting pain when urinating, discharge from the urethra appear, and urine may have a brown tint and contain mucus.
- Cystitis is another inflammation of the bladder. It develops due to harmful microorganisms, and due to hypothermia, and in menopause cystitis is an even more frequent “guest” due to age-related changes. Symptoms of urethritis may include fever and general malaise.
- Pyelonephritis is an inflammation of the kidneys and their pelvis, which gives such a smell and is accompanied by frequent urination, back pain, chills, weakness, increased sweating, dizziness.
- In case of diabetes mellitus, ketones are present in excessive amounts in the urine - acetone compounds. In high concentrations, they can produce a similar fragrance.
- If white lumps in the mucus began to stand out or they became yellowish, the described smell appeared, there is intolerable itching and burning, then this is a fungal disease Candida, in the people - thrush.
- Bacterial vaginosis can be a prerequisite for the appearance of ammonia-like discharge. Such a fragrance of secretions is diluted by the smell of rotten fish, the mucus becomes grayish. She can express herself with special force after sexual contact. Symptomatology is also expressed by burning sensation with itching.
- Any other genital infections, such as trichomoniasis, chlamydia, gardnerellez and others are able to provoke such a fragrance from the vagina.
Find out in the article on the link, why it is painful to go to the toilet during menstruation because of small things.
A woman may confuse vaginal secretion with a slight urine leakage, which is a sign of overactive or neurogenic bladder syndrome.
How to eliminate the smell of ammonia from the discharge?
Если выделения начали пахнуть аммиаком, то следует обратиться к медицинским специалистам. Стоит начать с гинеколога для исключения женских заболеваний. Consult also with the urologist and endocrinologist, because most often this symptom - in terms of these specialists.
When the above diseases are used anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial agents, in severe cases - antibiotics. These medicines are supplemented with immunostimulants and fortifying agents.
Treatment is possible at home. Suitable candles for local action, douching solutions with the above-mentioned drugs, baths based on healing herbs, warming. But in any case, do not self-medicate. First of all, contact a competent specialist.
To prevent illness, follow simple preventive measures:
- Eat a balanced diet, eliminate strict diets, bad habits.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Do not overcool.
- Do not start colds, as they often cause diseases of the genitourinary system.
- Keep your blood sugar levels under control all the time.
- Observe intimate hygiene, wash yourself more often, paying attention to the inguinal zone.
- Choose the right care products for the genitals: without fragrances, dyes, plant-based, supporting ph balance.
- Exclude from the wardrobe synthetic underwear, leaving only natural, comfortable shape.
- Use condoms if you do not have a regular sex partner.
As shown by numerous reviews, colorless, white and yellow discharge with the smell of ammonia in women is a common problem that can be easily resolved. It is important to notice in time, find out the cause and get the correct treatment. Be healthy!
Norm and deviations
Normal discharge is a small amount of vaginal mucus that does not have any unpleasant odors and is uniform in consistency. They help maintain a healthy microflora, preventing the reproduction of pathogenic microorganisms.
If the mucus acquires extraneous odors, then this is a sign of the development of pathology.
During the period of ovulation, the vaginal secretion produced becomes yellowish and sticky. Then it becomes transparent again, but is re-modified before and after the menstrual period: the norm during this period is the appearance of insignificant yellowness.
The ammonia smell of discharge in women is considered a pathological sign. The reasons may be various diseases of the reproductive organs.
Symptoms of discharge
If women's secretions smell of ammonia, then this state is considered a clear deviation from the physiological norm.
Obtain advice from a gynecologist is necessary when the following accompanying symptoms:
Additionally, there may be pain during intercourse.
The smear study determines the high content of opportunistic bacteria, with ammonia smell, it is most often gardnerella. It is they that cause the specific fragrance of the discharge.
Unpleasant discharge from women with a characteristic ammonia odor may appear for the following reasons:
- Lack of fluid. To eliminate the appearance of uncharacteristic smell, it is necessary to drink at least two liters of pure water during the day. This will create the necessary conditions for the work of the urinary system. Be sure to visit the toilet at the first request of the bladder: restraining the urge to have a bad impact on the kidneys and liver.
- The current period of the menstrual cycle. The appearance of ammonia odor is not excluded during the first phase, due to the ongoing change of hormonal levels. The specific aroma of ammonia may appear during menopause.
- Increased protein content. You can check the suspicion by passing the urine to a laboratory test.
- Puberty. Puberty is characterized by an active reorganization of the hormonal level, which can negatively affect the state of the vaginal microflora. Therefore, it is possible the periodic appearance of the odor of ammonia.
- Taking multivitamin complexes containing a high percentage of iron, zinc, magnesium and calcium.
The unpleasant smell of vaginal mucus, due to the reasons considered, short-lived and passes independently.
Seeking advice is necessary if a woman has the following symptoms:
- lower abdominal pain
- discomfort during sexual intercourse,
- cramps associated with the release of the bladder,
- change in consistency.
Accompanied by active reproduction of pathogens, which leads to a violation of the vaginal microflora. The disease is characterized by the development of the following symptoms:
- ammonia smell of discharge
- itching, burning of vulvar tissue,
- puffiness, hyperemia of the large genital lips.
Discharges become grayish, later - a greenish-yellow shade. If untreated, mucus becomes thick, viscous.
Yellow discharge from women may indicate other diseases. Therefore, we recommend to get acquainted with more detailed information on this topic.
Pathology occurs as a result of infection with trichomonads. Transmission occurs sexually. Complications of the disease are cervicitis, urethritis, and uterine endometritis.
Treatment should begin immediately after diagnosis, that is, a woman should consult a doctor immediately after the development of uncharacteristic symptoms.
Signs of trichomoniasis include:
- liquid discharge with an unpleasant ammonia smell and additional impurities,
- soreness in the lower abdomen,
- burning sensation in the vagina.
Pyelonephritis is an infectious inflammation of the kidneys caused by the penetration of various bacteria. Its signs, in addition to the appearance of ammonia odor in vaginal mucus, are:
- lower back pain
- increase in body temperature to high rates
- active sweating
- headaches and dizziness,
- general weakness
- bouts of nausea.
Pyelonephritis may be accompanied by a malfunction of the urinator. It is possible the development of inflammation of the mucous membrane of the bladder, which is expressed in rezya with urination and frequent urge to the toilet.
The appearance of the smell of ammonia in the genital area may indicate the presence of sexually transmitted pathologies. The most common provocateurs are chlamydia, ureaplasmosis and gonorrhea.
Treatment in this case, you must pass both sexual partners. If you do not take the necessary measures, the transition of inflammation to the body of the uterus is not excluded.
Noncompensated diabetes mellitus is characterized by the appearance in the urine of a large number of ketone bodies - acetone compounds. The liver does not have time to process them, so they fall into the urine. Hence the appearance of the characteristic smell of ammonia in the genital area.
In the absence of adequate treatment, the risk of spoiling the liver is quite high.
Treatment and preventive measures
The method of treatment depends on the type of pathology that provoked the appearance of uncharacteristic odor. Before prescribing medications to the patient, necessary tests are done.
As preventive measures to prevent the appearance of an unpleasant symptom, can be:
- healthy lifestyle,
- compliance with the drinking regime,
- balanced diet,
- timely treatment of colds,
- control of blood sugars
- intimate hygiene,
- not wearing synthetic underwear,
- condom use
Remedies for external treatment
Douching the vagina helps to eliminate local symptoms - itching, burning sensation - and getting rid of the unpleasant smell.
Good practical results are obtained with the use of chamomile, peppermint or calendula baths. To enhance the therapeutic effect in the water is allowed to add a little sea salt. After bathing, the external genitals should be wiped dry with a clean, soft towel. The result is noticeable after the first procedure.
Not bad have proven to reorganize the vagina with an aqueous solution of iodine, salt and soda. In a liter of cooled boiled water, stir 1 tsp. (no slides) salt and soda, and then add 10 drops of iodine.
Douching is carried out twice a day - in the morning and in the evening.
Drugs for admission inside
For the treatment of secretions used drugs from the group of anti-inflammatory and antifungal agents. Sometimes antibiotics may be prescribed. Immunostimulants and medications from the category of tonic are obligatory.
The treatment of diseases is carried out on an outpatient basis, that is, the woman herself takes the selected medicines in accordance with the developed scheme.
The appearance of vaginal discharge with an uncharacteristic odor of ammonia is a reason for going to a gynecologist. Self-treatment is unacceptable, because before starting medication it is necessary to establish the true cause of the pathology.
Normal female discharge
Ideally, a woman should stand out no more than 3-5 ml of mucous secretion, its color is transparent or slightly yellowish. The smell of normal discharge is neutral or slightly sour, because the vagina remains acidic. Discharges are permanent - it is the body’s natural function of self-cleaning. In this way, dead epithelial cells are removed from the uterus.
In the vagina live sticks of lactic acid, their function - disinfection and maintaining the balance between beneficial and conditional pathogenic flora. From the cervix, too, mucus is secreted from time to time, its discharge indicates that ovulation has occurred in the female body, mucous discharge occurs when intimacy occurs.
Sometimes discharge from women with the smell are before sexual intercourse. This is because in the area of the clitoris, when a woman is excited, a fat-like secret is produced. Often this secret has a strong smell, which serves as a kind of attraction for the sexual partner. If a woman neglects the rules of personal hygiene, this smell can be quite unpleasant.
If we talk about all the normal female secretions, then we can not say about the monthly menstrual flow, which also have their own smell. And again, if a woman does not particularly care about the hygiene of the genital organs, rarely changes the pads and does not wash off with soap, then this smell also becomes harsh and very unpleasant.
All the fault candidiasis
White discharge with a sour odor is most likely a fairly common disease - thrush. In this disease, a woman appears cheesy discharge, itching and burning in the vulva.
Normally, a woman always has thrush fungi, and in principle they are a normal component of the microflora of the vagina, but if conditions favorable for their reproduction arise, they become larger, and an unpleasant disease develops. Favorable conditions for the reproduction of fungi are low immunity, disruptions in the hormonal background, stress, hypothermia, unhealthy diet and other factors. If the thrush is not treated, the fungi will infect the bladder, and then the intestines.
By itself, thrush is not dangerous to the health of a woman, but her unpleasant symptoms and complications can cause a lot of trouble. Therefore, at its first symptoms, it is necessary to consult a doctor and begin treatment.
Symptoms of thrush some women are confused with the symptoms of genital herpes or gonorrhea and are embarrassed to seek medical help, and in vain. With proper and timely treatment of all the unpleasant symptoms, you can get rid of just a week.
Symptoms of thrush are itching and burning, white cheesy discharges with an unpleasant smell, the genitals reddening and swelling, painful sensations occur during urination and intimacy. To diagnose a disease, it is necessary to pass a vaginal smear.
Discharge with an unpleasant odor is characteristic of another pathology - vaginal dysbacteriosis. This disease is non-inflammatory and infectious in nature, in which the beneficial flora is replaced by anaerobic bacteria. The disease is quite common and well treatable.
Dysbacteriosis occurs with hormonal disorders, during menopause, after abortion, with long-term antibiotics, in the absence of normal hygiene of the genital organs, as well as with excessive hygiene, with frequent changes of sexual partner, with the use of hygienic tampons and many other factors. The trigger for the development of the disease can be reduced immunity.
Symptoms of the disease may be different, depending on the degree of dysbiosis. Vaginal discharge can be scanty or very abundant, most often there is a discharge with a fish or ammonia odor. In the initial stage of the disease, secretions are few, they have a grayish tint. The next symptom is itching, which can occur from time to time or be permanent. Many patients report increased itching during menstruation. The woman is disturbed by discomfort during intimacy and during urination. With the development of the disease, the discharge becomes viscous, their color also changes - it becomes dark green, the amount of discharge increases. At the same time, the inflammatory process is not at all mandatory, the mucous membrane does not inflame, does not redden, and does not swell. Diagnosis is carried out at the gynecologist by taking a smear for analysis.
Symptoms of trichomoniasis
The causative agent of this disease is Trichomonas vaginalis. Sexually transmitted trichomoniasis is transmitted. Trichomoniasis develops with the following factors:
- bacterial contamination of the vagina,
- metabolic disease,
- problems with the endocrine system.
In the acute form of discharge with an unpleasant smell in women are accompanied by itching and burning. The discharge may be greenish or yellowish, abundant and frothy. If the disease has spread to the urethra, there is pain and a burning sensation when urinating. With the defeat of the appendages and the uterus pain in the lower abdomen. Itching for trichomoniasis can be so severe that a woman cannot sleep.
The disease can turn into a chronic form. In this case, the disease lasts longer and relapses occur quite often. For the occurrence of relapse enough to reduce immunity or personal hygiene.
Symptoms of gonorrhea
There is a mention of gonorrhea in the Bible, so it is a very ancient disease of unscrupulous people in sexual contacts. This is a sexually transmitted infection. Called gonococcus. The disease is very dangerous, as it affects many human organs and systems.
- discharge from women with an unpleasant smell,
- purulent and mucous discharge,
- itching, burning and pain in the genitals.
The treatment of gonorrhea is long and rather complicated, but in no case should this disease be triggered, because gonorrhea can spread to the mucous membrane of the eyes, mouth and rectum. In the advanced stages of chronic gonorrhea, almost all organs are affected.
Discharges with a sour odor in women are observed with vaginal herpes. The causes of this infectious disease are in the virus. The herpes simplex virus is infected with most of the sexually mature women in the world, but not everyone has vaginal herpes. There are certain risk groups that can cause genital herpes. These are women who have many non-regular partners, and women who have a weak immune system.
The main symptom of genital herpes is the appearance on the surface of the genital organs of small ulcers that are filled with serous fluid. Before their appearance, a woman may be disturbed by swelling and itching of the mucous membranes, muscle pain may also appear, the temperature may rise, lymph nodes in the groin area may slightly increase. Discharges may smell unpleasant, but sometimes they do not exist at all.
Often, the symptoms of vaginal herpes go away on their own without any treatment, but this does not mean that the disease has passed - it just assumed a latent form for the time being. Even if vaginal herpes passes on its own, this does not mean that you do not need to consult a doctor. It is very important to pass tests and be examined in order not to confuse this disease with another, which can lead to complications.
The sour smell of discharge in women can be a symptom of chlamydia. In this case, a woman may have a low temperature, possibly, pain in the lower back or lower abdomen. When the urinary system is included in the process, cystitis can worsen, there is a burning sensation and pain at the end of urination. Discharges are colored yellow and may have an admixture of pus.
In general, chlamydia - microorganisms that provoke chlamydia, can affect all systems of the body, but the urogenital form is considered the most common form of the disease. This infection is quite dangerous, it can severely undermine the health of a woman and cause infertility.
Женский организм - уникальная и безумно сложная структура. Он одновременно и сильный (одни роды чего стоят!), и очень слабый. He demands a very careful and careful attitude to himself, therefore, every woman should sensitively listen to everything that happens to her, and at the slightest suspicion of pathology, seek the help of a specialist.
During planned bleeding, discharge may also smell differently than before. It happens because:
- local immunity caused by hormonal imbalance falls,
- bleeding due to its nature creates favorable conditions for the development of microbes,
- a strong smell usually appears if the woman does not change the pads or tampons in time.
Often pregnant women complain that they have a discharge with the smell of urine, fish, and other unpleasant components that the smell can catch.
The reasons may be the following:
- hormonal changes, always accompanying a healthy pregnancy,
- distortion of the perception of the surrounding smells, so the discharge may smell really normal,
- Because of the suppression of the immune system, many pathogenic bacteria behave more actively, and therefore the smell of the secretions becomes different,
- in the period of exacerbation of chronic diseases, which often happens during childbirth, the discharge also smells unpleasant.
If there is a discharge with the smell of urine in women, the causes of which are known, but pregnancy occurs, the gynecologist will carefully consider the problem to minimize the risk to the fetus.
For children, the absence of unpleasant odors is the norm - the genitals of girls should not smell something sharp and repulsive. If it happened that the parents saw discharge with the smell of urine on the underwear, fish, they smelled some sour shades, then the reasons may be the following:
- reaction to the care products for the crotch area - soap, diaper rash cream, wet wipes,
- hormonal disorders, although such a phenomenon is rare,
- violation of hygiene rules
- infection with worms,
- children after a year for the purpose of experiment may accidentally shove which object into the vagina, to which the mucosa will respond with an increase in secretions,
- reduced immunity
- the presence of inflammatory processes due to visits to swimming pools, beaches and other common areas.
Natural causes of the smell
This phenomenon may be due to the following fairly common reasons:
- Lack of fluid in the body. There is one “golden” rule according to which an adult needs to drink at least two liters of water to ensure the normal functioning of internal organs and systems. Juice, soup and others do not apply here. It's about plain water. This provides filtration of the urogenital system (good prevention of urolithiasis). In addition, you should not hold back when urging to urinate. It has a negative effect on the kidneys and liver,
- Menstrual cycle. The smell of ammonia on the gasket in the first period of the monthly cycle indicates a change in hormonal levels, which is not a pathology,
- Excess protein. This can be checked by testing urine for the presence of protein in it. This is also not a cause for concern. The fact is that due to the high concentration of protein products, the liver does not have time to process them into amino acids that are useful for cells,
- Puberty. This process is closely connected with the change of microflora of the genitourinary system and hormonal background in general, therefore the periodic sensation of ammonia smell in the intimate zone in this case is also explained by natural processes,
- Reception of multivitamin complexes with a high content of such components as: calcium,> iron, magnesium, zinc.
- Neglect of inguinal hygiene. This is not about the regularity of taking a shower, but about the correctness of the procedure of washing itself. Flushing should be directed from the vaginal area towards the anus. Not the opposite. The water temperature should not exceed 45-50 degrees, so as not to cause irritation of particularly sensitive areas of the epidermis. Also, to wipe the face and body should use different towels.
Ammonia-like discharges in women, caused by the above factors, are mostly short-lived and are not accompanied by pathological symptoms in the genital area:
- painful discomfort or burning,
- pain when urinating,
- cheesy or bloody impurities in the urine,
- pains of varying intensity in the lower abdomen and others.
- As a rule, they pass without outside intervention.
There are a number of fungal, infectious - inflammatory and viral diseases for which this symptom is characteristic:
- Vaginal candidiasis, better known by the people as "thrush". The causative agent is Candida fungus, which is present in any organism. The impetus for its activation and population is the weakening of the protective properties of the organism under the influence of the disease or intense psycho-emotional stress. Responding to a potential question: “Can thrush be the cause of the smell of ammonia?”, It should be noted that this is individual for each woman. Mostly cheesy impurities in the secretions emit the smell of fermented milk products, but in some cases the presence of a faint smell of ammonia is possible. The disease is accompanied by itching and burning in the groin area. When symptoms of thrush are detected, both partners must undergo an appropriate examination, since the disease is almost instantly transmitted through unprotected sex. With timely and effective treatment, the pathogen can be neutralized relatively quickly.
- Urethritis. It is a course of inflammatory processes in the urethra. It may develop as a result of the unhindered colonization of the body by Candida fungi. A fairly common disease among the female population. In addition to the smell of ammonia, the following symptoms indicate it: pain and cramps when urinating, blood in the urine, the appearance of atypical mucus in the secretions of a clear or light yellow color.
- Cystitis. Symptoms are quite similar to urethritis. The main reason for the development of the disease is hypothermia, resulting in inflammation of the bladder mucosa. The main symptoms include: frequent urge to urinate, dark urine with possible blood impurities and the smell of ammonia, temperature may rise to subfebrile values, strong pains during urination.
- Kidney diseases such as pyelonephritis and pyelitis can also be a cause of the smell of ammonia in the intimate area. They are characterized by: intense back pain in the lumbar region, high temperature that does not subside for several days, profuse sweating, dizziness and headaches, accompanied by general weakness, in some cases nausea, dysfunction of the genitourinary system.
- Venereal diseases, among which are chlamydia, gonorrhea, ureaplasmosis and others.
- Diabetes in the early stages of development. High concentrations of ketone in the body cause the smell of acetone or ammonia in the achy area. Ketones that have not been processed by the liver are spontaneously excreted through urination, leaving a characteristic odor. More intense odor manifestations suggest diabetic dehydration.
- Viral form of hepatitis. This infection of the liver is determined by experts on the following grounds: a yellowish tint of the skin and eyeballs, dark urine with a strong smell of acetone or ammonia.
- Vaginosis or vaginal dysbiosis. The development of the disease is due to the prevalence of harmful microorganisms in the microflora of the intimate zone. The result is a previously mentioned smell, accompanied by itching, burning, as well as swelling, skin irritation of the labia,
- The vulvar furunculosis is determined by the characteristic yellow or green hue of the disease,
- Endometriosis. It is an inflammation of the lining of the uterus. At the same time it increases in size and bleeds. These emissions have a strong ammonia odor. In addition, the disease is determined by the characteristic swelling of the abdominal cavity and pain syndrome during sexual contact,
- Malignant neoplasms on the genitals. They are characterized by colorless or light - red discharge with a specific odor.
- Vaginal fistula is a pathology resulting from mechanical stress. The main causes include childbirth and genital trauma. Fistula - the empty space between the organs of the genitourinary system. It is treated exclusively through surgical intervention.
- Parasitic microorganisms present in 70% of the population. Waste from most of them can emit ammonia.
Note! Each of the pathologies listed above requires individual and immediate treatment. The symptoms manifested should not be ignored, as this is fraught with grave consequences, even death. Self-medication is unacceptable.
Effective recipes of traditional medicine
The treatment recipe can be combined with the practice of traditional medicine. This will help relieve symptoms such as itching and burning, as well as relieve the specific odor in the intimate area.
The most common and practical methods of traditional medicine are chamomile, calendula and mint baths. The effect is noticeable after the first application. After the procedure, the genitals should be thoroughly wiped off. In the solution for greater effect, you can add sea salt.
In combating the symptoms, the folk remedy for iodine-based douching has proven itself well. For cooking it is necessary to add one teaspoon of soda and salt to a liter of boiled water. After thorough mixing, it is required to drop 10-15 drops of iodine into the solution. Douching should be carried out in the morning and before bedtime. This procedure has an anti-inflammatory effect on the mucous membrane of the genital organs and washes away harmful bacteria and fungi.
Sour-milk products that restore the intestinal microflora after taking antibiotics play an important role in restoring the body after a therapeutic course.
It is important to understand that traditional medicine will help to deal with some symptoms of the disease, but not with its pathogen. Therefore, such therapy should be used only as an auxiliary! The main course of treatment can be adjusted only by the doctor who prescribed it. Violation of the regimen of drugs is unacceptable!