Childbirth is always a big burden on the female body. During pregnancy, the body of a woman experiences powerful hormonal changes. The resumption of menstruation is a sign that the body has already returned to its former state. Therefore, every mother wants to know when the period begins after childbirth.
Many millennia, monthly after childbirth began after the complete cessation of breastfeeding. This is due to the fact that breastfeeding has been practiced until the child reaches 2–3 years of age, when a full transition to adult food is already possible. However, now all borders have been erased, as the supplements begin already in the first months of the baby’s life. If you apply the lure immediately, then the menstrual cycle is restored by 4 months. Each rule has exceptions, so it happens that menstruation after childbirth can begin at the most unexpected time. Many young mothers mistakenly think that the onset of a new pregnancy during feeding is impossible, but this is far from the case. In itself, the presence of prolactin in the body, although it prevents the onset of normal menstruation, but can not affect the maturation and release of the egg from the ovaries. If for one reason or another, a young mother does not have the opportunity to breastfeed at all, then periods after childbirth can begin within a month after delivery, immediately after the end of postpartum hemorrhage. But still it happens more often on the 10th week. Many young mothers are also mistaken, believing that the period of recovery of the menstrual cycle depends on the course of the birth process. In fact, it depends only on the lactation period and its characteristics. It does not have the slightest value - whether the birth took place in a natural way or with surgery.
There are cases when young mothers took postpartum blood for the onset of menstruation. Despite their external similarity, they have a completely different purpose and nature. Over time, such secretions change color and smell, which is associated with the healing of the inner wound surface in the uterus.
Forecasting the time when menstruation begins after childbirth, especially individually. With the beginning of the first menstruation, the menstrual cycle setting begins. Most often, a normal cycle begins immediately, from the first menstrual period, but there are also cases when it takes several months. If this has not happened over time, then it is necessary to consult a gynecologist, since an irregular cycle can be a sign of various diseases of the genital organs or tumors.
There is an opinion that after the birth of the child the problem of painful periods disappears. This assumption is not without a grain of truth, the pain almost always disappears, but copious periods after childbirth in some cases may persist. This is due to the fact that after pregnancy and childbirth the bend of the uterus disappears, which provokes pain, delaying the outflow of blood.
The absence of menstruation after the complete cessation of feeding or their extreme scarcity should also be suspicious. This can be a sign of serious disruption of homeostasis in the body and have disastrous consequences.
It should be remembered that menstruation after childbirth is very serious and should be carefully followed. In any case, even if you look perfectly healthy, you should carefully look at every detail. Do not forget about regular visits to the gynecologist, since it is he who can see the nascent disease in the bud. Particularly important is the visit to the antenatal clinic after delivery and after the cessation of postpartum discharge. If you have any suspicions, it is better to be safe and consult a doctor.
When do monthly periods begin?
A postpartum recovery is given at least 42 days. By the end of this period, a woman may have a brown or yellow vaginal discharge. Already in 14-21 days after that, the first cyclic spotting may occur in a woman. With the onset of menstruation, the female body "signals" that it is ready for a new pregnancy. But how soon this condition comes is largely dependent on the continuation or absence of breastfeeding.
If lactation is not supported
If for some reason breastfeeding does not continue, “critical days” are restored more quickly. Immediately after birth, the body reduces the production of prolactin, so the cyclic secretion of FSH and LH is resumed. This contributes to the normal transformation of the endometrium. And monthly can come already in 50-60 days from the moment of delivery.
The same pattern with menstruation is observed after artificial childbirth (late miscarriage). In such situations, it is necessary to understand that with the onset of the ovulatory cycle, the woman becomes fertile (capable of producing offspring).
If lactation is supported
If a woman supports lactation, the beginning of the "critical days" can be postponed up to a year or even two. Much depends on the following factors.
- Do night feedings. During the night's sleep, the whole body “changes”. If a woman tries to avoid breastfeeding at this time, the cycle will recover faster.
- Does the baby feed a mixture. If a woman at least once a day additionally gives the crumbs artificial mixtures, since she lacks breastfeeding, the cycle also resumes sooner. The first menstrual bleeding can go after 50-90 days after delivery.
- Is used for baby lure. With the introduction of complementary foods, the number of breastfeeding is reduced. The woman's body immediately responds to these changes by restoring the cycle.
As soon as the woman completes the lactation completely, if the cycle has not recovered before this point, the first menstrual flow should come within two to three months. If this does not happen, it is better to consult a doctor for further examination and consultation.
Abundant or not
Often at the moment when menstruation comes after childbirth, a woman is extremely surprised by the amount of discharge. Normally, some increase in the volume of blood lost is allowed, but if more than two “maxi” pads are taken per hour, you should consult a specialist. On average, the volume of blood loss should not exceed 80-100 ml for the entire period of "critical days", this is about 10-20 ml of blood per day. If you exceed the number, you can talk about uterine bleeding.
In the first few months, the discharge may include small blood clots, especially after a cesarean section or other intrauterine devices (for example, after removal of myomatous nodes). The causes of such heavy periods after childbirth are explained by the violation of the integrity of the endometrium and myometrium, which leads to anomalous contractile activity.
Painful or not
If before the birth menstruation was painful, most likely they will remain the same after. Rarely on the opinions of women can be sure of the opposite.
In the first few months after the restoration of the cycle after childbirth, menstrual flow may be accompanied by greater pain than usual. Especially if they start during lactation. The baby, irritating the nipple, stimulates the release of oxytocin, which is caused by stronger uterine contractions. Also in the following cases, menstruation can become painful.
- After operative delivery. If a caesarean section was performed, removal of myoma nodes, uterine cavity walls, manipulation is accompanied by injury to the inner layer of the uterus and scar formation. The healing process lasts several months. At the same time, the first and several subsequent periods can be more painful, as the inner layer of the uterus, immediately adjacent to the sutures, is rejected. Also, pain may be caused by the adhesive process in the pelvis after surgery.
- If there were tears in labor. All injuries can also be felt by a woman for more than six months. If there were extensive cervical tears in labor, after matching and suturing of tissues, stenosis (narrowing) of the cervical canal can form. This will impede the flow of menstrual blood, causing pain. In such situations, medical care is needed - an instrumental dilation of the cervical canal.
- Endometriosis. During lactation, hormones are favorable for reducing the manifestations of endometriosis. However, with the restoration of the cycle of pain and daub can come back.
- Uterine fibroids. The presence of large nodes or many small ones can also give pain associated with the contraction of the uterus.
- Retroflection. When the uterus is positioned at a posterior angle, women more often note that a stomach ache during “critical days”. This is due to the anatomical location and force of contractions of the myometrium for the expulsion of secretions from the cavity. Symptoms are particularly pronounced when combined with uterine myoma or endometriosis.
- Inflammation. Painful periods may indicate inflammation in the uterus and appendages. Characterized by discoloration and smell of discharge - they become dark brown, yellowish with an unpleasant and even putrid odor. The temperature may rise.
- Navy in the cavity. Rarely, but still practiced, the establishment of the intrauterine device on the seventh-tenth day after birth. Often monthly with the Navy more painful and abundant.
Regular or not
Women are not only worried about when menstruation begins after childbirth during breastfeeding, but also about whether they should be regular. Hormonal fluctuations that occur on the background of lactation, often predispose to irregular periods. Within 90 days after the establishment of menstrual function, they should take a more or less rhythmic character and begin in 21-35 days. If in one month a break is 22, and in another - 32, this can also be considered a variant of the norm.
In the case when periods were irregular before pregnancy, most likely, there will be delays after pregnancy.
The following factors may influence the restoration of regular cycle after childbirth.
- Excess prolactin. Even before pregnancy, many women face problems of conception due to a rise in the level of prolactin. Symptoms of this pass a little while breastfeeding. However, after the cessation of lactation, the menstrual cycle fails to recover.
- Excess estrogen. An increased amount of estrogen alters the balance of hormones after childbirth, which leads to irregular periods. "Hidden estrogens" are found in the adipose tissue of the woman. Therefore, all those who are “kinder” after childbirth, are threatened with failures of the menstrual cycle.
- Pathology of the pituitary gland. Preeclampsia of the second half of pregnancy, increased pressure, severe blood loss during childbirth can lead to necrosis (death) of the pituitary gland. Sheehan syndrome develops. One of its manifestations is the absence of menstruation after childbirth, signs of disruption of the work of other endocrine organs.
- Diseases of the thyroid gland. Hypothyroidism also leads to disruptions of the menstrual cycle, since the thyroid hormones greatly affect the functioning of the entire reproductive system. Simultaneously with the increase in the cycle duration, the woman will notice an increased fragility of the nails, dry skin and hair, weakness, and drowsiness.
- Stress. New living conditions, nocturnal sleep deprivation and other causes of psycho-emotional overstrain do not pass without a trace for the female body. All this entails disruptions of the menstrual cycle.
- Operations on the appendages. Sometimes during a cesarean section, it is necessary to remove the ovaries or parts of them. In this case, it is impossible to say exactly when the cycle will be restored and how it will be. Sometimes it takes a long time to take oral contraceptives.
How much time goes by and what should be the postpartum month-giving birth to women who need to know. This will help them in time to identify abnormalities in their body and consult a doctor. The following points should alert and become a reason for consultation with a gynecologist:
- menstruation did not come three months after the end of lactation,
- menstruation excessively heavy for two or three consecutive cycles,
- during menstruation, dizziness, weakness,
- "Critical days" unbearably painful,
- monthly irregular, with periodic daubs,
- the girl notes the foul smell of the discharge,
- suspected new pregnancy on the background of lactation,
- if a woman has any gynecological diseases (fibroids, endometriosis).
Only a specialist can reliably find out the cause of violations, prescribe effective treatment and make recommendations for the preservation of women's health.
Diagnostics with deviations
In order to find out the cause of the disturbances and even the time after which the monthly periods begin after birth, a number of diagnostic studies must be performed.
A routine gynecological examination will not give much information. During it, you can identify the pathology of the cervix (can give intermenstrual daub), new pregnancy, uterine myoma.
More useful in this case is to perform a pelvic ultrasound. With its help, it is possible to identify the mass lesions (tumors), determine the thickness of the endometrium and assume the time of the next menstruation, as well as assess the ovarian function.
Cycle Normalization Tips
Often, violations are functional, and you can correct the situation by following simple tips. The following guidelines will help minimize various disruptions of the menstrual cycle.
- Watch for body weight. As soon as the “extra source” of estrogens is eliminated as an excess of subcutaneous fat, the menstrual cycle will begin to normalize.
- Fully relax. Many problems in women arise from psycho-emotional overstrain. The ability to effectively relax, to perceive negative information correctly will help to preserve women's health.
- Maintain physical activity. Physical activity increases endurance and resistance to stress, as well as a great way to control body weight.
- Take vitamin complexes. There are specially selected complexes for the normalization of menstrual function. For example, "Time Factor", "Tsiklovita".
Thus, it is impossible to unequivocally say after how many after the birth monthly periods begin. The body of each woman is individual. But it’s not worth waiting for the cycle to become “ideal” if there were obvious violations before. On average, in terms of duration, amount of discharge and pain, critical days will be the same as they were before birth. If you suspect a deviation should consult a doctor.
When do they begin with GW?
When breastfeeding, according to experts, the beginning of the cycle will occur in six to eight months. It should be borne in mind that the process of resuming menstruation is individual for any woman..
These statistics are not an indicator of the norm. Someone monthly begin three months after childbirth, but someone does not have them at all during the entire period of lactation. Both are absolutely normal.
Usually, the monthly return in the period when in the usual schedule of GW some changes occur. For example, supplementing is introduced or the baby is started to be fed with a bottle mixture.
Postpartum discharge in no way associated with the arrival of menstruation.. They have nothing to do with monthly.
Reasons for restoring critical days
If a woman takes hormonal contraceptives while breastfeeding a baby, then menstruation after childbirth, on the contrary, may be delayed.
This is due to the onset of the so-called ovarian hyper-inhibition in the body.. There is nothing dangerous about it. After discontinuation of the drug, menstruation can be expected in about four months.
What should be postpartum discharge?
After the birth of a child, a woman will begin abundant discharge.. They are called lochia. Lochia consists mainly of blood cells, as well as dead endometrial particles, which occurs during the separation of the placenta.
Discharge is extremely abundant only in the first few days after birth. In the future, gradually the amount of blood in lochia decreases, and after about a month and a half, all the secretions disappear. Postpartum discharge and menstruation are different things.
Monthly breastfeeding can occur as they did before pregnancy., but in most cases, women say that feelings during menstruation are different. If, before giving birth, the young mother's menstruation was painful, then after the birth, they begin to pass more smoothly.
The peculiarity of menstruation during breastfeeding is also in the fact that a few days before their arrival, the breast becomes more sensitive and swells.
What is affected?
First of all, the frequency of menstruation is associated with the hormonal background of the woman. Скорость восстановления нормального уровня гормонов после родов при лактации зависит от того, как идёт грудное вскармливание.
Как уже отмечалось выше, менструация имеет прямую связь с ГВ и восстановление цикла зависит от нескольких факторов:
- введение прикорма,
- частота прикладывания к груди,
- докармливание ребенка смесью,
- no night feeding
- complete abandonment of GW.
Any of these factors may be the starting point of a new menstrual cycle after childbirth. Therefore, a woman, introducing baby food, adding artificial formula or reducing nightly breastfeeding, should be prepared in advance for what may soon begin her period.
The fact is that Nursing mothers produce a special hormone in the body - prolactin. Influence on the production of this hormone has breastfeeding. Prolactin inhibits the arrival of menstruation.
In most cases, the more often the mother puts the baby to the breast, the lower the probability of the occurrence of her critical days. Conversely, if the number of feedings is reduced - the probability of the arrival of monthly increases.
Stabilization of the monthly cycle during breastfeeding can take on average from one to four months. There are several points on which the timing of the return of a stable menstrual cycle depends.:
- psychological and physical condition of a woman
- birth complications (presence or absence),
- bad habits.
If the woman during the feeding period still began menstruating, then their delay is not a deviation. A full amount of time is required for full cycle recovery. This is due to the fact that the level of hormones can not normalize in one moment.
It takes several months. The first periods after childbirth may well take place with a delay or, on the contrary, the gap between them may become shorter.
After the lactation period is over
After full completion of breastfeeding, the first menstruation usually begins in a month or two. According to statistics, menstrual periods after HB are observed in 80% of women, in the remaining 20% they begin even during feeding.
Both in the first and in the second case it takes several months to complete the recovery cycle.
When come without breastfeeding?
There are situations in which the mother has to abandon breastfeeding immediately after the birth of the baby. In this case The ability to ovulate in the body will resume approximately 10-12 weeks after delivery, which means that around the same time, menstruation will begin.
In conclusion, we summarize that feeding a newborn has a direct effect on the timing of the return of the “red days”. It is not considered a pathology of the resumption of menstruation during feeding.
Delays in this period are absolutely normal, as it takes some time to restore the cycle. After the start of the menstruation process, it is advisable for a woman to visit a gynecologist.
What caused the absence of menstruation?
The lack of regulation in women in the postpartum period is directly caused by lactation and constant attachment of the baby to the breast. This contributes to increased production of prolactin, an increase in the mammary glands. After childbirth, menstruation in the first few months of breastfeeding is the norm.
Women should not be confused lochia with menstruation. This is not the same thing. The appearance of lochia in the first 1.5-2 months of the postpartum period provokes an overly injured uterus, the discharge of dead epithelium particles to the outside. Similar allocation provokes cesarean section. Normally, when they first leave the rich red color, then gradually change color to brown. After 1-2 weeks, they begin to move away with slight bloody streaks. As a result, must stop completely.
If the birth proceeded without complications, then the regulation throughout the entire lactation period should not be due to the overwhelming effect of prolactin on ovulation.
The body in the postpartum period is at the stage of regeneration, recovery. As a rule, the period duration is 3-6 months and a new pregnancy at this stage is excluded. Although a large role is played by the individual characteristics of women and the premature onset of ovulation even in nursing mothers is quite acceptable.
If the baby is immediately transferred to infant formula, then lactation as such does not occur, and the regulators should go after about 1 month. In women who do not breastfeed, recovery is observed after 6-8 weeks, when the first menstrual periods begin. This time is quite enough for the maturation of the new follicle and egg cell, the normalization of ovarian function, the renewal of the uterine mucosa.
It is extremely important for mothers not to interrupt the lactation period, and to feed the child at the first call, even at night. Eliminate feedings permits, and if there is an excess of milk, do not forget about timely pumping of the breast so that the milk arrives on time and is normal.
Many mothers are at a loss, blaming the situation on a hormonal imbalance, when regulae come in, even when breastfeeding, a new pregnancy is detected a little later. These cases are, although the body is completely unprepared for new trials. Planning a new pregnancy for women is recommended to endure for at least 1.5 years.
Cycle recovery time
Many mothers are worried when their periods will begin after birth. The menstrual cycle immediately after conceiving a child seems to be turned off. Critical days will not come, they will not bother women throughout pregnancy, because the glands of the endocrine system are functioning in an intensive manner. Then the body begins to recover, and with it - hormones.
Return to the usual rhythm after birth occurs gradually. On average, it takes 7-8 weeks. Affect the speed of recovery can:
- internal chronic diseases
- course of pregnancy.
Normally, when the uterus gradually shrinks and shrinks in size, the external pharynx closes, the mammary glands increase, and milk production begins.
The menstrual cycle can recover for a long time in the case of:
- Caesarean section
- complicated labor
- abrupt climate change
- late childbirth after 30 years,
- nervous strain, stress,
- The birth of 2-3 babies in a row at short intervals,
- hormonal imbalance due to the development of infectious diseases (adnexitis, cyst).
In these cases, there is a delay in menstruation after birth. If a woman does not breastfeed the baby, then a change in the menstrual cycle is quite possible.
When to expect menstruation?
Doctors do not specify a specific period when they should begin menstruation after childbirth during breastfeeding. All purely individual. It is normal if, after cessation of breastfeeding, menstruation should return again after about 1 month after the baby is 1 year old. Although this happens only with a late introduction of complementary foods, when the ovaries temporarily fade and cease to function. With the termination of the lactation period, prolactin production in the pituitary gland and monthly.
In the case of a combination of artificial and breastfeeding infants, the regulae may begin 4-6 months after delivery. If you do not breastfeed the baby immediately, then the first discharge is noticeable after 8-10 weeks. This time is enough for the maturation of the follicle and egg, normalization of ovarian function.
It happens that on the background of cesarean section, menstruation comes immediately, 1-2 weeks after the end of the process of lochia discharge. At the same time the follicle quickly forms, the layer of an endometria will grow and becomes magnificent. In this case, it is quite possible the onset of ovulation, and therefore - unplanned pregnancy. For the first time, women are still advised to avoid sexual contact, to protect themselves or to feed the baby constantly and with full dedication.
Monthly breastfeeding may begin much earlier on the background of hormonal imbalance, if the birth proceeded with complications, as well as in the following pathologies:
- fetal hypoxia,
- risk of miscarriage,
- ovarian dysfunction,
- early, late preeclampsia,
- disorders of the digestive system
- liver atrophy,
Such births with a complicated course provoke a failure of the reproductive system, so menstruation may begin earlier or later. As a rule, in such cases, women are under the strict supervision of specialists.
When to see a doctor
It is extremely important for mothers not to neglect their health after the birth of the baby, to identify unsuccessful symptoms in a timely manner and to know when the first menstruation comes after birth, what should be the color and duration. The main factors when contacting doctors should be immediate:
- The appearance of abundant regul in the first postpartum days as a sign of endometriosis, hyperplasia.
- Severe bleeding when you have to change the gasket more often than every 2-3 hours.
- The discharge of bloody discharge with an unpleasant odor, pus, sukrovitsy immediately after the release of lohia. This may signal residual effects of the ovum in the uterus.
- The absence or the appearance of scanty discharge after 3 months after the end of the lactation period, provoked by elevated levels of prolactin. Reduction measures are required.
- Lack of regularity of menstrual flow.
The main thing is to identify and eliminate the pathological manifestations at the initial stage. If there are monthly after childbirth with a delay, then the reason for the delay of the regulator after the lactation period may be:
- hormone disruption,
- inflammation of the ovary, fallopian tubes,
The appearance of excessively heavy discharge (and after childbirth including) should be an urgent reason for seeking medical attention.
Normally, when the menstrual cycle is restored in 2-3 months and the first periods should come. Irregularity of the cycle or the appearance of menstruation immediately after childbirth is a deviation from the norm, a sign of hormonal disorders when a detailed examination is required.
Women need to visit doctors if, after 0.5 years in the absence of breastfeeding, there is no regulation, while the pregnancy test is negative. Additionally, there is a headache, low pressure, weakness. This happens with amenorrhea, the extinction of childbearing function in aging women after 40 years. However, in any case, the long absence of critical days after the lactation period is a cause for concern.
Of course, the first time after birth the cycle is restored and may be irregular. But if it comes with a clear delay of 2-3 months, then the reasons are failure of the menstrual cycle, hormonal imbalance. Women are recommended to pass the analysis for prolactin. With its high level in the blood, which does not decrease as the baby stops feeding the breast, prolactinomas may develop as a benign tumor.
The body of the woman is too weak and requires careful attitude. It is important for women to observe personal hygiene after the birth of a child, to use special means - gaskets for lochia discharge. The main thing is to change them in a timely manner every 3-4 hours to avoid the development of bacteriosis.
During the recovery period it is important:
- normalize nutrition
- fill the lack of nutrients, vitamins, trace elements,
- eliminate stress, worries, negative emotions.
Of course, taking care of a baby takes a lot of time and effort, but for the first menstruation after birth to come on time and without any complications, women need to take care of their health, eat right, get enough sleep. Lack of sleep and fatigue can lead to dysfunction of the endocrine system, as a result - the delay of the first menstruation after birth. And another cause may be thyrotoxicosis, diabetes mellitus, chronic pancreatic disease. It is imperative to consult a doctor to avoid serious consequences in the future. The main thing is to detect pathology in time and know when it is necessary to consult with a specialist at an early stage.
Pathology of menstruation after childbirth
Bleeding can also be pathological. At this point, a woman should immediately see a doctor, and not wait until her period is restored.
When to see a doctor:
1. If discharge has suddenly ceased. In this case, you must immediately contact a gynecologist, because it indicates a bend of the uterus or speaks of the accumulation of a lohiometer.
2. If the last couple of months monthly scanty. This means that hormonal disorders occur in a woman’s body.
3. Read carefully on the calendar, if within 6 months you have irregular periods, consult your doctor. Otherwise, you can skip the pathology of the ovaries.
4. Pain in the abdomen, unpleasant odor of discharge and color change, speaks about the infection.
Remember, if you do not go to the doctor in time, there is a risk of complications.
Abortion and menstruation
Many have a question, after an abortion, what is the menstrual cycle?
Everyone understands that abortion is a surgical operation in which vessels are damaged, thereby causing blood loss. After surgery, a wound remains on the uterus. Bleeding lasts until the vessels stop cracking.
Note, some women after an abortion, in general, there is not any discharge.
Doctors have abortions only for women whose gestational age does not exceed 20 weeks.
Important! It is believed that when a woman was curetted out of the uterus, this is the first day of the MC.
What influences recovery after abortion? In the first place - the type of operation (what kind of abortion was), as well as how long it takes. The second factor is the level of professionalism, the medications used and the general condition of the woman.
As practice shows, MCs after any type of abortion are restored within 6 months.
Recommendations for the normalization of the menstrual cycle
In order to avoid disruptions in the body, you must adhere to the recommendations of the doctor.
First: In order to quickly restore the synthesis of the hormone, the woman after childbirth must observe proper nutrition. The diet should include more vegetables, cereals, as well as to the extent possible to carry out light exercise.
It is mandatory after a young mother after birth to include in the diet of dairy products.
1. Cottage cheese.
If the mother does not have enough vitamins, you need to take a multivitamin. But, it is impossible to choose a complex of vitamins on your own, the doctor should do this
Second: in no case can not take contraceptive tableting drugs. Why? The fact is that such drugs can change the hormones, thereby breaking the MC. Therefore, doctors recommend using condoms after childbirth.
Note, if necessary, you can use non-hormonal methods of contraception.
Third: adjust to the schedule of the child. If your baby doesn’t sleep well at night, then young mummies need more rest during the day. Do not hesitate to ask for help from your relatives, because a good physical condition and a properly organized day will help restore the menstrual cycle faster.
Fourth: If a woman has a chronic illness, you should see a doctor. He will be able to choose a safe treatment for you, thereby not harming you and the baby.
Chronic diseases include:
2. Anemia (often occurs after childbirth).
3. Pathology of the thyroid gland.
Can there be complications during the recovery period of the MC? Yes, no one is immune from complications, so a woman needs to be extremely careful. And if problems arise, do not pull, it is best to immediately go to the gynecologist.
- Irregularity A woman needs patience, and you should not be upset if the MC has not recovered within 6 months. Monthly can go a little later, or earlier than the previous term. Do not worry, this is normal. You only need to worry if the MC is not improving within 7-8 months - this is a reason to visit a doctor.
- The amount of discharge. Every young mother should understand that the amount of discharge after childbirth should be in the range of 50-150 ml. How to measure? Of course, you cannot measure yourself. Pads are a good guideline, if you change them every 5-6 hours, this is the norm.
- Postpartum discharge. Do not confuse menstruation with discharge. As a rule, discharge occurs before the onset of the MC. If there are many, go to the doctor. Severe bloody discharge with an unpleasant smell, indicate the presence of endometriosis or endometritis.
- Pain sign. With severe pain, almost every woman takes antispasmodic drugs, and rightly so. But what kind of drug to take after delivery, the doctor must say. After all, severe pain that gives a woman a lot of trouble is called algomenorrhea in medicine. With the wrong choice of treatment, it will not only cause more pain, but will also lead to ischemia.
- No pain Many wonder how, the absence of a painful symptom is a complication. Understand, if after giving birth a woman does not experience any pain in the abdomen - very bad. Since this may mean that the uterus has changed its position, so you need to urgently check with a specialist.
- Ovarian dysfunction. The most common complication. In this case, there is severe bleeding, gestosis appears with edema, blood pressure rises and hormonal changes occur. Все это приводит к задержке восстановления МЦ.
Как вы видите, информации по теме МЦ после родов много. Therefore, if you notice a strange discharge or menstruation for a long time recovering, consult a gynecologist. After all, only the doctor will be able to adjust the treatment for you and give good recommendations for recovery.
Monthly after childbirth: when to wait for the recovery cycle
Not less important question for many women who gave birth, what will be the cycle now. Indeed, the nature of the menstrual cycle after childbirth can significantly change in the direction of improvement, and in the direction of deterioration. Therefore, the first menstruation after childbirth may not be as large in volume, soreness, duration. For example, if before giving birth the uterus with bends gave a rather painful accompaniment to the month, then after delivery, in most cases, it straightens and the pain syndrome goes away. The duration of the cycle also changes - menstrual periods after childbirth often fit into the average indicators of the cycle (25-28 days). It should also be noted that the nature of the recovery of the menstrual cycle after childbirth can be affected by many factors: 1. the course of the period of pregnancy, childbirth and their complications, 2. nature of nutrition and lifestyle, 3. age, 4. the presence of chronic pathologies, 5. emotional comfort. Another important detail that needs to be noted when menstruation begins after childbirth is their regularity. The so-called & commissioning & ovaries occur within a few months, so failures in the first 4-6 cycles should not scare you.At the same time there are a number of signs that indicate that something is interfering with the restoration. These include:
- interruptions in the cycle of menstruation after childbirth, even six months later,
- too meager or too heavy periods, as well as rather long smearing discharge or discharge with an unpleasant odor,
- short (1-2 days) or long periods,
- too painful periods.
In this case, it is necessary to visit your gynecologist, since this may be a sign of not only hormonal disorders, but also diseases of inflammatory or even neoplastic nature.
Menstrual cycle in women
The menstrual cycle is a complex biological process that occurs in the body of a woman of childbearing age. The emergence of the initial menstruation to speak not only about the beginning of puberty, but also about the ongoing changes in all systems in the body for normal conception and gestation.
The girl should have menstruation every month. The duration of the menstrual cycle lasts from about 21 to 35 days. The ideal cycle is considered to be 28 days.
It is necessary to remember the date when the first menstruations began and next month expect them to be the same number, there may be a difference later or earlier in one, two days. If the menstrual cycle passes once a month, without a large separation from the previous date, then such a cycle is regular.
At this phase, the ovaries begin to produce a hormone — estrogen, which has an effect on the inner layer of the uterus, contributing to its swelling, and in the ovaries the process of maturation of the dominant follicle begins, and the remaining follicles undergo regression. A mature and ovulable follicle is called a graaf bubble.
When the process of ovulation occurs, a ripe follicle bursts, while allowing the egg to enter the abdominal cavity. Ready for fertilization, the egg moves through the fallopian tubes into the uterus itself. This action will last about three days. If during this period the egg does not fertilize, then it dies.
Luteal or secretory phase
After the ovulation phase, the luteal phase begins, often referred to as the corpus luteum phase. It lasts about 13-14 days. When a graaff of a bubble ruptures, it accumulates lipids and lutein pigment, making it yellow. Due to the increased levels of estrogen and progesterone, the endometrial glands begin to secrete a secret, as a result of which the inner layer of the uterus is ready for implantation of a fertilized egg. If pregnancy occurs, the corpus luteum will produce progesterone until the placenta is formed, which will take over the production of hormones, and the corpus luteum will undergo regression. In the future, the body will be pregnant hormonal changes that will save the fetus. A pregnant woman comes physiological amenorrhea, that is, there is no menstruation.
Follicular menstrual phase
In the event that fertilization has not taken place, the endometrium is rejected, the reason for this is a decrease in the progesterone produced. This phenomenon contributes to blood discharge, that is, menstruation.
Menstruation is the process of the beginning of the first day, in which women have blood discharge from the genital tract. Typically, the standard menstrual cycle has a duration of from three to seven days, at which time a woman usually loses between 30 and 50 ml per day. blood.
How menstrual function is restored after childbirth
When a baby is born, the process of the work of all organs and endocrine glands returns to the previous state, which was before pregnancy. These changes in the body begin with the birth of a child and last for about 6-8 weeks.
Physiological changes occurring after childbirth:
1. Come back to normal size and function of the genital organs of a woman.
2. Develops the function of the breast, which is ready to feed the child.
3. Changes in the nervous system occur, postpartum depression can develop.
4. Restores work of the cardiovascular system.
To restore menstruation, the proper functioning of the ovaries and uterus is of great importance, therefore the onset of menstruation will depend on how quickly they return to "normal" work.
After childbirth, a rapid contraction of the muscles of the uterus takes place, thereby reducing significantly in size. By the end of the first week, the uterus is reduced by half. Within two weeks after giving birth, the uterus descends about one centimeter every day. After one and a half or two months, it acquires dimensions that were before birth. During lactation, the uterus contracts much faster in size than in its absence. There is also a rapid recovery of the cervix and internal os on the tenth day after birth. The complete closure of the external pharynx ends in three weeks, it becomes slit-like instead of cylindrical.
The rapid recovery of the body in the woman depends on many reasons:
- age of laboring woman
- general health,
- lactation and breastfeeding,
- features of the course of pregnancy and childbirth,
- accompanying illnesses.
Causes of slowing involution (reverse development of the uterus)
1. Weakened body.
2. Women who have given birth many times.
3. The first birth of those over thirty years.
4. Burdened history of childbirth.
5. Failure to follow the correct regimen after delivery.
Changes in the body after childbirth
When the placenta is separated and the afterbirth comes out, the uterine mucosa is a wound surface. The inner surface of the uterus is usually restored after ten days. The mucous layer of the uterus is restored after about 1.5-2 months. And the area of the placental site somewhere in 2 months.
When the inner surface of the uterus heals, characteristic postpartum secretions called lochia are found. During the entire recovery period after natural childbirth, the number and color of lohii change. It all depends on the process of healing and cleaning the inner surface of the uterus.
The first two days of lochia are abundant bleeding with pieces of the inner lining of the uterus. On the third or fourth day, the lochia acquires a characteristic pinkish-yellowish color and resembles a sero-succinic fluid. After the tenth day of birth, the discharge decreases, practically does not have blood admixture, becomes lighter and more liquid. In the third week there is a significant decrease in the number of lochia, bloody impurities are completely absent, the discharge contains mucus from the cervix. Fifth, sixth week - the uterus is completely cleansed, thereby stops the discharge.
During the first week after birth, the amount of discharge reaches approximately 500 to 1,400 grams, while having a characteristic specific smell of rotten leaves.
If the purification and restoration of the uterus slows down, the process is delayed much longer, and the blood in lochia will be present, respectively, also longer. If a clogged internal pharynx has occluded or a uterus bends, there is an accumulation of blood secretions in the uterus, this is called a lohiometer. This process can lead to the development of the inflammatory process due to the adherence of pathogenic microorganisms, therefore, urgently requires treatment. The basis of treatment is the use of drugs that reduce the uterus and washing the uterus with antiseptics.
The ovaries also change significantly in the postpartum period, they restore their hormonal function. After birth, the reverse development of the corpus luteum is completed. The follicles, which contain eggs, begin to mature again, and the normal menstrual cycle is restored.
When the first menstruation comes after delivery
Women in labor who did not have breast milk or who for some reason did not begin to breastfeed the child, meet the first menstruation after 6-8 weeks from giving birth.
In women with active lactation, menstruation does not appear quickly. This process can be delayed for several months or while you feed the baby. In any case, whenever menstrual periods appear in lactating women, one should not panic, they may appear after 6 weeks. This fact is not a pathology, there are no standards and norms here, each woman has a monthly recovery process in her own way. It largely depends on lactation. After childbirth in the body of any mommy, the production of the hormone prolactin occurs, which activates the appearance of breast milk in women and inhibits the production of hormones by the ovaries, thereby disrupting the maturation of the follicle and the onset of ovulation. Thus, there is a delay of menstruation in nursing mothers.
When artificial feeding
If the baby does not receive breast milk, but is fully fed on mixtures, then the woman's menstrual cycle resumes quickly, mostly it happens in the second month after birth.
What is the first menstruation after childbirth
After birth, the first menstrual periods in women have the character of a natural anovulatory cycle. This means that the process of maturation of the follicle in the egg, but ovulation does not occur, that is, the egg does not come out of the ovary. The follicle undergoes a process of reverse development, the mucous membrane of the uterus is rejected, which leads to menstrual bleeding. But over time, the ovulation phase becomes full, and the menstrual cycle becomes regular. Therefore, a woman can become pregnant again in the first few months after giving birth.
The main causes affecting the resumption of the menstrual cycle:
1. Complications in the period of carrying a child.
2. Complications during childbirth.
3. Proper implementation of the sleep rest mode.
4. The presence of chronic diseases.
5. Stress, nervous disorders.
7. The number of births.
What symptoms require a visit to the doctor
After the end of childbirth, any woman has a restructuring of the body in the initial mode of operation, which was before pregnancy. This concerns not only the internal organs, but also the regularity of the menstrual cycle. Basically, the full recovery of menstruation in a woman who has given birth occurs six months from the day of birth. The duration of the menstrual cycle may slightly change after pregnancy. It can increase or decrease in the number of days plus or minus 2-3 days. Let's consider, what should I look for in the postpartum period, and that requires an appeal to a gynecologist.
1. Breastfeeding is stopped, and the menstrual cycle has not resumed within two months.
2. The flow of menstruation is painful, with copious secretions or
quite the opposite - scanty, have a brown color, an unpleasant smell.
3. You should monitor the duration of the incoming menstruation. Normal is considered to be bloody discharge, which lasts for three or five days. If the number of days has decreased and is one, two days - this indicates a violation of the cycle.
5. Too much and prolonged bleeding may indicate the occurrence of pathology, for example, uterine fibroids or endometriosis may occur.
6. Bloody bloody discharge before or after menstruation is longer than usual. This may indicate that there is an inflammatory process in the inner lining of the uterus - endometritis.
7. If the menstrual cycle is painful, the woman can not do from the constant use of painkillers - it speaks of algomenorrhea. But sometimes, the pain that occurs during menstruation, says about the inflammatory process. In any case, a woman should be examined by a doctor.
Causes of painful flow of the menstrual cycle after childbirth
1. Incomplete maturation and formation of the body of a young woman.
2. Inflammation that occurred during and after childbirth.
3. The exacerbation of chronic diseases, which are inflammation of the appendages or the uterus.
In the last two cases, the disease is accompanied by symptoms: pain in the abdomen, copious secretions that have a specific smell and can change color.
Symptoms of premenstrual state after childbirth
- a bad mood, sometimes a manifestation of sentimentality,
- swelling of the breast,
- painful sensations in the area of the mammary gland,
- swelling due to fluid retention in the body,
- manifestation of an allergic reaction,
- pain in all joints,
- sleep disturbance.
The cause of these symptoms is not clear, so there are no specific drugs that can cure it all. But timely consultation of the doctor will help to correct these states.
Violations of the monthly cycle in complicated labor
If the birth proceeded with complications, such as:
- heavy bleeding,
- severe gestosis with edema,
- high blood pressure,
With such symptoms, there may be a disturbance in the ovaries and a problem of the formation of a healthy egg. This is due to violations in the brain, and in particular with dysfunction of the pituitary gland, which leads to hormonal disorders. This is expressed in delayed menstruation, irregular cycle and bleeding.
It is important to know
Prolonged absence of the menstrual cycle may be due to an unplanned pregnancy. This is due to the fact that ovulation begins much earlier than menstruation. Therefore, the absence of menstruation does not guarantee that you can not get pregnant. Talk to your doctor to prescribe you contraceptives that do not affect the hormones and are safe during lactation.
The main thing - do not confuse menstruation with postpartum discharge - lochia, in which there is a cleansing of the uterus immediately after childbirth, are not monthly.
Restoration of menstrual function after cesarean section
In the case when the delivery was performed with a caesarean section, it is advisable to abstain from the next pregnancy for two years, so for such women it is extremely necessary to take birth control pills, before the appearance of the first menstrual cycle.
A cesarean section has no greater effect on the timing of the restoration of menstruation, if there are no complications during the operation and in the postpartum period. The presence of a suture can increase the period of contraction of the uterus, and infections lead to ovarian dysfunction. The restoration of the monthly cycle at caesarean section, as well as during vaginal delivery, is affected by feeding the baby with breast milk.
Also consider the fact that you should refrain from strenuous exercise until the suture heals after cesarean section. This can affect the formation of fistulas and adhesions, which further leads to painful flow of menstruation.
Recommendations for the restoration of monthly
1. It is strictly forbidden to use tampons after childbirth, that is, during the period of uterus cleansing and lochia discharge. It is necessary to use only gaskets with a smooth surface that do not cause irritation.
2. It is necessary to monitor the hygiene of the genital organs, while using preferably baby soap, the use of intimate gels should be abandoned for a while.
3. Within two months after birth, it is not advisable to have sexual contact, especially during caesarean section. Sex must necessarily be with a condom, so as not to get an infection in the uterus.
4. In the presence of chronic diseases such as diabetes mellitus or disorders of the thyroid gland, it is necessary to examine the endocrinologist so that he corrects your treatment. This will help you avoid menstrual irregularities in the postpartum period.
5. Если женщина кормит грудью, то ей следует принимать полный комплекс витаминов с содержанием минералов и микроэлементов. Это необходимо для правильного функционирования яичников и выработки гормонов, от которых зависит безболезненное и правильное протекание менструации. В рацион питания нужно включить молочные продукты, овощи, фрукты, диетическое мясо.
To the questions "When will the first menstruation after childbirth recover?" and "When do menstruations begin after giving birth while breastfeeding?", there is no definite answer. It all depends on the individual characteristics of the woman’s body, so each woman has a different recovery period, but it must be within acceptable limits, for a non-breastfeeding woman, menstruation is restored to 6–8 weeks from childbirth, for a breastfeeding woman with maintenance of the first complementary foods or cessation of breastfeeding. For any changes in menstruation or its prolonged absence, be sure to consult a gynecologist.