The benchmark is considered to be a cycle of 28 days, but the limits of the norm are wider, from 21 to 35 days. In this case, fluctuations in the cycle duration of 1–3 days are allowed. The same applies to menstruation. Normally, it should not be shorter than 3 or longer than 7 days. And what does it mean if the bleeding lasts for more than a week, how to stop the menstruation if they go for a long time?
To do this, you need to understand what caused the long-term bleeding, because nothing happens in the body just like that. Very few women have a clear and regular menstrual cycle, like a clock. Much more often, the duration of a cycle fluctuates - sometimes menstruation starts earlier, sometimes later, it can go for a couple of days longer.
Causes of prolonged menstruation
Among the various factors that affect the duration of bleeding, there are not only diseases or abnormalities, but also something that is not a pathology.
Most often, long periods appear for the following reasons:
- childbirth or abortion,
- hysteroscopy with any therapeutic procedures,
- contraceptive use
- improper installation of the intrauterine device,
- the first few menstrual periods in girls
Why do these conditions affect the duration of bleeding? After childbirth or abortion, the uterus must be cleansed of residual placenta, ichor, mucus. The first menstruation may be longer. The same applies to hysteroscopy with therapeutic procedures.
When hormonal drugs are taken, the hormonal background of a woman changes, and a change in the level of sex hormones affects the entire cycle, respectively, and the duration of menstruation. Therefore, the first bleeding after the start of use OK can be longer, but then come back to normal. If this does not happen, you should consult a gynecologist, since the choice of contraceptives was wrong.
The intrauterine device, installed incorrectly, irritates the walls of the uterus and causes microtraumas. Naturally, during menstruation, the organ contracts more than usual, seeking to be cleansed not only from blood clots, but also from a foreign body. The solution is simple, you need to install the spiral correctly.
If menstruation takes a long time because of heredity, this should not cause concern, provided that there are no pathological changes in the body due to the same heredity.
As for menopause and the onset of menstruation in girls, everything is clear here - in both cases there is a hormonal imbalance, which is quite natural. That is, in girls, in women after 40 years of menstruation may go longer than usual.
Pathological causes of prolonged menses
Among them are both abnormalities in the reproductive system, and diseases of other organs. Among gynecological causes, the most common are:
- fibroids, uterine polyps,
- endometrial hyperplasia,
- polycystic ovaries,
- ovarian dysfunction,
As for other diseases, menstruation can go on for a long time for the following reasons:
- endocrine disorders (diabetes, hypothyroidism, and so on),
- bleeding disorder,
It is clear that in each case, there are other symptoms, which can make the primary diagnosis. Therefore, if in addition to prolonged bleeding, something else bothers you, such as pain, deterioration of health, fever, a sharp increase or decrease in body weight, you need to undergo a comprehensive examination. After all, menstruation, which can last longer than usual, is just one of the symptoms of the disease, and not an independent violation.
Ways to stop monthly
Regardless of the cause of prolonged bleeding, it always negatively affects the health of a woman. Still, it is blood loss and much more than envisioned by nature. It will be more difficult to recover from it if it is repeated from month to month, and such a state lasts at least a year - this is already serious. Therefore, it is worth thinking about how to stop menstruation, which is too long.
Among the most common methods are the most effective hemostatic drugs, oral contraceptives. Do not overlook traditional medicine - medicinal herbs sometimes work better than modern pharmacological agents.
These include "Vikasol", "Tranexam", "Ditionon" and the like.
"Vikasol" is a water-soluble analogue of vitamin K, which takes part in the formation of prothrombin - a protein that increases blood clotting. This is the most affordable drug that has virtually no side effects and contraindications, is available in tablets and in the form of a solution for injection.
"Tranexam" is a drug based on tranexamic acid. This substance has good hemostatic properties. In addition, tranexamic acid has anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic effects, so its use is justified in the case of prolonged menstruation against the background of inflammatory diseases of reproductive organs, as well as after childbirth, abortion or hysteroscopy.
"Ditsinon" - a drug with hemostatic properties, normalizes the permeability of the vascular walls. It is widely used to prevent and stop bleeding of various kinds, including acute.
How can birth control pills normalize menstruation? May, provided that the violations were caused by an imbalance of sex hormones. In this case, the OC can correct the situation, and not due to the suppression of bleeding, but due to the leveling of the hormonal background, if the imbalance arose not due to severe pathologies requiring more serious treatment. A regimen of drugs for each woman will have its own, and, of course, this scheme should be developed by a gynecologist.
Among medicinal herbs, nettle, shepherd's purse, sage, strawberry leaf have the best effect. There are many recipes for medicinal teas, which allow not only to stop the bleeding, but also to reduce inflammation, pain, irritability.
1 tsp Sage brewed with a glass of boiling water and infused for 15 minutes. It is recommended to take the infusion 3-4 times a day, for a quarter cup. Sage helps to normalize the cycle, solves many problems during menopause - due to estrogen-like action. Therefore, it should be used for hormonal imbalance (lack of estrogen).
A tablespoon of nettle grass is poured with a glass of boiled water, boiled for about 5 minutes, then insist half an hour. Take half or half a glass of tea from 3 to 5 times, every day. Nettle has a pronounced hemostatic effect due to the high content of vitamin K.
The recipe is also very simple - pour a teaspoon of herbs with a glass of boiling water, insist for a few minutes. The broth is taken 150 ml per day, starting two or three days before the beginning of the month, and continuing the whole cycle.
The broth is taken during all periods. Brew 1 tablespoon to 1 liter of boiling water - this volume is drunk while menstruating.
Causes of long periods
There are many reasons for prolonged menstruation. The main ones are:
- hormonal imbalance
- tumors in the uterus (fibroids),
- woman's approach to menopausal age,
- pathology of the pelvic organs,
- infections of the genitourinary system
- the presence of an intrauterine device,
- unhealthy lifestyle (lack of physical activity, unhealthy diet, smoking and alcohol).
All of these factors can affect the duration of menstruation.
If prolonged menstruation occurred after childbirth, termination of pregnancy or during menopause, you should immediately seek help from your doctor for antenatal care. Since this phenomenon can be a symptom of serious pathologies.
Ways to stop menstruation
When a woman thinks about how to stop her period, if they go for a long time, then she needs to remember that endometrial tissues that did not come out during this period can be a favorable environment for the development of pathogens. During such an interruption of the natural process, inflammatory processes may begin or other factors dangerous to health may develop.
Stopping long periods can only be medically indicated and not on a regular basis. Since such frequent intervention in natural processes leads to the development of gynecological diseases.
To normalize the cycle, and make menstruation less long, you can use the following methods:
- Acceptance of oral contraceptives prescribed by a doctor.
- Cycle normalization with hormonal contraceptive drugs.
- Active lifestyle and regular exercise.
- Regular sex.
- Reception of special medicines.
- Proper and balanced nutrition. Too strict diets will only aggravate the situation.
- Recipes of traditional medicine.
- Taking Vitamin E, a beneficial effect on the ovaries.
The main thing is not to forget that if menstruation goes on for a long time, the causes of the bleeding and how the doctor sets and stops them determines and only decides. Only he will be able to determine why menstruation has been delayed, and will tell you how to fix this problem.
About the most popular types of reducing long periods should talk in more detail.
Independently choose drugs to reduce menstruation is not recommended. A doctor can prescribe a woman:
- pills that affect blood clotting,
- hormonal drugs.
The risk of taking such funds is the effect on the hormones of a woman or the possible occurrence of thrombosis.
Duphaston, Tranexam or Vikasol (vitamin K) are most often used to stop long periods. The latter drug affects blood clotting, increasing the level of prothrombin. But, unfortunately, it has a positive effect only for a while, Duphaston is safer for a woman’s body, so progesterone is its basis. Tranexam - hemostatic injections and tablets of a new generation.
But none of the listed drugs finally stops long periods. During its reception, a full examination of the woman is conducted, during which the exact causes of the problem are identified.
A drug such as etamzilat stimulates platelet production, and thus contributes to blood clotting. In cases where the monthly go for a very long time, the doctor may prescribe an intramuscular or intravenous injection of this drug.
Non-steroid drugs (Ibuprofen, Analgin) have not only an analgesic effect, they are also able to reduce the intensity of menstruation. Some women report a reduction in the duration of discharge for several days.
For menopause, myoma, endometrial hyperplasia and endometriosis, Mirena is used. This is an intrauterine hormonal system that allows you to reduce menstruation to 3 days.
If a woman regularly takes combined monophasic OK, then she should not stop taking them. If the drugs are three-phase, then you should start taking only tablets of the third phase. But such actions reduce the effectiveness of the contraceptive. Therefore, before making such a decision, it is better to consult with a gynecologist.
If the drugs were prescribed for endometriosis, then their inconsistent use can lead to bleeding in the uterus.
Birth control pills
Taking these pills allows you to stop the menstruation, if they take a long time, and also to harm the health of the woman. The reason lies in the fact that all drugs have their own list of contraindications. Therefore, before taking them, a woman should carefully read this list. It will definitely contain items that mention problems with the liver, diabetes and blood clots.
Folk remedies for prolonged menstruation
The use of traditional medicine recipes is the safest way to stop long periods. But even their use must be agreed with the doctor.
Herbal preparations do not cause allergies, and have a minimum of contraindications. If a woman has long been tormented by questions, why her periods go a long way and how to stop them, you should try the following recipes:
- Chop the usual parsley with boiling water and leave for 3 hours. The medicine must be consumed a week before the onset of menstruation, three times a day, 150 ml on an empty stomach. The main condition for the preparation of this infusion is the freshness of spicy herbs. It should in no case be dried or old.
- 60 grams of nettle pour 250 ml of boiling water and insist half an hour. It is necessary to use a folk remedy three times a day on 100 ml before food. This is the most famous hemostatic decoction.
- For women who do not have problems with the gastrointestinal tract, a popular recipe is suitable, involving the use of lemon a few days before menstruation. This fruit will delay the arrival of menstruation, but the amount of its use should also be monitored so as not to harm the digestive system.
- The most effective folk method doctors consider tincture of water pepper. To prepare it, you need to pour 75 grams of product with 500 ml of boiling water. The mixture is simmered for 5 minutes, cool a little and put in a cool place for 3 hours. The strained means to drink 100 ml three times a day.
- 10 grams of sage pour 150 ml boiling water and let it brew for 20 minutes. Divide the medicine into 4 parts and take it throughout the day.
- Pour 1 teaspoon of shepherd's grass bag into a glass of boiling water, let stand for a few minutes. It is necessary to use infusion on 150 ml in 3 days prior to the beginning of periods and during all cycle.
Prevention of prolonged menstruation
Doctors do not always manage to determine why menstruation takes a long time. In such cases, they advise women to change their lifestyle:
- lose weight,
- take vitamins
- give up alcoholic beverages, drugs and smoking,
- change the atmosphere and, if possible, the climate,
- try not to give in to stress and experiences.
By eliminating all these causes of pathology, the patient can count on a quick improvement in the situation.
Long menstruation is a symptom of many disorders in the work of the female body. Therefore, to ignore this phenomenon or do not self-medicate. It is better to seek help from specialists.
Monthly go for a long time: when it is normal
If menstruation is delayed for 10 - 15 days, which was not the case before, women usually become alert and think about the disease. However, there are factors that have nothing to do with pathologies. Consider them in detail:
- Age. During the first 2 years after the menarche, girls may have long periods of time, beginning and ending with dark smears. The organism undergoes hormonal restructuring even at the age of 40, when the premenopause period begins. An increase in critical days at a young age and after 40 is considered a natural occurrence.
- Heredity. If relatives under the age of 40 have monthly periods of more than 7 days, then this family has a natural predisposition for long-term bleeding. For women after 45 years of age, menstruation goes on for a long time for another reason - this is the approaching menopause. Therefore, it is not worthwhile to take into account the peculiarities of menstruation of mature relatives to a girl or young woman.
- Childbirth and abortion. After these events, the reproductive system is rebuilt, and the uterus is intensively cleaned.
- Contraceptive use. Hormonal contraceptives make menstruation long or too short.
- The use of intrauterine device. The uterus perceives the IUD as a foreign body and responds to its presence by prolonged heavy bleeding.
- Stress, hypothermia or overheating of the body. Experiences and changes in climatic conditions affect the nature of menstruation.
If the monthly always go for a long time and do not affect the well-being of the woman, do not worry. If critical days come chaotically with prolonged heavy bleeding and cause severe pain in the lower abdomen, blanching and fainting, it is urgent to consult a doctor.
The group of hemostatic agents - hemostatic drugs, includes the medicines Vikasol, Ditsinon, Tranexam, etc. Vikasol helps the body to synthesize a protein responsible for the quality of blood clotting. It is a water-soluble analogue of vitamin K. The drug has the form of tablets and injections.
He has no contraindications and side effects.
Dicine increases the permeability of the vascular walls. If your period is long and you don’t know what to drink, Ditsinon will be an ideal option. The drug stops bleeding of a different nature (even acute) and prevents their recurrence.
Tranexam - a remedy with tranexamic acid, has hemostatic, anti-inflammatory and antihistamine properties.
The drug is effective for long periods, the causes of which are abortions, childbirth, inflammatory diseases of the reproductive system and hysteroscopy.
At the discretion of the physician, the patient may be prescribed vitamins, means to reduce the uterus, hormones and strengthening medicines for blood vessels.Scraping during prolonged menstruation women do in 50 years during menopause - the procedure prevents the development of cancer. After scraping, the patient is prescribed hormones.
Girls and women of middle age are prescribed hormonal drugs first. If they do not help, the patient is sent for scraping.
If the abnormality is caused by poor blood clotting, the menstrual cycle is adjusted with coagulants (aminocaproic acid). With anemia, iron supplements can help.
Prevention of long periods
The presence of long periods is not always associated with the disease. If, after careful examination, the cause of the deviation was not found and the woman was recognized as healthy, she is given advice on lifestyle changes.
Prolonged menstruation may be associated with factors such as:
- Vitamin deficiency.
- Abuse of alcoholic beverages.
- Taking narcotic substances.
- The impact of climatic conditions.
- Low stress tolerance.
Remember that prolonged periods, which are not amenable to correction at home, require immediate medical attention. Timely consultation with a specialist will help avoid serious problems in the gynecological field.
Why should not pause monthly
Menstruation is a cycle of hormonal changes occurring in the female body. Any intervention in this process is unsafe. If at some stage it is interrupted by suspending monthly, it may affect the work of the whole organism.
In some cases this can lead to infertility. Also, hormonal disruptions provoke the development of diseases of the mammary glands.
When the stop is valid
The question of the admissibility of stopping the menstrual cycle is most often asked by those who have had to face:
- with abundant monthly periods that last from 8 days or more,
- with very heavy secretions (if the total volume of the discharge is about 150 ml of blood),
- with bleeding, leading to weakness and anemia, adversely affecting overall health.
It should be noted that long periods do not always indicate any diseases or pathologies. However, you should not suspend this process yourself in such cases:
- in the absence of symptoms of diseases of the reproductive organs,
- in the absence of abdominal injuries,
- if prolonged periods are regular,
- no signs of severe anemia.
But even in the absence of such symptoms, it is necessary to regularly check the level of hemoglobin in the blood, take drugs, which include iron, do not forget about vitamin complexes.
It happens that the cause of too long or heavy periods are too strict diets, “hobby” medications. In this case, you need to adjust the food, make walking, play sports.
However, in the event of "breakthrough" bleeding or with a constantly irregular cycle, if signs of anemia are found, you should immediately consult a doctor, since all of the above may indicate the presence of such diseases and pathologies as uterine myoma or endometriosis.
Only a doctor can tell you how to stop your period as safely as possible.
Using combined oral contraceptives, you can reduce the duration of menstruation or stop them for a short time. Most often they are prescribed in such cases as:
In this case, if they are prescribed, the therapeutic goal is pursued directly, for example, in case of gynecological diseases - in this case, hormonal background can be adjusted, pathological processes can be stopped, PMS symptoms can be alleviated.
If you decide to delay the monthly with their help, then you need to start taking 3-4 days before the cycle. Among the most benign are such means as Jeanine or Triquilar.
After hormonal drugs
Remember that if you decide to stop menstruation in this way, then it can be done only once, otherwise a persistent menstrual disorder is possible, because it often causes inflammation in the uterus and even the appearance of tumors.
Such drugs should not drink in diseases of the heart, kidneys, in violation of blood clotting.
After hemostatic means
The action of such drugs is aimed at thickening the blood, they increase clotting, improve the condition of the walls of blood vessels. However, the uncontrolled intake of such drugs is high the likelihood of blood clots.
In addition, the work of the vegetative system can be disrupted, which will manifest as dizziness, a decrease in pressure. Side effects include gastrointestinal disorders.
It is better to take such medicines after consulting a doctor in order to avoid serious consequences for your health. To delay the monthly for a couple of days, you need to drink a pill according to the instructions for 4 days before they occur, if you drink for 3-4 days of the cycle, you can reduce the intensity of bleeding.
In our article you will learn how to reduce unbearable pain during menstruation.
In this article we will describe in detail how to correctly calculate the cycle.
Many are concerned about the question whether it is possible to get pregnant during menstruation? More details we will tell here.
Read more about suitable products.
Consider the most well-known drugs that will help stop this process.
- Duphaston. Its active substance does not affect ovulation, it is not a contraceptive. When you receive stops the growth of the mucous membrane, which prevents its rejection, and hence the period will begin later.
- Narkolut, which can delay menstruation for a period of 5 to 7 days. Reception should begin at least a week before the expected date. Reception duration is about 10 days. The substance contained in the tablets leads to inhibition of the follicles, which will prevent the process of ovulation.
- Ditsinon, which is a hemostatic drug that allows you to quickly stop the discharge. That it is advised if you need to urgently slow down the menstrual cycle. It is also recommended if there is too much bleeding.
- Vikasol - a tool that will reduce the intensity of bleeding. In the presence of a tendency to the appearance of blood clots, it is contraindicated. The main advantage of the drug is that it allows almost 100% stop the bleeding. Also sold as oral solution.
What popular ways to help
If you do not want to use drugs, you can try to use the methods of traditional medicine, because they are more benign and simple. It is necessary to eat more foods with vitamin C content - it strengthens the blood vessels, helps to increase blood clotting.
The most famous folk remedies:
- Lemons In the absence of stomach diseases, it is recommended to eat 2 fruits each day or at least drink 1 liter of tea with the addition of this fruit. Such therapy should begin at least three days before the start of menstruation.
- Parsley, from which you need to make an infusion. For its preparation, we take about 40 g of fresh grass, pour 250 ml of boiling water, leave to infuse for three hours. It is necessary to take 100 ml of infusion before meals. Begin prevention also at least three days before the start of the cycle.
- Broth shepherd's bags and nettles. Take 2 tbsp. each herb, brew in 500 ml of boiling water. Take 40 ml of the drug twice a day, and you need to start about two days before menstruation.
Such funds are considered the safest, but it should be borne in mind that many may be allergic to these plants.
It should immediately be said that there are no ways to simply stop the menstruation, especially in the process - you can either just hold them back or reduce the intensity. But always remember that such "games" with their health can lead to serious consequences.