Author: Ekaterina Sibileva, last edited date 07/03/2017
Ectopic pregnancy is a pathology in which the fertilized egg does not reach its proper place and is fixed in the ovary or fallopian tube. At the moment, it is known that approximately two percent of women have an ectopic pregnancy.
Already 12 girls left a comment in this thread. Find out what problems readers face.
Symptoms and effects
The only place where it is possible to carry a child is the womb. The fruit egg, which has not reached it, perishes. In modern medicine, the causes of ectopic pregnancy are not fully known.
Identify the main risk factors:
- Hormonal insufficiency.
- Inflammatory diseases of the uterus (adhesions and obstruction of the fallopian tubes).
- Tumors of the uterus and its appendages.
- Abnormal development of the uterus and appendages.
Complications of ectopic pregnancy:
- Bleeding into the abdominal cavity and hemorrhagic shock.
- Deadly outcome.
In the future, after surgical removal of the fallopian tubes during ectopic pregnancy, infertility develops.
Fallopian tubes serve as a frequent location for the attachment of a fruit egg; late detection of pathology implies surgical intervention. During the operation, one or two tubes are cut, which reduces the chances of a future conception. But even with their complete absence, you can get pregnant. IVF is the fertilization of the egg outside the uterus.
Monthly with ectopic pregnancy
Menstruation is an abundant discharge of blood from the uterus, containing endometrial clots (the inner layer of the uterus). The enzymes contained in the blood during menstruation are darker than in the vessels. Does not have the ability to fold.
Ectopic pregnancy is accompanied by the appearance of bloody discharge from the genital tract or bleeding. Often, such discharge is taken for menstruation, which greatly complicates the diagnosis and increases the chances of an adverse outcome of the disease.
Facts to distinguish between menstruation and bleeding during ectopic pregnancy:
- Pain in the pelvis during menstruation gradually decreases.
- Unpleasant sensations in the chest pass with the onset of the menstrual period.
- Does not suffer appetite.
- Smell is not annoying smells, pleasant to others.
- Menstrual flow is relatively uniform, similar to previous ones. Duration is 3 - 7 days.
- Menstruation occurs on schedule.
Such symptoms are very conditional and subjective. An exact diagnosis can be made by the doctor after the examination of the patient.
With any pregnancy, periods do not go. The body creates all the conditions for optimal childbearing. Progesterone, on which a lot depends on the course of pregnancy, produced in large quantities, inhibits ovulation and prevents the rejection of the endometrium.
The bleeding that occurs with symptoms such as: weakness, dizziness, nagging pain in a certain place in the lower abdomen, serve as a reason for immediate treatment in the hospital and indicate an ectopic pregnancy.
Often, ultrasound doctors (ultrasound) do not see an ectopic pregnancy, but can be determined by a number of factors:
- large amounts of fluid behind the uterus,
- a small formation in the appendage area on one side,
- the absence of a fertilized egg in the uterus,
- the content of hCG in the blood does not correspond to the period, the increase is less than 1.5 times.
The cause and nature of the discharge
During normal pregnancy, blood may appear from the vagina. The reasons:
- Cervical erosion. Increasing in size, can cause inflammatory diseases.
- Decidual polyp.
- Injury during examination of the gynecologist or during sexual intercourse.
- The miscarriage has begun.
The nature of the discharge during ectopic pregnancy is darker than on the days of menstruation, and has an atypical consistency.
By the nature of attachment of the ovum, there are:
With progressive ectopic pregnancy, the fertilized egg is fixed in the mucous membrane. Subsequently, there is a rupture of the tissues of the organs and damage to the blood vessels. Separating, together with the blood, the ovum enters the abdominal cavity, which leads to infection and the development of peritonitis. Blood accumulates in large quantities. Massive bleeding can lead to the death of a woman.
A favorable coincidence for a woman with an ectopic pregnancy can be spontaneous detachment of a fruit egg and its release with bleeding.
Symptoms for going to a doctor
Menstruation in the first 2 months, in the presence of an ectopic pregnancy, may appear on the expected days. You can not guess about this situation, but the constant presence of blood smears on underwear indicates pathology.
Adverse symptoms over a period of 3 to 8 weeks:
- Pain in lower abdomen (may be cutting, aching). In certain cases, pain may occur in the anus, intestine.
- Fainting, pale complexion can be observed with the loss of blood in large quantities. Often, pressure drops, poorly palpable pulse.
- Uterine bleeding may occur when the tissue ruptures the fetal egg.
In addition, symptoms of pregnancy may be present:
- The mammary glands are increasing in size.
- Taste changes.
- Change in sex drive.
- Reaction to different smells.
- Nausea and vomiting (signs of toxicosis).
- Increased urination.
Any vaginal discharge during pregnancy is a reason to immediately consult a doctor.
Can menstruation go if ectopic pregnancy
As a rule, after the meeting of the mature egg with the sperm, menstruation ends. Up to this point, the body was preparing for conception, and the uterus underwent the changes necessary for implantation and development of zygotes. The hormonal system has been actively working on the production of progesterone, which is why the menstruations stopped regular appearance.
In the early stages of pregnancy, women sometimes notice bloody discharge from the genital tract. Unaware of their "interesting position", they take them for their normal periods.
However, in fact it is false monthly, the occurrence of which does not correspond to the phase of the cycle. Compared with normal bleeding, abnormal periods are poorly or intensely, have a dark color (brown or rich burgundy) and a pasty consistency.
Why come the wrong periods in the case of ectopic pregnancy? There are several reasons for this phenomenon:
- Rejection of the ovum. In addition to bleeding, women are bothered by pitting pains in the lower abdomen that extend to the rectal area. The selection itself is scanty.
- Fertilized egg develops on the cervix. In such a situation, the bleeding is heavy and prolonged. The blood vessels are concentrated on the neck. Implantation of a foreign body damages them and provokes pseudo-month during ectopic pregnancy.
- Rupture of uterine tube. Dark brown discharge, the number of which is rapidly increasing, and increased pain in the lower abdomen suggest that the tube burst under the influence of a growing embryo. The similar problem is eliminated by urgent surgical intervention. In the absence of timely medical care, intra-abdominal bleeding begins, which is dangerous with sepsis and death.
- Exit of a ruptured ovum. The bursting wall of the egg gives a dark brown discharge on the type of daubs and abdominal pain. Discomfort does not last long. To prevent complications, patients are sent to curettage the uterine cavity.
And yet sometimes with ectopic pregnancy go monthly. This happens in the early period of gestation, when conception took place at the end of the cycle. The time interval between fertilization and egg attachment can be 5-7 days. Fetal egg does not have time to fully gain a foothold until the end of the cycle and send the body a signal to produce progesterone. This is a very rare occurrence, but it still takes place in gynecology. The woman has normal periods.
One of the causes of ectopic pregnancy is hormonal failure. It is provoked by endocrine pathologies and the incorrect use of hormonal drugs. The same factors influence the appearance of false constructions.
Symptoms of ectopic pregnancy
Having figured out whether women have menstrual periods during ectopic pregnancy or not, consider the signs that are worth paying attention to.
In the early stages, pathology often develops asymptomatically, and even doctors cannot recognize it right away. It is possible to diagnose WB by 6–8 weeks of development, when the embryo grows to a certain size.
If the zygote breaks its location, ectopic pregnancy is manifested by symptoms such as:
- Nausea in the morning.
- Pallor of the skin.
- Low pressure.
- Increased body temperature.
- The presence of the second strip on the test, but its color is not as bright as usual.
- Severe pain from the side of the abdomen where the fertilized egg was attached. Discomfort will spread to the rectum.
- Severe prolonged bleeding from the genital tract, resembling a typical menstruation.
In general, the symptoms of ectopic pregnancy resemble the usual gestation. Analyzes can even show elevated levels of hCG. However, improper attachment of the embryo will sooner or later lead to the need to get rid of it.
In the case of ectopic development of the ovum, pseudomenstruation occurs in 60% of cases. Dark discharge with consistency of coffee grounds is the first sign of a violation in the gynecological system and requires urgent treatment to the doctor.
What is dangerous ectopic pregnancy
Abnormal gestation cannot resolve on its own. It threatens the health and life of a woman, because the normal development of the fetus occurs only in the uterus. Having a child if the fetus is not properly attached, the ectopic pregnancy does not end, but the consequences are dangerous:
- Internal bleeding.
- Repeat wb.
- Rupture of the place where the egg was fixed.
- Inflammatory and / or adhesions in the pelvis.
- Deadly outcome.
The condition in question provokes rather serious complications, so women should clearly understand whether they can be menstruating with an ectopic pregnancy and listen to their health.
There can be no normal menstruation after conceiving a child, since after the merger of the egg cell with the sperm cell, the functions of the hormonal system are reduced to creating the conditions necessary for maintaining the pregnancy.
As a result, progesterone levels increase, which inhibits the cyclical process. Any bleeding is false monthly. They warn about the rupture of tissues of the area where the fertilized egg was fixed.
Independently recognize ectopic pregnancy women can not. The next bleeding is regarded by them as the onset of a new cycle. The situation is complicated by the fact that the signs of normal and ectopic gestation are the same. However, in any situation there are symptoms that require immediate treatment to the doctor.
For ectopic pregnancy such symptoms will be:
- Lower abdominal pain.
- Unexpected bleeding or daub.
- Changes in the intensity and consistency of bleeding.
- The impossibility of accurate interpretation of the pregnancy test (the strips appear weakly).
- The presence of subjective signs of pregnancy (irritability, delayed menstruation, engorgement of the mammary glands, nausea).
Pseudo-monthly in medical practice are common. In ectopic pregnancy, they signal the breakdown of tissues with the subsequent release of the ovum and mucous and bloody mass into the abdominal cavity. An infection of the body occurs and peritonitis develops.
To correct an ectopic pregnancy is impossible. Remember about its danger and do not expect that the situation will be resolved by itself. Doctors know of cases where anomalous pregnancy developed asymptomatically for 3 months, but subsequently the internal genital organs were torn due to an increase in the fetus.