The color, consistency, odor, profusion or scarcity of monthly discharge - these signs can tell a lot about the state of the female reproductive organs. The absence of menstruation will be the first sign of the onset of pregnancy, and the appearance of heavy discharge and pain will warn you about the development of the disease. And how should we treat the brown discharge that appears on the first and last day of menstruation? Is it normal or pathological? Let's try to figure it out.
The first menstruation girls meet at the age of 11-16 years. Becoming a regular monthly discharge can be delayed for 1-2 years. In the future, the monthly will begin as scheduled, and last from 3 to 7 days. The interval between periods will be from 25 to 35 days. This is the normal menstrual cycle.
However, most women do not know why menstruation occurs and what they consist of. But this is the necessary information for a more accurate understanding of the work of your body. Monthly - this is the end (or beginning) of the next menstrual cycle, a sign that the conception has not come.
In the menstrual cycle, there are two main phases: follicular and luteal. The first phase occurs on the first day of menstruation and lasts an average of 14 days (depending on the duration of the menstrual cycle). Approximately in 5-8 day the maturation of the dominant follicle begins, from which a viable egg will come out at the moment of ovulation.
The dominant follicle will turn into a corpus luteum, which intensively produces hormones (estrogens, progesterone, androgens). At this time, the lining of the uterus (endometrium) reaches a maximum size in order to receive a fertilized egg.
If fertilization does not occur, then the corpus luteum stops the production of hormones, and the uterus prepares for rejection of unnecessary endometrium. By the end of the menstrual cycle (approximately on days 27-28), a complex biochemical process occurs, causing a spasm of the vessels located in the functional layer of the endometrium. The uterus begins to contract and expels the detached mucous layer and blood.
It is natural that the rejection of the endometrium does not occur in an instant, so menstruation lasts from 3 to 7 days. During this time, the uterus cavity is cleaned, and a new mucous layer begins to form.
What periods are considered normal:
- Uniform structure of discharge. Small mucous clots are quite acceptable.
- The color of secretions is dark red, beet. A brown shade is allowed on the first and last day of your period.
- The amount of blood excreted should not exceed 40-60 ml per day.
- Duration from 3 to 7 days.
- The most intense (abundant) monthly for 2-3 days.
- The discharge is not accompanied by severe pain in the lower abdomen, itching and burning in the vagina.
Naturally, these criteria are somewhat averaged data, since the menstrual cycle and monthly discharge always have individual criteria.
The appearance of menstruation brown on the first and last day of menstruation can be attributed to normal. On the first day, the excretions have just begun and are not yet very intense; therefore, the blood is oxidized and a brown tint appears. On the last day of menstruation, the secretions were almost over, and the blood again has time to oxidize, giving the secretions the same brown tint.
In addition, the change in the color of menstruation can be caused by a number of physiological factors (reception OK, climate change, etc.).
However, it is impossible to judge only by the color of secretions about the health status of the reproductive organs. You need to know all the symptoms that accompany menstruation. After all, if menstruation suddenly changed its color, then this may be a sign of the development of pathological processes.
In what cases, the change in the color of menstruation is considered the norm, and when - pathology?
Menstruation can change under the influence of various factors. Lifestyle, nutrition, climate change - these are only a few factors that can make changes in a stable menstrual cycle.
Acceptance of oral contraceptives. During the reception of monthly contraceptive drugs as such, no. They are replaced by menstrual bleeding. The fact is that oral contraceptive drugs suppress the maturation of the egg, the growth of the endometrium and affect the natural hormone levels of the woman.
This explains the contraceptive property of drugs in this group. OK begin to independently control the menstrual cycle. And since the size of the endometrium is small, and the discharge during menstruation will be scanty and dark in color, the duration can be reduced to 3 days.
The first and last day of your period. As mentioned above, the selection in these days is insignificant, so the blood manages to oxidize and change color.
The impact of external factors. Excessive physical exertion, severe stress, climate change, diseases suffered on the eve of menstruation (influenza, acute respiratory infections, etc.) - all these factors adversely affect the woman's body. They can not only change the color of menstruation, but also bring down the regularity of the cycle.
Age changes. During puberty and during menopause, the woman's body undergoes multiple changes. First of all, hormonal changes. Therefore, the appearance of dark periods in these two age periods can be attributed to the norm. The exception will be discharge, accompanied by pain.
Pregnancy. Sometimes the moment of implantation of the ovum may be accompanied by minor bleeding from the genital tract. A positive test can confirm or disprove pregnancy. However, it is worth to consult a doctor if the discharge increases or lasts more than 12 hours.
Diet. Food, poor in protein or vitamins, can provoke a change in hormonal levels in women. An imbalance of hormones will cause changes on the part of menstruation.
The situations described are the most likely physiological causes of brown menses. However, one of the main conditions is the absence of pain, burning, profusion and other negative phenomena. Otherwise, we are talking about pathology.
Pathological processes associated with organs of the reproduction of women, manifest a whole complex of symptoms. A single appearance of brown discharge (monthly) can not yet indicate the development of diseases. It is necessary to consider the accompanying symptoms.
Ectopic pregnancy. Brown daub appears in the presence of ectopic pregnancy. Related symptoms:
- Delayed menstruation.
- Mild nausea, headache, weakness.
- Abdominal pain, extending to the rectum.
- Twitching or soreness of the lower abdomen on the side (usually on the right).
- Positive pregnancy test.
In the case of such symptoms, you should immediately contact a gynecologist. After the analysis of hCG and ultrasound, surgical treatment will be prescribed. It is impossible to postpone a visit to the gynecological clinic, since the delay can lead to rupture of the fallopian tube (this is where the ectopic pregnancy is most often localized).
Endometriosis. This is another disease in which the appearance of brown, thick and abundant, rarely scanty periods. This pathology is characterized by the growth of the endometrium (the inner uterine layer, the mucous membrane) beyond the limits of its usual stay.
Outbreaks can grow into the muscular uterus, found in the ovaries, fallopian tubes and other organs. Growing in other organs, the foci of endometriosis continue to follow the usual menstrual cycle of a woman, that is, to reject and bleed (menstruate). Because of this, the nature of the menstrual flow changes. Typical symptoms of endometriosis:
- Long monthly. The duration of discharge increases to 10 days. This happens because of the much larger area of the endometrium, which is very long separated and removed from the uterus. In addition, foci located in different parts of the reproductive organs continue to menstruate for some time after the end of normal menstruation. Brown daub appears.
- Abundant discharge. Gasket has to be changed very often (about 1 time in 1-2 hours).
- In the secretions there are mucous clots, the color of the secretions is dark. The consistency is heterogeneous.
- Abdominal distention before and during menstruation.
- Pain during or after sexual intercourse.
- Headaches, weakness, lethargy, fatigue.
Most often, endometriosis develops in women with a history of abortion, diagnostic curettage, and other surgery on the reproductive organs.
Sexually transmitted diseases. Sexually transmitted infections (gonorrhea, trichomoniasis, etc.) cause inflammatory diseases of the genital organs. Most often colpitis (vaginitis). However, if untreated, the infection is able to infect the cervix and rise into the uterine cavity. Symptomatology is quite specific:
This symptom may go away implicitly, however, with the penetration of the infection, there will be a dirty-brown discharge during menstruation. There may be a burning sensation in the vagina, itching, abdominal pain, an increase in body temperature. Menstruation will have a sharp unpleasant smell, purulent blotches are possible.
Endometritis and inflammatory diseases of the reproductive organs. Endometritis is an inflammation of the lining of the uterus. Inflammation is caused by various disease-causing agents (staphylococci, streptococci, gonococci, etc.). At risk are women who have recently given birth, have had an abortion, scraping.
- Lower abdominal pain.
- Increased body temperature.
- Brown thick periods, there may be blotches of purulent character.
Endometrial hyperplasia. The disease is characterized by excessive growth of the endometrium. Most often, hyperplasia is absolutely asymptomatic. The only sign will be changes on the part of menstruation. There may be a delay of menstruation, discharge sometimes scanty sometimes abundant. The color changes from dark brown to light red.
Erosion of the cervix, polyps, fibroids. One of the symptoms of these diseases are menstruation brown. In addition, the following symptoms are present:
- Pain during intercourse, brown daub after (typical sign of erosion).
- Increased abdominal volume (fibroids).
- Abundant menstruation, first dark, then scarlet (fibroid, polyp).
- Lower abdominal pain.
As can be seen from the above, the reasons that can change the color of menstruation, a great many. However, not all of them are pathological. For a non-specialist it is quite difficult to fully assess the symptoms and establish the diagnosis. Even the gynecologist will never announce the final verdict without prior examination. Therefore, with the appearance of disturbing symptoms, it is necessary to visit the antenatal clinic.
The specialist will conduct an inspection, survey and assign the desired range of examination. Most often it is an ultrasound scan, colposcopy, in some cases MRI and CT, laparoscopy. Perhaps the appointment of consultation endocrinologist, to establish a possible hormonal failure.
If there are brown discharge from the genital tract during menstruation, after or between menstruation, it is recommended to visit a gynecologist. All of these pathological processes respond very well to treatment, especially in the early stages.
Possible causes of discharge at the beginning of the cycle
In principle, there are no states when one could definitely say that with it pathological secretions appear at a particular time. But there are a number of diseases that most often behave typically. Finally, the cause of the brown discharge can be determined only by the doctor after the additional examination.
The first phase includes from 1 to 12 - 14 days, taking into account the ideal cycle. With a shorter decreases and increases with a long.
The first day should be considered the beginning of any discharge of bloody nature in a woman, even if it is a daub. Most often, light-brown discharge will bother a girl if she has endometriosis. It is an insidious disease that can occur for years with little or no symptoms or very scarce manifestations. With the progression of pathology, pains in the lower abdomen start to disturb the woman during, on the eve and after the menstruation, prolonged smearing before and after the end of the menstrual period. Endometriosis also often leads to infertility, non-developing pregnancies and certain other gynecological diseases.
If we talk about endometriosis, then first, parts of the endometrium are spread through the structures of the external and internal genital organs, they are introduced and grow in these foci. In more complex cases, such "islands" are found in the brain, in the intestines, and in many other structures.
Light brown or chocolate discharge will disturb a woman with localization of foci of endometriosis in the vagina and external genitals, on the cervix and cervical canal, in the uterine cavity. Their intensity will depend on the number of such pathological "islands".
We recommend to read the article about brown secretions between the monthly. From it you will learn about normal and pathological secretions, diseases that cause pathology.
Taking oral contraceptives, a patch or other forms of estrogen and progestin-containing drugs can lead to a similar clinical picture at the beginning of their intake.. Allocations can periodically appear over two or three cycles, it all depends on the hormonal disorders in a woman’s body, as well as on its individual characteristics to adapt.
Why it happens in the middle of a cycle
Why is monthly light and starting in the middle of the cycle, every two weeks? Closer to ovulation in a woman's body, there is a “change in power”: the concentration of estrogen gradually decreases, and the progestogen increases. The signal for such transformations comes from the pituitary and hypothalamus. The result - ovulation occurs.
Sometimes there may be a slight imbalance of hormones, which is reflected in the appearance of bloody brown secretions from the genital tract. They should not be abundant (enough daily pads and normal hygiene), in duration - no more than 2 - 3 days. In the opposite case, this is an obvious pathological condition that requires further treatment.
Such ovulatory bleeding (it is customary to call discharge, although their number is small) should not be monthly. Most often, they are provoked by stress, lifestyle changes, physical exertion and other factors unusual for women. If such secretions are repeated from month to month, it is necessary to undergo an additional examination - in 90% of the examinations, the pathology of the uterus is revealed. Cases of polyps and hyperplasia can occur even in girls who have not given birth or are not sexually active.
Causes of discharge at the end of the cycle
In the second phase of the menstrual cycle, if there is any discharge, pregnancy should first be excluded. In this case, atypical periods will be observed - the color is light, and the amount is insignificant.
And at this time, the usual test strip for urine may not show a reliable result. Therefore, when you first noticed a different shade of red or brown color discharge should consult a doctor. If there is a possibility and pregnancy is not excluded, it is advisable to take a blood test for hCG, which from the tenth day of conception shows 100% reliable information.
The following options are possible with the appearance of light brown discharge in the second phase of the cycle:
Also, light brown discharge from 14 to 28 days of the cycle may also appear in endometriosis. Their intensity, intensity and duration largely depend on the location of the foci and does not differ from those in the first phase.
Look at the video about the causes of brown discharge:
With active inflammation with localization in the vagina, cervix or appendages, a woman, in addition to brown intermenstrual secretions, may not be bothered by anything else. The causes of daub in this case are as follows:
- as a result of the involvement of the blood vessels in the process,
- also brown discharge may be due to the presence of actively producing white of mixed genital infection, for example, in trichomoniasis and mycoplasmosis, etc.
In addition to daubs, a woman is usually disturbed by varying intensity of lower abdominal pain, menstrual dysfunction, etc.
Pathology of the uterus
Endometrial hyperplasia and polyps are also most often detected when a similar light-brown daub appears. It may be in the middle of a cycle, then without additional examination it is difficult to establish the true cause. There may also be a discharge after exercise, sexual contact, etc.
Oral contraceptives and their cancellation
Apart from the fact that taking various kinds of hormone pills can give brown discharge during their use, in the same way and after the end of taking the body, it takes another 3 to 6 months to fully recover. And during this period various violations of a menstrual cycle are possible, most often it is an irregular daub.
You should not worry, but when you go to a doctor, the prescribed treatment will help speed up the recovery time. Vitamin complexes, moderate physical exertion, haemostatic means usually help well.
Any oncological pathology (vulva and vagina, cervix or uterus, appendages) can begin its clinical manifestation with daub. Self-medication and delayed diagnosis will only aggravate the situation.
Sometimes a woman notes at the same time that such light red "monthly" appear only after sexual intercourse or additional physical labor. This is due to the large injury of the tumor and the appearance of bleeding of different intensity from it.
Depending on age
During the first two years after the first menstrual period, the girl and the normal cycle may be irregular, periodically spotting occurs instead of menstruation. In principle, if nothing else bothers her, you can watch for a while. To clarify, it is better to contact a pediatric gynecologist.
Menopausal women should also be wary of any kind of discharge. Failures can only be a short time when becoming a climax. And after a woman has not had any discharge for a year, the bloody brown daub is an unequivocal signal of the disease. These symptoms may hide the endometrial or cervical polyp, cancer of any localized organ. Rarely, this is due to hypertensive crisis or stress on the background of fragile vessels.
Sometimes women in menopause have various problems with the blood supply to the organs, about which they are constantly undergoing metabolic therapy courses. Occasionally, various vascular preparations are included in the diagrams, against which a similar smear may also occur. But in any case, you should first eliminate the more dangerous situations.
Sex life as a cause of failure
Often women note that light daub appears just after sexual intercourse and naively believe that this can be normal. In fact, in 90% of cases, this indicates the presence of some kind of hidden disease.
And only in the remaining 10% (the percentage is higher in young and unmarried girls) - this is a discharge from microtraumas received during intimate relationships.
Operations as a source of violation
After any gynecological manipulations, even at first glance insignificant, irregular menstruation may occur. Most often we have to deal with the following situations:
- Acyclic light brown discharge after curettage of the uterus, including after abortion in different periods.
- Any operations on the ovaries, for example, for apoplexy (rupture), for removal of a cyst, for polycystic disease, intervention for infertility, etc.
- Within 42 days after childbirth, operative or natural, light pink “monthly” periods can be observed, which in this case are called lochia, sometimes they are just streaks of blood in mucus.
Reasons why you should not see a doctor
In any case, the appearance of such discharge should alert the woman and become a reason for seeking medical attention. Particular concern should be given to their primary detection against the background of apparent general well-being. In the following situations, you can observe your condition yourself:
- If there were light periods, the reasons for which are obvious. For example, after curettage, surgery to remove an ovarian cyst, while taking oral contraceptives, etc. Most likely, the doctor warned about them, and they will be held within a month or two depending on the clinical situation.
- If similar light brown discharges appear before or after menstruation for many years. In this case, it is most likely a question of endometriosis, which can be clarified with a doctor during routine examination.
We recommend reading an article about daub instead of menstruation. From it you will learn about the causes of pathological secretions, the likelihood of pregnancy, diagnosis and treatment.
Symptoms for which it is necessary urgently to the hospital
In most cases, you should consult a doctor without delaying the visit for a week or two. So, as soon as possible you should act in the following situations:
- If a woman suspects pregnancy or her probability is not excluded.
- When joining pain in the lower abdomen, if there are any other symptoms of the disease (weakness, malaise, fever, etc.).
- If the discharge has a sharp unpleasant smell.
- If this is observed after delivery, but more than 42 days have passed.
- With the appearance of discharge in the period of persistent menopause.
- If these are minor bleeding, one of the possible symptoms of cancer of the genital organs.
- In the case when a woman is being treated for some gynecological disease, and the doctor did not warn about such discharge.
The light brown discharge on the days of the proposed menstruation or at any other time of the cycle mostly indicates some pathological process that may be completely asymptomatic for the woman. Therefore, in any case, it follows, if not immediately, then in a planned manner, to be examined by a doctor, who will establish the true cause and prescribe the most appropriate treatment for the condition.
Brown discharge normal
Brown discharge instead of menses, the norm:
The period of puberty.This is an important stage in the formation of the female reproductive system. It is characterized by the fact that the girls begin to appear menstruation. But this process does not always become regular, in some cases it may take time to correct it. Normally, for a girl, the process of establishing the menstrual cycle lasts about a year. In this situation, the appearance of menstruation may not be observed at all, or they are so scanty that they resemble brown discharge from the genital tract. Many girls start to be afraid of this symptom, but in most cases you don’t need to worry about any treatment, it’s enough just waiting tactics.
Climax. This is one of the most common physiological reasons for the appearance of brown menses. They can occur in any woman who is faced with the process of reducing the functioning of the reproductive system. The age of their appearance may be different. Normally, this is presumably 45-55 years old. When a brown discharge occurs during menopause, a woman at a later age, against the background of normal and cyclical menses, does not arouse suspicion in a woman. But in some cases, menstruation may stop at an earlier age, so the woman is agitated. The onset of such symptoms may occur in 35-40 years. Such a development of menopause will be pathological, may manifest as a violation of cyclicity and the appearance, instead of red blood, in the average volume by small, scarce in volume brown discharge. Gradually, after the appearance of such periods, their complete cessation will occur. With initial manifestations, especially at a young age, it is possible to delay its onset with the help of substitutes for hormonal therapy. But in middle or late age, only expectant tactics are used.
Postpartum period.This is a physiological condition in which brownish secretions may appear. Normally, after the birth of a child, for some time, a woman notes discharge from the genital organs, this is due to the fact that the process of separation of the placenta takes place, which means that the integrity of the capillaries and vessels is disturbed. During the first days after birth, the discharge is red and similar to regular menstrual periods, but later their intensity and volume change, they become more scarce, and the shade will be brown. A month later, this picture usually stops. Such discharge is called lochia. They should not be accompanied by any pathological symptoms, as soon as pain appends to such brown secretions and the rise in temperature signals the beginning of the inflammatory process. If the volume of brown discharge does not stop, but, on the contrary, tends to increase, then it is also necessary to consult a specialist, as this may be a sign of delayed fragments in the uterine cavity.
This is one of the most dangerous reasons for the appearance of brown menses.
There are similar symptoms as a manifestation of a menstrual-like reaction, it is not complete. This is due to insufficient hormonal hormone production, contributing to the onset of menstruation.
- But also the release of human chorionic gonadotropin prevents the complete rejection of endometrial tissue.
- In some cases, the appearance of brown secretions may indicate the onset of a breach of pregnancy. This is a kind of miscarriage reaction, and it can also be a violation of the usefulness of the vascular walls of the fallopian tube.
- Often, such a pathology may be accompanied by the appearance of pain, mainly on the side where the ectopic pregnancy occurs. The degree of increase of symptoms gradually increases.
- During the diagnosis, there is a discrepancy between the size of the uterus with the expected period, as well as the degree of growth of chorionic gonadotropin, it will also lag behind the corresponding.
This situation should not be ignored, as it can lead to a threat to the life of a woman. Further progression of pregnancy in this case is almost unpromising.
Risk of miscarriage
This is also one of the main reasons for the appearance of brown discharge instead of menses. This condition may be due to many reasons, they begin to appear mainly in the early stages.
- The volume of discharge may be different, sometimes women do not notice almost any symptoms in themselves, except for a slightly noticeable brown daub in underwear, but in some cases it may be a discharge reminiscent of menstruation.
- In the latter case, there is a separation of red blood with a large number of clots that begin to appear in a woman and are accompanied by other symptoms.
- In addition to discharge, the main complaints may be pain in the lower abdomen, a previous delay in menstruation, nausea, and a sore breast.
The prognosis is different, with the release of a small number of brown formations there is a chance to preserve the pregnancy, but it is minimal in abundant separation, since the fertilized egg can be separated from the surface of the uterine mucosa.
When making a diagnosis, urgent hospitalization and prescription of hormonal drugs are required, as well as lifestyle changes with the exception of any physical activity.
This is another common reason for the appearance of brown secretions that occur on the background of involvement in the pathological process as the uterus, cervix and vagina.
In most cases, this is a chronic course of the disease.
At the same time, brown secretions may appear spontaneously or against the background of menstruation.
In this case, the monthly can change not only their cyclical, but also the duration. They are prone to brown daub, persisting for a long time, as well as painful sensations.
Pain syndrome has a sluggish manifestation. Periodically there are aggravations, seasonality is inherent in them. In addition, such brown secretions may appear in the middle of the menstrual cycle.
- Sometimes with defects of the mucous membrane of the cervix or vagina, such discharge also characterizes the inflammatory process. It can worsen after intercourse.
This condition requires compulsory treatment and further anti-relapse measures aimed at preventing such symptoms.
Sexually transmitted diseases
This is one of the reasons for the appearance of brown menstruation.
Causes leading to this state have long been studied, these are infections caused by specific pathogens, which have a preferential route of transmission through unprotected sexual intercourse.
This pathology occurs in predominantly reproductive patients.
If in men they can absolutely not manifest themselves, then in women one of the unfavorable signs is a change in the nature of menstruation:
- They become more painful and pronounced, their color acquires a brown tint, an unpleasant smell appears, and the volume may be insignificant, they will be smeared, while the duration increases significantly.
- In some cases, manifestations can occur up to several weeks. This is due to the presence of a specific inflammatory process in the uterus, where the process of secretion and proliferation of endometrial tissue is disturbed.
- In the process of menstruation, a slower and more problematic separation of tissues occurs, as a result of which they will smear, their color and smell change.
This is another reason for the appearance of brown secretions from the genital tract, which can occur in any woman of the reproductive period.
There are a lot of specific reasons leading to this pathological condition.
Among them, the main believe the persistence of the follicle.
In the menstrual cycle, ovulation does not occur and the menstruation may come with a delay and their color becomes brown, a similar condition occurs while the yellow body remains active.
In both cases, there is a violation of the menstrual cycle.
In most cases, they do not require any additional treatment if they are not accompanied by pathological symptoms. Also, such brown secretions can be noted with progesterone deficiency, and therefore the inferiority of the second phase of the menstrual cycle.
The downside of most drugs are side effects. Often drugs cause severe intoxication, subsequently causing complications of the kidneys and liver. To prevent the side effects of such drugs, we want to pay attention to special phytoampons. Read more here.
Menstruation will have a tendency to delay and subsequent discharge with a thick texture and brown color.
Causes of discharge in the absence of sexual activity
In this case, the presence of brown secretions, which is a complication of pregnancy, should be excluded, as well as the risk of an inflammatory process is reduced. But at the same time there are different types of hormonal causes, alimentary factors and severe gynecological diseases.
Among the diseases should be noted internal endometriosis. This condition, which is characterized by the allocation of menstruation, having a brown color.
With the development of endometriosis, the mucous membrane of the uterus cavity spreads beyond the anatomical region, so the endometrium can be located in the muscle layer and other organs and systems.
Also, these are stressful situations and lifestyle changes that can lead to hormonal disruption.
This is one of the reasons why the monthly dark color appears.
The reason in most cases will depend on the type and nature of the manipulation:
In some cases, the appearance of monthly brown color may be associated with a reaction to the introduction of intrauterine devices.This may be a manifestation associated with traumatization of the mucous membrane of the uterus, or its reaction to the appearance of a foreign body. As a rule, the subsequent menstruation is no different from the previous one.
- With endometriosis, an intrauterine system with levonorgestrel can be used.During its stay, it begins to emit a certain dose of the hormone, which leads to the development of short-term habituation of tissues.
- Also monthly brown color can be associated with such surgical interventions as curettage of the uterus. In some cases, it can be performed for diagnostic purposes, as well as to prevent the development of pregnancy. Similar periods appear immediately after the procedure, the brown color may persist for a week with a gradual decrease in intensity.
- In addition, strange brown menstruation may be due to intervention in the uterine cavity.associated with previous pathology.
In most cases, it does not cause labor in modern medicine.
This is usually a comprehensive examination:
It begins with a conversation with a woman doctor, clarification of all complaints, anamnesis, as well as inspection of the reproductive organs.
- The basis for the diagnosis of monthly brown color is ultrasound.е. Производится оценка в первую очередь матки, ее размеров, структуры, толщины и консистенции основного слоя — эндометрия. Так же осматривается шейка матки и ее консистенция. It is necessary to examine both appendages for the presence of volumetric formations, and the size of the follicular apparatus with the quantity.
- Another method indicating the indirect state of the reproductive organs is a complete blood count. Hemoglobin and leukocyte count is measured. Using this method can be confirmed inflammatory disease and the presence of anemia, which in some cases may be the cause of brown menstruation.
- Hormonal examination. Of these, the study of the level of human chorionic gonadotropin is often used, especially it is important in ectopic pregnancy. The increment and degree of dynamic increase during the progression of the term is investigated. Also, such an analysis is required to be carried out in the event of the development of threatened abortion.
These are the highlights in the treatment of brown menstruation.
The choice of tactics will depend on the type of pathological condition:
- In an ectopic pregnancy, the main treatment is its interruption through surgical access. The volume will depend on the timing and condition of the woman. At the initial stages of pregnancy, but with the appearance of brown menstruation, surgery is limited to the removal of part of the fallopian tube and its subsequent restoration, to preserve the anatomical full state. With a long term and the symptoms of its violation, treatment is limited to a complete amputation of the fallopian tube.
With the threat of spontaneous miscarriage, especially in early pregnancy, with the appearance of brown menstruation, the appointment of hormonal treatment is required. Among them, the main drugs are drugs of the progesterone group. Of these, a large number of funds are on the market, but the most popular are Duphaston and Utrozhestan. Duphaston is a systemic drug used in menstruation during pregnancy. The appointment is possible only until 20 weeks of pregnancy, after the second screening, it is canceled completely, or replaced with Utrozhestan. The dosage will average 20 mg daily. Urozhestan drug progesterone, produced in the form of a vaginal suppository. It has an effect similar to Duphaston, but bioavailability is much higher. The dose of one candle is 200 mg.
- Inflammatory diseases that lead to brown menstruation require systemic treatment. It may be antibacterial or anti-inflammatory drugs. In the case of detection of a specific pathogen, selection is carried out by determining sensitivity to antibiotics. In the presence of hormonal disruptions, you can use the combined oral contraceptives, leading to a decrease or cessation of brown discharge during menstruation. It can also be other hormonal agents that contribute to the treatment of the underlying disease, leading to brown menstruation.
What does brown discharge say
Normally, the color of menstruation has a red or burgundy color. If there is a slight darkening of the menstrual blood, it means that it lingers for a time in the vagina or uterus and is oxidized.
The reason why the menstrual browns go is a small amount of discharge. Therefore, at the beginning of critical days and closer to their completion, similar changes are observed. During this period, there is very little blood.
Scanty menstruation of brown color in some cases is observed in absolutely healthy women and adolescents. If blood loss per menstruation is less than 30 ml, then serious pathologies can be suspected. The excretions in this case are brown and black.
They can indicate hormonal failure, diseases of the genitourinary system, underweight and pregnancy.
Regardless of the reasons for such changes, you need to contact a gynecologist for help. Developing in the body pathology often have a hidden clinical picture. In the advanced stage, they are difficult to treat and can lead to serious complications.
When is it the norm
Sometimes, when menstruation is normal, the discharge becomes more darker than usual. Such changes are not considered a sign of pathology in the following cases:
- a day or two before critical days. Menstruation usually begins with a brown daub. Its insignificant volume is the harbinger of regul
- a day after menstruation. This is due to the release of the uterus from blood residues,
- against the background of oral contraceptives. During the first three cycles, dark brown periods are noted. Their appearance provokes hormonal changes in the body,
- when the duration of critical days is not more than three days. For short periods, brown discharge is considered normal.,
- after the first menstruation in adolescents. For two years, the appearance of such periods,
- at the beginning of sex life. As a result of deprivation of virginity and after several subsequent sexual acts, slight bleeding may occur.
Causes of pathologically poor monthly
The causes of monthly brown color are not always rooted in the natural processes occurring in the body. Often, serious health problems lead to a change in the nature of discharge, including:
- inflammatory process,
- infections of the genitourinary system
- ectopic pregnancy,
- the threat of spontaneous miscarriage,
- cervical erosion,
- genital tuberculosis,
- endocrine diseases
- endometrial hyperplasia,
- benign and malignant tumors,
In the case of the presence of these diseases during menstruation, there is a brown discharge, which may indicate a neglected situation. If a non-characteristic secret is found, a visit to a gynecologist is strongly discouraged. The faster the pathology is diagnosed, the easier it is to eliminate it.
The reason for the discharge of dark brown color often lies in the use of contraceptives such as contraceptive pills, intrauterine device. In this case, such changes cannot be ignored either.
Only through diagnostics will it be possible to exclude other factors that can lead to the appearance of menstruation of an uncharacter color and avoid unwanted complications.
Such signs of pathology should cause concern:
- secretions that differ excessively thick or discharge with a watery consistency,
- constant increase in blood loss
- pronounced pain in the abdomen and lower back,
- severe headaches, up to menstrual migraine,
- copious menstruation (laying in a couple of hours completely gets wet),
- frequent and painful urination,
- intimate intimacy accompanied by pain,
- nausea and vomiting,
- unreasonable fever,
- menstrual odor,
- burning and itching of the genital area
- long delays
- a large number of clots in secretions.
Often, with the development of pathologies of the urogenital system, brown menstruation is observed. In this case, the symptoms of the disease may be mild. Such changes are mistaken for less dangerous reasons.among which are stress, a strict diet and excessive exercise. Finding uncharacteristic discharge, you need to immediately contact a gynecologist.
Only a doctor is able to identify the pathology and prescribe adequate treatment.
Brown discharge and pregnancy
During the first trimester of pregnancy on those dates when critical days are to come, sometimes monthly dark brown colors appear. This is a scanty discharge that can be misleading. The absence of delayed menstruation and toxicosis does not allow detecting early pregnancy. Being in an interesting position, a woman may not be aware of this for a long time.
Brown daub is due to the peculiarities of the hormonal adjustment process occurring during this period in the body, and an insufficient amount of progesterone in the blood. The hormone is designed to stop the growth of follicles that prevent the normal development of the embryo in the uterus. In this case, the condition will return to normal as soon as the placenta is formed, which is produced by progesterone. Immediately after this, the bleeding will stop.
The appearance of brown menstruation during pregnancy can be a serious threat. A significant shortage of progesterone, triggered by the pathological state of the corpus luteum, can lead to spontaneous miscarriage. In order to maintain a pregnancy, it is imperative to start therapy as soon as possible.
Such secretions often indicate the fixation of the ovum, not in the genital organ, but in the neck or tubes. Also on the background of ectopic pregnancy and pain. In this case, urgent surgical intervention is necessary.
A woman’s life depends on how quickly medical care is provided.
The appearance of menstruation brown can be caused by both natural and pathological causes. Not always such changes are a serious threat. Often they are considered a normal state and do not cause concern. Despite this, medical consultation is necessary in this case. It is not possible to identify the cause that led to a change in the nature of the discharge at home.
What do brown monthly say
Is brown menstruation normal or is it worth worrying about? Let's figure it out. Scarlet blood - fresh. If a woman notes in her abundant scarlet discharge - it almost always means more blood loss. And if these discharges began earlier than the expected days of menstruation, then almost always we are talking about breakthrough bleeding and the need for urgent treatment to the doctor.
The color of menstruation is normal - red, maroon. The blood darkens a little as it oxidizes. The fact that the blood is not scarlet indicates that the discharge is delayed for some time in the uterus, the vagina, that is, there is time for oxidation.
But what they say brown monthly. The fact that the selection of scarce. This may be a variant of the norm, if the woman has 1-2 days of menstruation or, on the contrary, the last 1-2 days. Rarely observed monthly brown with clots, they are usually small. At the same time, this may be when taking hormonal contraceptives. For some women, scanty menstruation is the norm. They are healthy, get pregnant without problems and give birth. Worry is, if the total blood loss for menstruation is less than 30 grams, then you should do an ultrasound of the pelvic organs and be tested for hormones. But only if it is observed outside of taking contraceptives.
Brown menses after a delay or, on the contrary, very abundant discharge is often observed in adolescent girls while the menstrual cycle is established. And it lasts up to two years after menarche (first menstruation).
You can also consider brown discharge instead of menstruation as a sign of possible pregnancy. Naturally, those women who have had unprotected sexual acts. But without fanaticism. If the test showed a negative result, then surely there is no pregnancy. Brown menstruation on the first day is the norm for many women. Such modern diagnostic tests are being sold that are not mistaken and show the correct result even a little before the start of menstruation delay. Weakly pronounced second striped should be considered as a positive result.
Superficial brown secretions may occur during ectopic and frozen pregnancies. Signs of ectopic pregnancy at first is a weak increase in hCG. This is very clearly seen on the blood test, donated over time. And some women notice this when doing pregnancy tests. When the second, control strip, talking about pregnancy, does not become brighter with repeated tests. But the second method is considered unreliable. The main thing - on the ultrasound is not visible fetal eggs with a sufficiently high level of hCG. In the area of the fallopian tube, if the ovum is implanted into it, there may be tenderness. If nothing is done, everything ends with a rupture of the fallopian tube and an emergency operation. And well, if all goes well.
If brown periods during pregnancy, which has ceased to develop, arise, it is no longer so scary. Although, if tightening with scraping, removal of the ovum from the uterus, an inflammatory process can occur. Signs of missed abortion is the absence of hCG growth or even a decrease. The embryo has no heartbeat, it can be seen with ultrasound. Subjective signs - toxicosis disappears, the breast becomes softer.
The reasons not associated with pregnancy why menstruation goes brown is a lack of weight. When a girl is too thin, too little hormones are produced in her body. For this purpose, including fatty tissue, which in this case is not enough. Menstruation may disappear altogether. The girl has infertility. The situation is normalized with weight gain to normal.
The nature of menstruation after birth changes. Especially if a woman is breastfeeding. In this case, menstruation may be absent altogether. And some women come brown period after childbirth, which is sometimes a surprise. In this case, be sure to check for pregnancy. It may occur before the arrival of the first menstruation after childbirth. Even if a woman breastfeeds a baby often, on demand.
More information on the topic: http://www.missfit.ru
Monthly Browns - Causes
As you know, the duration of menstrual flow on average is about 3-5 days. During this time, about 50-70 ml of blood (up to 150 ml together with endometrial particles) is secreted from the female genital tract. The color of the discharge is bright red.
However, due to the presence of a number of reasons, periods can also be brown. This phenomenon is not considered by doctors as a variant of the norm and requires diagnostic measures to establish the type of violation. Let us try to figure out in what cases discharge from the genital tract of such a coloration can occur and what they can talk about.
Why do women have menstrual dark brown?
Before you determine the exact cause of such a violation, it should be noted that the reason for its occurrence may be the following factors:
- features of sex life
- the presence of operations on the reproductive system in the past,
- age of woman
- the presence of sexually transmitted diseases
- metabolic disorders and hormonal failure,
- exposure to external factors (acclimatization, diet, bad habits, harmful working conditions, constant stress, etc.).
So often the explanation of why the monthly brown color is going on may be the beginning of the pregnancy. At the same time, the volume of secretions themselves is small and therefore women call them daubs. First of all, women of childbearing age, who notice the sudden appearance of brown discharge, should be tested for pregnancy. If the test gave a positive result, then with similar symptoms it is necessary to turn to a gynecologist, since often a brown discharge can signal an ectopic pregnancy.
Also among the causes of menstrual dark brown, it is necessary to name the change in hormonal levels. This may be observed in the postpartum period, when the restoration of the hormonal system. At the same time, many mothers note that at first, their menstrual flow is rather scarce and has a brown color.
As mentioned above, age has a direct impact not only on the nature of the discharge, but also on their color. This, in particular, can be observed in young girls in the period of formation of the menstrual cycle. It should be noted that the establishment of monthly can take up to 1.5-2 years, during which such phenomena are possible.
Mature women, who are more than 40 years old, may have a brown menstrual flow before menopause. This phenomenon is not considered a deviation from the norm.
What diseases can cause monthly brown color?
Often, during the search for an answer to the question of why brownness is released during menstruation, doctors diagnose a gynecological disorder.
In diseases such as adenomyosis, endometriosis, endocervicitis, there is often a change in the color of secretions. At the same time, their volume also increases, which cannot but alert the girl. As a rule, it is these diseases that are the answer to the question of why a girl has a brown color at the very beginning.
It is also necessary to say that such symptoms may occur with such a violation as endometrial polyps, hyperplasia.
If we talk about why there are monthly brown color directly at the end of menstruation,
It is worth noting that this situation can talk about such a disease as cervical erosion. However, this symptom is not always regarded as a symptom of the disease, since postmenstrual secretion of blood retained in the vaginal folds is also possible.
Among the causes of menstruation with clots of brown, it is necessary to name first of all genital infections. Among these are gonorrhea, syphilis, chlamydia, etc.
Thus, as can be seen from this article, the reasons for the appearance of brown menses are sufficient. That is why it is very important to accurately determine the one that caused the violation in a particular case and begin treatment.
Monthly brown color, the cause of
Menstruation is a natural physiological process familiar to every woman. You know what to expect during your menstruation: how long it will last, which days promise to be the most difficult, and which days you will feel the worst. It is therefore not surprising that unusual discharge, such as brown daub or dark brown blood, may cause you concern.
The flow of menstruation is strictly individual, and any deviations cause concern to women.
Specificity of the female body
Every woman's periods go differently. If your cycle can be like a clock and cause only slight discomfort for a short period. And another girl during this period is not able to get out of bed for the first few days and suffers from heavy discharge. In addition, even a regular predictable cycle may vary slightly from month to month.
Why menstruation is brown
The color and consistency of blood can vary throughout the cycle. In one day they can be scanty and watery, and in the other abundant and thick. They can be bright red or brown, dark or light. Why monthly brown and what are these changes? Brown blood, most often, foreshadows the end of menstruation.
Sometimes these drops appear in the middle of the cycle, during ovulation. This is found in:
- young girls, at the beginning of the cycle,
- women before menopause,
- women taking contraceptive drugs
- women who are not regular sex life.
Irregular sex life can lead to brown discharge in the middle of the cycle.
When it is not the norm
From time to time, brown, bloody discharge is accompanied by other symptoms, which may indicate a problem. Urgently consult a doctor if this is the color of the month during pregnancy!
Consult a doctor if you have:
- monthly go more than 7 days
- there was a sharp unpleasant smell
- a large number of clots
- if the break between periods is less than 21 and longer than 35 days,
- if selections appear in between cycles,
- spotting after sex, menopause, installation "spiral",
- critical days are accompanied by fever and a feeling of chronic fatigue.
Polycystic ovary syndrome can also cause brown discharge during menstruation. Its manifestations:
- irregular cycle
- intensive hair growth
- unsuccessful attempts to conceive a child
- darkening of the skin,
- high blood pressure
The causes of polycystic ovary syndrome have not been studied. It can be hereditary and acquired. If the brown discharge is accompanied by the above symptoms, check with the doctor.
Launched polycystic ovary syndrome can lead to the development of type 2 diabetes, infertility, and cardiovascular diseases.
Heat and chronic fatigue on critical days should make a woman alert
Brown discharge and menopause
With age, the menstrual cycle changes. The period before menopause is called premenopause. Brown discharge at this time is the norm, unless they are accompanied by other disturbing symptoms. We can talk about the beginning of the menopause, when the monthly do not go for 12 months. After that, no blood or brown discharge should normally be present.
Some causes of brown daub during menopause: inflammation of the vagina, polyps on the cervix, benign tumors. All these diseases are successfully treated, especially if you go to a doctor in time.
Excretions and pregnancy
In the early stages of pregnancy, light bloody or brown discharge may occur. In this case, there is no cause for concern. See your doctor if discharge is accompanied by the following symptoms:
- pain or cramps
- weakness, dizziness, fainting,
- nausea uncharacteristic for your pregnancy.
The combination of these conditions may indicate miscarriage and other serious problems with pregnancy. Causes of miscarriage can be different: alcohol, smoking, stress, excessive exercise, rhesus-conflict of the mother and child. Brown discharge may indicate ectopic pregnancy. To identify it and avoid dangerous complications will help ultrasound. With an ectopic pregnancy, the embryo has no chance, but if you do not diagnose it in time, and not to carry out the operation, infertility cannot be avoided. That is why it is so important to pay special attention to health during pregnancy.
Brown discharge may occur after an abortion.
We advise you to read on this topic.
The reason for the occurrence of frequent periods
Why go monthly for 10 days earlier? The reason for the violation of the cycle
Scant inferior menstruation, what is the reason
VrachLady / Monthly / Monthly brown in color, the cause of
Popular articles section "Monthly"
- Monthly went 3 days instead of 6: the main reasons
- Why do menstruations begin 14 days after the previous ones?
- Causes, symptoms and treatment of weak periods (hypomenorrhea)
- How to reduce bleeding during menstruation?
- The main causes of poor monthly while taking birth control pills
- Early miscarriage, how to distinguish it from menstruation?
- The reasons why the period lasts 2 days
Subscribe Stay updated on our website
(c) 2017 Female diseases
Copying materials is allowed only with the active link to the source
Questions and suggestions: info @ .vrachlady.ru
Consultation with a doctor on the use of any drugs and procedures posted on the site is required
Characteristics of the norm
When it is smeared with brown for up to three days, there is no cause for concern. In many women, the daub begins shortly before the menstrual period, gradually acquiring the features of natural bleeding characteristic of regulam.
Suspect pathology is not necessary with the following characteristics of secretion:
- homogeneous consistency (small clots),
- reddish or brown tint
- small amount (enough daily),
- no itching and burning,
- no unpleasant smell
- occurs a few days before menstruation,
- Not every cycle is marked.
A major factor in the appearance of brown discharge with blood instead of menstruation is hormonal imbalance. It can provoke a woman herself. Certain conditions may affect the functioning of the reproductive system.
Effect of drugs
Not only hormone therapy or birth control pills provoke abnormal secretion at the very beginning of the cycle. Spotting instead of menstruation may be the result of taking the following medications:
- Antibiotics. The drugs themselves do not directly affect the female hormones. But failure occurs due to exposure to the vagina. After long-term use of antibiotics, the beneficial microflora suffers, which can affect the functioning of the uterus, as well as the ovaries. From here and insignificant brown secretion of the blooming character at a delay of the monthly. The main reason is the delayed maturation of the egg.
- Anti-ulcer drugs. In most situations, affect the stability of monthly bleeding. Often provoke a change in the duration of the cycle, as well as a delay against the background of brownish traces on the daily.
- Hemostatic means. Doctors prescribe these drugs for heavy monthly bleeding. But violation of the dose or failure to comply with instructions often becomes the cause of pseudo-months, and sometimes the complete absence of menstruation.
- Antidepressants. Drugs reduce the intensity of menstruation. With a significant duration of treatment, a situation arises when there is a brownish discharge for three days and no monthly bleeding. With antidepressants, a delay of up to three to four days is allowed.
At risk are women who take diuretic, psychotropic, anabolic (steroid) drugs.
Wrong way of life
Monthly periods can disappear because of:
- drinking alcohol
- drug addiction
- prolonged intoxication
- labor in hazardous production,
- great physical exertion.
At first, a slight delay may appear, but with a breakdown of strength and immunity, spotting during the period of the proposed menstruation is not excluded. It is possible to solve the problem only with complete abandonment of bad habits, change of work and the beginning of a correct lifestyle.
Such a load on the body in the form of a shortage of necessary trace elements in most cases provokes a delay of several days. With a sharp decrease or increase in weight monthly sometimes disappear altogether. A failure of 2-3 days with a brownish meager secret indicates that there is not enough iron in the body. Its deficiency causes dark color of blood.
Stress and strain
Great physical exertion, nervous shocks provoke problems in the work of the central nervous system, which is responsible for the flow of the entire monthly cycle. The problem manifests itself individually. Some women suffer from heavy brown discharge instead of the planned monthly, while others generally disappear menstrual bleeding.
Against the background of physiological factors, the appearance of brown discharge instead of monthly for a week is allowed only if there is no pain and discomfort. To consult a doctor is extremely important in the absence of menstruation and in the second month.
With puberty, the monthly cycle only begins to stabilize, so ovulation does not occur all the time. Because of this, there is no menstruation, and instead the girl notices a slight dark discharge. For this reason, light brown discharge may also be observed. This situation is the norm only in the first 12 months after menarche.
At about 40 years of age, the ability to bear children gradually disappears. The functions of the ovaries fade away, provoking a bloody secretion that has nothing to do with menstruation. Premenopause does not have a tight time frame, so its appearance is possible even earlier - at 35 years old.
Girls and women who, in addition to unaccustomed secretion, suffer painful sensations in the lower abdomen, genital discomfort and other unpleasant symptoms, need to be diagnosed.
Probability of pregnancy
It is also necessary to consider the appearance of brown discharge instead of menstruation as a sign of pregnancy. Therefore, you must first make a test or check the blood for hCG. And then look for other possible causes.
With the onset of fertilization, a smearing character of a beige, brown, dark shade may appear with a delay. Conception can occur only during the period of ovulation, but it is necessary to take into account that the spermatozoa remain active in the vagina for up to 7 days.
It is possible to assume an early pregnancy if instead of menstruation there are brown discharges and a little stomach ache or mammary glands hurt.
With two strips on the test, it is necessary to estimate the duration and amount of secretion. In a normal situation, brown daub should disappear on the third or fourth day if the woman is pregnant. A duration of more than a week indicates an acute shortage of progesterone, and the real threat of miscarriage is evidenced by the meager bloody secret within 10-14 days.
If there is such a sign, it is very important to pass the analysis for hCG and exclude an ectopic pregnancy.
Some patients may experience not only aching pain in the lower abdomen. Sometimes the chest hurts, and there are brown discharge, which indicates negative processes in the womb.
Postpartum recovery occurs in different ways in patients, but it cannot happen too quickly. If there is no breastfeeding, then the period may appear after a few cycles. And before this period, the appearance of brown-red discharge instead of menstruation is completely allowed.
After childbirth during lactation, monthly bleeding may not even be a year. So the body protects a woman from pregnancy so that she can fully feed the child. The reproductive system sometimes produces a non-abundant discharge with blood in the middle of the cycle, when the baby gradually goes to supplements and decreases lactation.
In most cases, incomprehensible blood secretions and delayed menstrual bleeding are characteristic of patients who have undergone surgery on the following organs:
And also accompanied by the release of a small amount of blood can:
- abortion or incomplete miscarriage
- laparoscopy for ectopic pregnancy.
On the nature of the discharge after laparoscopy, read the article on the link.
The duration of the absence of menstruation after surgery with the advent of pseudo-months depends on the following factors:
- volume of surgery,
- the duration of the procedure
- proximity of the intervention area to the reproductive organs,
- the age of the patient
- the presence of complications
- general health,
- recovery rate.
Surgery can affect the reproductive system, which does not affect the main female genital organs (abdominal cavity). Expecting menstruation after surgery is worth it with full recovery and healing.
Signs of pathology
Sometimes the delay occurs due to serious hormonal disruptions and the development of gynecological diseases. It is necessary to highlight the following reasons lush discharge brown color instead of the usual monthly:
- inflammation of the pelvic organs,
- neoplasms (benign and no),
- ectopic pregnancy
- spontaneous abortion,
- other negative processes.
Symptoms that indicate pathology:
- lower abdominal soreness
- increased body temperature
- redness of the external genital organs,
- discomfort during intercourse,
- long delay (from 10 days),
- absence of two months and more.
Light brown discharge
Inflammatory processes can become a serious problem if you do not make a diagnosis in time and do not begin treatment. Instead of menstruation, a light brown secretion of a scanty character may indicate inflammation. But it is important to consider the accompanying symptoms:
- there is itching and burning,
- can sometimes smack the lower back and lower abdomen,
- there is a sharp pain during urination,
- body temperature rises
- there is pain during sex
- in the secretions during inflammation may appear flakes, purulent pieces or clots.
With inflammation of the ovaries, menstruation may linger for a month.
A similar symptom may indicate infection. Cycle failure and pathological discharge of the described shade often cause the following diseases:
- genital herpes,
Dark and black selection
A long delay is almost always associated with negative processes in the reproductive system. When dark brownish discharge goes on for 4 days and there are no monthly periods, the following pathologies can be assumed:
- endometritis (inflammation of the lining of the uterus),
- ectopia (erosion),
- endometriosis (endometrial growth outside the uterus).
Learn from the article at the link how to treat scanty menstrual periods for endometriosis.
If, in addition to these diseases, there is also thrush (candidiasis), then there is a bloody discharge with a curd consistency.
Secretion as a sign of the appearance of tumors in the genitals
At the very beginning, the development of cancerous tumors in the reproductive system is practically not observed expressed symptoms. Therefore, the disease is difficult to diagnose solely because of the patient's well-being. Delayed menstruation is a consequence of hormonal disorders. Because of this, the doctor will first of all suspect cancer cells in the organs of the reproductive system.
Alert should be heavy discharge of dark color. They can be very thick, but against the background of the development of pathology they become watery, sometimes contain pus. In the later stages of development, the stomach starts to hurt badly, to pull the lower back, the intestines, the thigh. This means that a woman needs urgent help. The earlier the disease is detected, the higher the chance of a full recovery.
Determining the cause
Determine why go brown discharge instead of menstruation on their own is unlikely. The specialist conducts a lot of work, collecting information, studying the results of analyzes, ultrasound, history of the patient.
When smeared instead of menstruation brown discharge (dark or light), the doctor excludes the presence of negative factors. For this, the patient is asked the following questions.
- How old are women?
- Regular sex?
- Does the patient have children?
- Is breastfeeding performed if the birth was relatively recent?
- Did not precede the appearance of dark or light brown discharge instead of monthly gynecological surgery?
- Has a woman eliminated pregnancy with the test?
- Does the patient have complaints about a change in her general condition (pain, weakness, discomfort)?
In the course of finding out why there is a brown discharge, and no monthly periods, the doctor excludes the influence of external factors on the woman’s body.Any changes in lifestyle, nutrition, the presence of stressful situations, taking certain medications can cause dysfunction of menstruation.
Important! Trying to diagnose yourself the cause of failure of menstruation is inappropriate. Information on this topic is provided for your reference.
Experts recommend to immediately make a pregnancy test when detecting brown discharge instead of menstruation. If fertilization occurs, regular bleeding usually stops. But sometimes there is leakage of fluid as a result of the attachment of the ovum to the wall of the uterus.
A scanty brown discharge with a negative test can still indicate pregnancy. In some cases, the fertilized egg is implanted in the uterus within 1 to 2 weeks. Experts suggest in this case to re-test. It will be possible to get more reliable information in 7-10 days.
If another pregnancy test shows a negative result, then a slight dark brown discharge most often are the precursors of menstruation. After a few days they develop into abundant scarlet discharge.
Protection against unwanted pregnancy with oral contraceptives often provokes a small brown discharge instead of menstruation. This is due to the content in the preparations of hormones involved in the stabilization of the cycle in beautiful women. Whether daub is normal or requires adjustment of therapy is determined by the doctor.
The intrauterine device sometimes causes leakage of brown secretions instead of menstruation. This means that the system requires the replacement or selection of another method of contraception.
Breast feeding does not involve the appearance of menstruation for some time after birth. The absence of a cycle due to the fact that hormones provide lactation in women. During this period, brown discharge instead of menstruation is a sign of the beginning of the recovery cycle.
Important! If there are spotting leaks during breastfeeding, there is a chance of getting pregnant again. It is necessary to take into account this aspect, to discuss ways of contraception with your doctor.
Beginning of sex life
The first sexual contact leads to a rupture of the hymen. As a result of trauma to the tissues, blood is mixed with vaginal secretions. The color of the discharge varies from pale pink to dark brown. Subsequent sex also sometimes provokes a minor daub. After tissue regeneration, the phenomenon will cease.
Pathology during pregnancy
When you already know that you are pregnant, you must carefully monitor changes in the body. The causes of violation of menstruation, leaks instead of brown discharge are various pathologies.
- Ectopic pregnancy. Hemorrhages accompany other unpleasant symptoms (recurrent back pain, lower abdomen, weakness).
- A discharge of light brown liquid instead of menstruation is a sign of hormone deficiency (progesterone is reduced). Pathology causes abortion.
- A miscarriage that occurs is accompanied by vaginal discharge due to egg detachment.
- The phenomenon under consideration indicates the presence of various neoplasms in the urinary organs.
In addition to the listed reasons for the appearance of brown mucus during pregnancy, there are other factors that require a visit to the antenatal clinic.
Failures in the menstrual cycle quite often provoke diseases of the urinary organs or other body systems. Brown discharge instead of menstruation - a sign of the beginning of the inflammatory process in the uterus, its appendages, neck.
Infectious diseases, sexually transmitted diseases, and sometimes cause spotting vaginal discharge. The following symptoms are added to this symptom:
- unpleasant smell
- discomfort, burning, pain during urination,
- redness, swelling of mucous membranes,
- sensation during orgasm decreases,
- nagging pains in the lumbar region, in the stomach from below.
Important! Late treatment contributes to the chronization of diseases of the genitourinary sphere. These diseases cause a serious blow to the health of the woman, inhibit reproductive function.
When there is no cause for concern
Finding dark bloody discharge instead of menstruation, in some cases it is not necessary to consult a doctor. Consider the list of natural physiological processes, when a few drops of brown fluid out of the vagina in healthy representatives of the weaker sex.
- Discharge prior to the onset of monthly bleeding is considered normal.
- At the end of menstruation, the last drops of blood mixed with vaginal mucus disappear within a few days.
- If a woman takes hormones, and spotting occurs in the middle of the cycle.
- Ovulation excretions are characterized by non-abundant flow of fluid in the middle of the cycle, about a week after the end of menstruation.
- Minor damage to the mucous membrane of the vagina, resulting from violent sexual intercourse, incorrectly chosen posture, insufficient lubrication.
- Do not worry if bleeding appeared after the first sexual contact and several subsequent acts. The body needs time to regenerate damaged tissue.
- The discharge of a small amount of bleeding is considered the norm for some time after childbirth, operations, during lactation. It is necessary to consult a doctor in cases of attachment of an unpleasant smell, changes in consistency (frothy, thick, cheesy, with an admixture of pus).
In other situations, a visit to the doctor will allow you to diagnose the pathology in a timely manner, eliminate it quickly and without complications.
How will the treatment be?
Spotting instead of menstruation will be held after removing the cause of the pathological phenomenon. The actions of doctors are aimed at the treatment of common diseases, and not at the elimination of symptoms.
In the course of diagnostics and the preparation of a treatment plan, several narrow-profile physicians (gynecologist, neurologist, infectiologist, venereologist, endocrinologist, and other specialists) sometimes take part.
If the cause of the pathology is venereal diseases, then the patient will undergo a course of antibiotic therapy. The doctor selects preparations taking into account the sensitivity of the pathogen, age, body weight and other individual characteristics of the fair sex.
When diagnosing polyps in the organs of the reproductive system, conservative treatment (hormones) and surgery are used. The operation for the amputation of lesions of pathological etiology (laparoscopy) is prescribed for cancer and benign tumors in the organs of the genitourinary system.
Having found erosion, cauterization procedure is carried out. This should be done as quickly as possible in order to prevent the occurrence of complications.
Ectopic pregnancy requires an integrated approach. Often, treatment consists of taking hormonal drugs in high doses, surgery. The type of operation is determined by the doctor, taking into account the place of attachment, the size of the embryo, and other features of the patient.
Important! Modern methods of treatment, even in difficult running situations, allow not only to save a woman from pathology, but also to preserve or restore reproductive function.
Among the many recipes of traditional medicine, we consider ways to eliminate irregularities in the menstrual cycle. It should be noted that it is advisable to apply such treatment only when spotting leaks are caused by natural physiological changes in the woman's body. In case of serious pathologies, infections, it is necessary to eliminate the cause of the disorders with medical or surgical means. The recipes of traditional medicine can be used as a supplement to the main treatment.
- Before bed you need to drink a glass of warm milk. Previously add a few pinches of dried saffron flowers.
- A decoction of carrot seeds drink 2 tablespoons twice a day every day until the usual spotting during menstruation goes. For the preparation of funds in a glass of boiling water insist 1 teaspoon of seeds for several hours.
- Aloe juice is offered to drink 3 tablespoons twice a day. This method will help regulate the menstrual cycle. Aloe can be replaced by pineapple juice. Consume the same amount daily.
- Douching with broths from healing herbs. For preparation means suitable dried St. John's wort or nettle. In a liter of water, brew 2 tablespoons of the product, insist, filter. The procedure is performed at bedtime every day.
Folk healers propose to increase the amount of onion, green onion and garlic in your diet. Often dysfunction due to a lack of vitamins in a woman's body.
Doctors give some tips on preventing the dysfunction of the menstrual cycle. Following simple recommendations will reduce the likelihood of luster brown instead of menstruation.
- It is necessary to wear linen from natural fabrics, suitable in size.
- Careful personal hygiene.
- Meals should be balanced. Include in the diet a sufficient amount of meat, fish, fruits, vegetables, dairy and other healthy products.
- It is advisable to minimize the use of spicy, too salty, acidic foods.
- General strengthening of the immune system involves the observance of the correct mode of work and rest, exercise, walking in the fresh air.
- Getting rid of bad habits. Excessive drinking and smoking negatively affect the general condition of the woman, inhibit the protective functions of the body.
- A woman should try to ensure a comfortable psycho-emotional state (avoid stressful situations, do not be nervous, do not overwork).
Attention to your health consists of prevention, timely treatment of any pathologies that have arisen in the body. Women living in harmony with the outside world, much less complain about the scarce or abundant brown discharge instead of menstruation. Therefore, it is important to learn not to get upset about trifles, to smile more often.
How to get rid of fibroids once and for all?
And finally, we will share with you a story.
Irina Kravtsova in her blog told how she got rid of fibroids without surgery.
Here is what she writes: "I never thought that I would write public appeals, but I can not help but boast of my discovery. I’ll run a little ahead and say that I finally found a really working way that completely freed me from myoma without an operation!"
When instead of menstruation brown discharge and sharply pain in the abdomen, we can assume the formation of a tumor with fluid in the ovaries. Menstruation may be weak or plentiful. A common symptom for an ovarian cyst is a delay of 5 days to a month. Psevdomachnye can anoint a few days, often accompanied by aching pain in the lower abdomen. Read about the nature of the discharge in an ovarian cyst in one of our articles by reference.
After reviewing the material presented in the article, it should be concluded about the need for regular visits to the gynecologist. What exactly caused the appearance of this phenomenon, can only determine the doctor. The specialist, after a thorough examination and diagnosis, will take therapeutic measures regarding abnormal vaginal secretions.
Why are the monthly brown?
In a normal day, a woman should have about 50 ml of dark menstrual blood with a sour characteristic odor. Brown discharge may be present on the first day of the cycle, but if the situation does not change in the future, you should be examined to determine the cause of the failure. How are the normal discharge from women can be seen in the photo.
Normal female discharge
Monthly brown color is often accompanied by failures in the menstrual cycle. There are clots with a sharp uncharacteristic smell, a decrease in the amount of discharge.
Scalding brown during menstruation
A scanty discharge during critical days is first brown, then red - the norm for many women, since often this feature is hereditary. But sometimes hypomenorrhea develops against the background of congenital pathologies of the reproductive system, hormonal imbalance, anemia, vitamin deficiency, and climate change.
Dark-brown, almost black-smear is a frequent sign of severe infectious pathologies, venereal diseases, fibroids, and cervical cancer. A decrease in the daily volume of discharge may be accompanied by headache, discomfort in the groin, lower back, nausea, fever.
What diseases cause brown discharge instead of menstruation:
- normal pregnancy or ectopic - weak spotting appear a few days before the delay of menstruation, can last for several hours
- malfunctions in the pituitary and ovaries, hormonal imbalance - dirty periods are often during menopause, in adolescents, they may appear a week before menstruation,
- endometrial growth is a consequence of abortions, chronic foci of inflammation in the pelvic organs, a similar symptom may indicate genital tuberculosis,
- genital damage, gynecological surgery,
- nervous and physical fatigue, depressive states - a strange color discharge may appear at the beginning of the cycle,
- abrupt or frequent weight changes,
- long reception of Djufastona, at cancellation of a hormonal contraceptive Three-Regol.
Brown discharge may be caused by the growth of the endometrium.
Minor light brown discharge after menstruation or in the middle of the cycle is normal, but if they have a strong odor, last more than 2 days, you should consult with a gynecologist.
Vaginal secretions of a similar color at the end, beginning or middle of the cycle may indicate non-compliance with personal hygiene, cervical erosion, polyps and malignant tumors, occurs when taking abortive drugs, often in women after childbirth, in violation of the integrity of the mucous during sex.
Why do brown clots appear during menstruation?
Clots are almost always present in the menstrual flow - this is due to the rejection of the endometrium, but if they acquire a brown color, this may indicate some pathologies.
Causes of brown clots:
- increased body temperature during menstruation,
- infectious lesion of the uterus - endometritis,
- ectopic pregnancy.
Endometriosis is a common cause of brown secretions.
Discharges with an unpleasant smell of brown color indicate the presence of pathogenic microorganisms in the genital organs, a symptom occurs when adnexitis, thrush, colpitis, cervical erosion, neoplasms of different origin.
Brown discharge often occurs on the background of improperly chosen means of oral contraception, after installing an ectopic helix.
What are dangerous monthly brown?
The strange color of menstruation blood may indicate endocrine disorders, infectious and inflammatory processes - all of these factors significantly reduce the likelihood of conception, normal gestation.
Against the background of severe inflammatory processes, adhesions appear, the infection begins to spread to other organs, which is fraught with the occurrence of chronic pathologies, sepsis.
Brown discharge brown during pregnancy may indicate detachment of the placenta, which is fraught with miscarriage. Highlight scarlet - a sign of missed abortion.
What to do with brown menses?
With the appearance of brown secretions, it is necessary to do a pregnancy test, look at the calendar in which steel the cycle is located. If the test is negative and overall well-being is normal, you should reconsider the daily routine - rest more, get enough sleep, do not be nervous about every occasion.
With the appearance of brown secretions need to do a pregnancy test
If the discharge continues for a long time, has a strange shade, there is a pulling or sharp pain in the lower abdomen, discomfort during sexual contact and during urination, itching of the genital organs - do not postpone the visit to the clinic. High temperature combined with pulling pain in the lumbar region and in the region of appendages - you need to call an ambulance.
With brown menses, it is senseless and dangerous to self-medicate, because there are many causes of such secretions and they are not always caused by health problems. Medicines are selected by the doctor after examination and diagnosis, sometimes curettage, surgical intervention is required.
The main groups of drugs:
- antibiotics in tablets and suppositories - Cefixime, Amoxiclav, Hexicon, Metronidazole,
- противовоспалительные препараты – Кетопрофен, Рапид, Тержинан, Мовалис,
- противовирусные средства – Циклоферон, Ацикловир,
- drugs against vaginal candidiasis - Pimafucin, Klion-D,
- oral contraceptives with estrogen and progestin - Yarin, Janine,
- preparations for the correction of hormonal background - Norcolut, Goserelin,
- medications to restore the menstrual cycle - Profazi, Metrodin,
- funds that reduce the tone of myometrium - Ginipral, No-spa,
- vitamins, fortifying agents.
Ginipral reduces the tone of myometrium
If the brown discharge is not very abundant, has a homogeneous composition, without a strong odor and impurities, they are caused by natural processes that occur in the body of a woman. But if other unpleasant symptoms appear, the temperature rises, an urgent need to visit a doctor.
Rate this article
(1 ratings, average 5,00 from 5)