Cervical erosion is a disease with non-specific symptoms that can be confused with other diseases. For one reason or another, various symptoms may develop. Sometimes there is even a delay in menstruation with cervical erosion. Why this happens and how the phenomena are interrelated is described in the article below.
Could there be a delay?
Could there be a menstruation delay due to erosion? Actually because of this pathology - no. But it can indirectly affect the menstrual cycle. If the disease is developed actively, then not only the epithelium of the cervix, but also the uterine cavity is involved in the process. It changes, exfoliates irregularly. As a result, failures in the cycle occur. Attaching various infections can also cause a delay.
It is worth remembering that erosion often has hormonal causes. An imbalance of hormones can cause disruptions in the menstrual cycle.
How does it come about?
Can there be a delay in menstruation during erosion with this diagnosis? It develops only in the later stages. In this case, the lesion affects the neck and the entire cervical canal. Develops a strong defeat of the epithelium, including in the uterus. This leads to the fact that it ceases to be updated regularly. Accordingly, the regularity of the menstrual cycle is disturbed.
At an earlier stage, erosion can join infection. It can also cause inflammation of the mucous membranes and a violation of its renewal. As a result, a delay occurs.
How to recognize the cause?
If the monthly during erosion of the cervix are absent or occur with a delay, then you need to accurately determine the cause. With erosive lesions of the cervix, other signs will be present:
- Spotting 2-3 days before menstruation,
- Spotting during and some time after intercourse,
- Change in normal vaginal discharge,
- Pain or discomfort during intercourse.
These symptoms of erosive damage occur in its advanced stages.
What can be confused?
It is important to remember that be that as it may, the delay in menstruation during erosion of the cervix is extremely rare. Most often, this phenomenon has other reasons. And before suspecting erosion, it is necessary to exclude them:
- Pregnancy is characterized by a long delay. If in the recent past there were unprotected sex, it is better to do a test,
- Stress causes hormonal disruptions. Especially if it is chronic or very strong. Such failures, in turn, can lead to a delay,
- A large number of significant physical exertion can also lead to hormonal failure. It can cause menstruation delay,
- Acclimatization is another common cause. In this case, the state develops when the seasons change and a large number of time zones,
- Climax is typical for women over 50 years, but may occur at a younger age. It is characterized by a gradual decrease in the amount of discharge and lengthening the cycle,
- Diet also often provokes the stopping of menstruation. But we are talking only about very serious limitations.
These causes cause the condition more often than erosion. Therefore, first eliminate these risk factors.
With this approach, several groups of drugs are prescribed. They must be taken in a complex and strictly according to the scheme.
- Antibiotics, anti-inflammatory and antiseptics are used because with the erosion of a high likelihood of an inflammatory process (see Tablets of cervical erosion and Candles with erosion),
- Immunostimulating drugs are used to increase the body's strength to combat pathology,
- Local preparations (usually cream), stimulating the detachment of the affected epithelium,
- Local preparations (ointments, creams) to stimulate the active growth of healthy epithelium.
The method is quite controversial. It helps only at the earliest stages, and this treatment is very protracted. In addition, the risk of recurrence is much higher (than with surgery).
This type is most preferred. It is carried out in different ways. But the most popular and less traumatic are currently the following:
- Cryodestruction Cauterization or, more precisely, freezing of the erosion zone using liquid nitrogen. Inexpensive and effective method
- Laser marking - aiming impact on the affected area with a laser. When this occurs, the "sealing" of the affected tissues and stimulated their renewal,
- Diathermocoagulation - also cauterization, but under the influence of extremely high temperatures. The principle of operation is the same as in cryodestruction,
- Chemical coagulation - cauterization with chemical compounds, rarely used,
- Radio wave treatment - exposure to the affected area by a beam of targeted radio waves. As a result, active healing of the affected area is stimulated.
The methods are effective and are shown at all stages and types of erosion. The probability of recurrence is low (if the intervention is performed qualitatively).
Types of disease
Erosion is a generic term that combines ulcers of the cervix. There are three types of the disease. They differ in symptoms and the degree of impact on the female reproductive system. Erosion happens:
The first type of disease is formed as a result of the displacement of the cylindrical epithelium outside the cervical canal. Pathology is formed at the stage of intrauterine development. Visual inspection of the cervix shows no signs of inflammation. Erosion affects a small area of the external os. It has a smooth surface and a bright red color. In the pubertal period, erosion can inflame, which provokes its structural changes.
The true form of the disease develops when the surface of the squamous epithelium of the vaginal part of the cervix is damaged. Most often, it flows together with endocervicitis. The characteristic signs of true erosion include bleeding during direct contact. During colposcopy, dilated vessels, purulent discharges and puffiness can be detected on the surface of the cervix. Usually in two weeks the true form turns into pseudo-erosion.
In this type of disease, the flat epithelium of the cervix is replaced by a cylindrical one. Cell proliferation is noted not only on the surface, but also in the depth of the tissues. Erosive formations tend to secrete a special secret, the accumulation of which leads to the development of cysts. Outwardly, they are often confused with polyps. When forming multiple tumors, cervical thickening is noted. The following types of pseudo-erosion are distinguished:
The formation of cysts on the background of this disease tend to women aged over 25 years. At first, the neoplasms do not cause discomfort, but over time they begin to bleed and provoke pain. Cystic tumors are characterized by mucous secretions throughout the entire menstrual cycle. Treatment is carried out only if the pathological growths interfere with the woman, increasing in size.
Causes of cervical erosion
Structural changes of the body often develop on the background of gynecological ailments. Congenital form of pathology can be detected only after the onset of sexual activity. Most clearly erosion manifests itself in the postpartum period. In some cases, it provokes a decrease in immune protection. The main reasons for the appearance of the disease include the following:
- sexually transmitted infections,
- surgery (abortion, surgery and diagnostic procedures),
- hormonal disorders,
- injury to the inside of the vagina,
- neglect of the rules of hygiene,
- reduced immunity
- early onset of sexual activity.
Symptoms of cervical erosion
In most cases, the disease is not accompanied by specific signs. In the absence of an inflammatory process, the woman’s well-being does not change. If infections join the pathology, the symptoms will be more pronounced. The characteristic signs of erosion include:
- thick white discharge
- bleeding, aggravated after sexual intercourse,
- discomfort in the abdomen,
- pain during intimacy.
If erosion occurs in conjunction with colpitis or cervicitis, purulent discharge with a specific odor occurs. In addition, there may be discomfort in the lower back and a burning sensation during urination. With an extensive inflammatory process, the pain is acute. Radically changing the well-being of women.
About the presence of erosion, the patient finds out after examination in a gynecological chair. The most accurate information about the state of the cervix gives colposcopy. It allows you to consider the ulcer with a multiple increase. In case of suspected cancer, the neck is treated with 5% iodine solution. Atypical cells in this case change their color. Histological examination helps to determine the origin of erosion. Additional methods of identifying the disease include:
- PCR diagnostics,
- a smear on the purity of the flora,
- cytological analysis
- research for HIV, hepatitis and syphilis.
How to treat cervical erosion
For this purpose, cryodestruction, radio wave treatment and cauterization with alternating current are carried out. In the presence of infection, anti-inflammatory drugs are prescribed. Therapy involves the following principles:
- Congenital erosion is regularly monitored.
- If the pathology is caused by infectious diseases, drugs are used to eliminate the pathogen.
- Conservative therapy exposed background ills. For these purposes, immunomodulators and hormonal drugs are prescribed.
- At the acute stage of the disease, topical agents are used: gynecological tampons, vaginal emulsions and suppositories.
At an early stage of development, erosion can be managed with the help of medicinal solutions intended for local processing. The mechanism of their action is based on the burning ability of the active components. The composition of these drugs include organic acids. The disadvantages of this treatment include a high risk of injury. Doctors recommend to resort to the help of proven surgical techniques.
By this method of treatment implies the process of destruction of pathological cells with the help of cold. Liquid nitrogen is supplied with a special tool, which is called a cryoprobe. The substance is sent directly to the abnormal cells, not capturing a healthy area.
The procedure is painless and there is no bleeding. Its duration is a few minutes. During this time, the woman does not have time to feel anything. The positive features of the procedure include a low probability of scar development in the cervical canal. In the first 24 hours after it is observed, edema is observed, accompanied by abundant light discharge.
If the impact was not deep enough, it may be necessary to repeat the cryodestruction, but this is extremely rare. Before treatment with liquid nitrogen should be familiar with contraindications. These include:
- third degree of dysplasia,
- the presence of tumors in the uterus or ovaries,
- scars on the neck of the body
Radio wave treatment
Removal of erosion by radio waves is carried out using the Surgitron apparatus. The mechanism of action is based on the features of high frequency electromagnetic oscillations. Abnormal cells evaporate as a result of the influence of thermal energy in the absence of contact with the apparatus. Anesthesia for radio wave therapy is not required, because the procedure is absolutely painless. Most often it is carried out for the treatment of nonpartum women.
The disadvantages of this method include the inability to carry out in any medical institution and the high cost of the procedure. The advantages of this treatment are much greater than the disadvantages. Among the positive aspects of the following:
- no effect on healthy tissue
- low probability of unpleasant feelings
- a scar does not form at the site of remote erosion,
- the operation lasts no more than 20 minutes
- the absence of bleeding due to the fact that the radiohead does not damage the blood vessels.
The process of cauterization erosion current is called diathermocoagulation. This method is considered relatively obsolete, but it continues to be used due to its high efficiency. Cauterization is performed in the second half of the menstrual cycle. Heating tissues leads to necrosis of altered cells and their rejection. Diathermocoagulation done only if the woman gave birth. This is due to the high risk of scarring that prevents the opening of the cervix during labor.
Erosion after cauterization
At the end of the procedure, spotting appears. They can be the result of cervical damage or early menstrual periods provoked by surgery. A protective film is formed on the surface of the epithelium to prevent the infection from entering the wound.
The first two months after the procedure is not recommended to have sex and lift weights. It is forbidden to take a hot bath and carry out syringing of the reproductive organs. This may result in damage to the scab formed in the cautery area. The wound heals completely about 6-8 weeks after the procedure. If a woman has severe bleeding, prescribe antihemorrhagic drugs.
Treatment without cauterization
Vaginal suppositories and medicinal solutions are used to prevent and accelerate recovery after surgery. They help eliminate inflammation and prevent the proliferation of abnormal cells. The duration of treatment therapy, the doctor determines on an individual basis. The most effective include the following drugs:
- Suporonin the form of vaginal candles improves microcirculation in the pelvis, supports local immunity and has anti-inflammatory effect. The action of the drug is based on the content of Tambukan mud and propolis.
- Suppositories Depantenol used to activate regenerative processes. Being absorbed into the mucous surface, the main substance of the drug turns into pantothenic acid.
- Sea-buckthorn candles - A safe and effective way to accelerate cervical healing. The advantages include the natural origin of the drug.
- Candles Hexicon have an antiseptic effect due to the content of chlorhexidine. The drug is used to eliminate the inflammatory process.
In the mild form of the disease, some women use medicinal herbs. Before using them it is recommended to consult with your doctor. This will avoid the occurrence of allergic reactions and aggravation of pathology. The most popular folk remedies include the following:
- Douching with the use of decoction of Hypericum or calendula help with congenital form of the disease and mechanical damage. Infusion is prepared at the rate of 2 tbsp. l mix on 1 l of water.
- Swabs with ointment Levomekol eliminate inflammation and promote tissue regeneration. Hygienic tool is impregnated with medicine and injected into the vagina before bedtime. In the morning it is necessary to remove and douching chamomile infusion. The treatment is carried out for two weeks.
- Antibacterial effects have sea buckthorn and moomin swabse. A few drops of liquid are added to one tablet of the substance, previously dissolved in a teaspoon of warm water. The tampon must be soaked with the mixture and introduced before bedtime.
- Using a sterile syringe injected into the vagina aloe juice then you need to take a horizontal position. After 20 minutes, a woman can do the usual things. It is advisable to use daily pads during treatment.
Impact on pregnancy
By itself, erosion is not able to have an impact on the reproductive system. The exceptions are cases of its joint occurrence with other gynecological diseases. In advanced situations there are difficulties with the implantation of the embryo. If the pregnancy took place, then due to structural changes in the cervix, it will be more difficult for a woman to bear the child. Another reason for the inability to become pregnant during erosion is the clogging of the cervical canal with epithelial cells. They prevent the passage of sperm, which makes conception impossible.
If a woman did not give birth, most often the pathology is simply observed. When erosion is detected during pregnancy, medical therapy is postponed for a postpartum period. After childbirth, the procedure for the removal of ulceration is carried out upon completion of the recovery of the menstrual cycle. In this case, the method of diathermocoagulation is most often used.
Monthly after pathology
In the presence of erosion in women changes the nature of menstruation. Могут присутствовать мажущие выделения за несколько дней до месячных и по их завершении.Sometimes they appear in the middle of the cycle, the duration of which may increase.
Significant impact on the nature of menstruation have associated diseases. When hormonal disorders develop amenorrhea - the absence of critical days. Inflammatory processes are accompanied by prolonged and abundant periods. In infectious diseases, menstruation is of an irregular nature.
After taking measures to remove erosion, the menstruation comes earlier than usual. The spotting periodically appears within two months after the completion of the surgery. After healing of erosive formation, the menstrual cycle becomes regular. The reappearance of non-menstrual bleeding indicates the need for medical attention.
Compliance with preventive measures will reduce the risk of neoplasm in the vagina. Bleeding and pain can affect the quality of sex life. It is much easier to prevent pathological processes than to eliminate their negative manifestations. Doctors recommend adhering to the following rules:
- Having a permanent sexual partner will reduce the likelihood of developing infectious diseases.
- It is important to avoid hypothermia. It becomes the cause of the inflammatory process, which leads to the formation of erosion.
- A gynecologist is recommended to visit at least twice a year.
- If a woman is not planning a pregnancy, then she should use contraceptives. Abortions are often provoking factors for the development of gynecological diseases.
- In the presence of hormonal disorders, it is necessary to take medication prescribed by a doctor.
- Clean the genitals to avoid the development of pathological processes in the pelvic area. Shower should be taken at least twice a day. During menstruation, the number of procedures increases.
In most cases, cervical erosion is successful treatment. The risk of relapse with timely access to a gynecologist is reduced to a minimum. According to statistics, the neoplasm is eliminated after the age of 25 years. The removal procedure is not accompanied by pain and does not take much time.
It is recommended to limit physical activity and take prescribed drugs.
How diseases manifest, their signs
Congenital ectopia is considered the most harmless.. No symptoms will tell about her presence. This form is detected only at the first reception at the gynecologist. However, its diagnosis is difficult for the hymen.
Ectopia is characterized by a shift in the gap between the cylindrical and flat epithelium. It is also called pseudo-form.
When viewed in this case the cervix has a red "ring". It clearly stands out from the rest of the pink epithelium.
This form is caused by hormonal changes. This type of treatment does not need much treatment, but it requires a routine examination by a female doctor 2 times a year. This is necessary to track the flow of this process.
Acquired form arises due to the following factors:
- early and promiscuous sex
- mechanical damage, including the effects of abortion,
- hormonal disorders,
- effects of endocrine and immunological changes
- inflammatory processes and infectious diseases.
Depending on the nature of the disease, various symptoms occur. Thanks to the last woman and thinks about the changes in the work of her body.
On examination, the gynecologist determines true erosion by characteristic manifestations. - ulcers on the surface of the cervix.
Color will not be uniform red, but interspersed. The affected area has an irregular shape.
What does erosion of the cervix look like during a chemical examination (for example, colposcopy): the affected areas will be clearly visible due to discoloration.
Gynecologist D. Lubnin on erosion and ectopia of the cervix uteri:
Discharges and pain as companions of pathology
Small whites are normal. in the work of the female genital system. Often they do not bring any discomfort.
But this happens exactly up to the moment when they do not change in appearance or begin to be accompanied by a slight smell.
Depending on the color, the following varieties are distinguished:
- brown or blood-streaked,
- green mixed with pus.
Brown or blood discharge signal lesion of the mucous. They may indicate a transition from innate erosion to true.
Often, such phenomena occur due to damage to the epithelium due to rough sexual intercourse or careless douching.
In addition, the presence of blood may indicate a beginning inflammation of the endometrium. Brown secretions are also dangerous because they can be the first signal of a human papillomavirus infection.
Erosion is most often accompanied by the addition of other diseases. A frequent companion is thrush. Its occurrence will be notified white curvaceous discharge. Often they are accompanied by a characteristic sour smell.
Yellow discharge indicate the addition of infection. This may be staphylococcal pathology or progressive ureaplasmosis.
Green highlights - a consequence of the inflammatory process. Thick discharge occurs when you start purulent inflammation. They may appear due to colpitis - trichomonas or gonorrhea.
What other symptoms are observed during cervical erosion, how does the disease manifest? In addition to secretions pains can be harbingers of cervical erosion.
Often they are not sharp. This may be a pulling pain in the lower abdomen. They can accompany bloody secretions or dispense with them.
Pain is usually non-durable. They arise inundated and often do not cause severe discomfort.
However, in any case, it is an alarm bell that you need to immediately contact a specialist.
Pain can also occur during intercourse. It may be just discomfort or, on the contrary, a sharp flash, which lasts about 30 seconds.
The pulling sensations can disturb and after proximity. Often they are accompanied by smearing brown discharge or small blotches of blood in the total mass.
- how to diagnose pathology,
- What is the clinical picture of the disease, is it dangerous and can it develop into oncology,
- what is possible and what is impossible in the presence of a disease,
- can it go by itself and is it necessary to treat
- What to do if bleeding occurs or inflammation begins.
Monthly changes - another danger or rate
This disease is characteristic of women of reproductive age. Later there is a natural replacement of one epithelium by another.
Erosion during pregnancy often occurs due to changes in hormonal levels. However, at this stage, due to the nature of the development, it practically does not need treatment, but only in observation.
Often after birth she disappears, unless there are factors for its transformation into a complicated form.
With this disorder, shortly before the onset of menstruation, bloody or brown daub can disturb. It is small in size and does not cause great inconvenience.
However, these factors can lead to an increase in pain during menstruation. May increase the duration of the latter, or the volume and nature of menstruation.
With cervical erosion, the monthly cycle may be lost. The gap between the arrival of the day "X" increases or, conversely, decreases.
Such changes may not be caused by ectopia per se, but by concomitant diseases — infectious, fungal, or viral.
Cervical ectopia is not a sentence. In congenital form, constant preventive measures are needed to help contain the pathological changes in the female reproductive system.
Only a competent specialist will be able to see the changes in time. The latter may entail degeneration of congenital erosion into acquiredand the stable course of the disease may be replaced by a complicated form.