Menstruation - Strong enough stress for the female body, during which there are strong hormonal changes.
All this is accompanied by unpleasant symptoms that can cause nausea and dizziness, mood swings. For what reasons does nausea develop during menstruation, what should be done and how to help yourself?
What is menstruation?
Under the direct influence of hormones, an egg cell matures in one of the female ovaries with an interval from 21 to 35 days.
After that, it leaves the ovaries, respectively, we are talking about the onset of ovulation, when the egg through the fallopian tubes is sent into the uterine cavity.
The uterine cavity itself is ready to accept the egg cell - its inner layer, the endometrium is thickened and thickened, strengthened by a network of vessels and nutrients.
If the egg is not fertilized - the uppermost layer of the endometrium is rejected and leaves the body after 2 weeks after the release of the egg, ovulation.
The process itself is accompanied by the loss of not only tissues, but also blood - this is menstruation.
Premenstrual syndrome or abbreviated PMS - complex in its somatic and mental disorders process, manifested in women for 2-14 days before the onset of menstruation, disappearing after it occurred.
PMS gynecologists themselves diagnose 3-4 out of 100 women of reproductive age, and its symptoms can be conditionally divided into the following groups:
- Emotional behavioral. They fail in excessive tension and unreasonable anxiety, differences in mood and change in taste preferences, appetite, insomnia.
- Somatic symptoms - These are headaches and pressure on the eyes, weight gain and general weakness in a woman, swelling of the peritoneum and engorgement of the chest, muscle pain and diarrhea.
Such a division is rather arbitrary, however, it gives a complete picture of the symptoms that bother a woman during the PMS period.
Nausea during menstruation
Often, on the threshold of menstruation or during menstrual flow, a woman is worried about nausea - the root causes of the appearance of this negative symptom are directly determined and depend on the provoking factor.
In this regard, it is important not to practice self-diagnosis and treatment, but to consult a doctor, undergo an examination and, if necessary, a course of treatment.
Attacks of nausea in the period of menstrual flow can be very different and among the most common doctors distinguish the following:
Hormone production in the body- prostaglandins, a very volatile compound that will directly act on the muscular and circulatory systems. In this period of time, the vessels dilate, the blood coagulates poorly, a spasm shows itself and, as a result, copious and painful periods.
- Seratonin production - It is this hormone that also provokes nausea during the period of PMS and menstruation. This hormone is produced directly in the cerebrospinal fluid and in small quantities, but it has a negative effect on the removal of excess fluid from the body. As a result - brain swelling and bouts of nausea and dizziness.
- Offset in the cavity of the pelvic organs of the uterus - when it is displaced, even slightly backward, the nerve roots and endings are squeezed. This provokes pain syndrome - such a phenomenon is most often observed after childbirth or physical exertion, other pathologies.
- Intoxication. Poisoning with low-quality products and medicines, heavy metals and other compounds. In any case, regardless of the source of intoxication and poisoning - it provokes attacks of nausea and vomiting, dizziness and other negative symptoms.
- Nausea attacks may indicate pregnancy - in this case, the monthly can go, but go so-called "false" menstrual flow. In the first months of pregnancy, a woman may have discharge resembling menstrual flow, accompanied by nausea and bouts of pain in the lower abdomen. Because it is important to make a pregnancy test if you suspect this fact.
- Hormonal contraceptive use can also trigger nausea. If the contraceptive drugs are chosen incorrectly - this can cause not only hormonal imbalance and nausea, but also unplanned pregnancy. Although as noted by the doctors themselves and manufacturers OK - such a phenomenon as nausea can be a side effect of taking these formulations. But if after 2-3 months this negative factor does not disappear - it is worth picking up other OK.
The list of causes provoking nausea during menstruation is not exhaustive, but they are primarily taken into account.
Why are there pains during menstruation?
Attacks of pain in the lower part of the period of menstrual flow gynecologists diagnose 3-5 patients out of 10, and only a small part of it provokes such strong attacks that you have to take potent drugs.
According to doctors, severe bouts of pain during menstrual flow may be due to:
Low endogenous opiatesand insufficient in its duration during the luteal phase.
- Failure in the functionality of tissue enzymes of the endometrial layer and disturbance in the process of fragmentation of the rejected mucous membrane lining the uterine cavity.
- Elevated prostaglandins and excessive pain sensitivity in a woman.
It is worth noting the moment that painful menstruation or according to scientific - algomenorrhea by doctors conditionally divided into primary and secondary:
- In primary form algomenorrhea, a high level of pain syndrome is due to the individual characteristics of the structure of the female body or the wrong position in the uterus. Most often manifested in adolescence, after the onset of the first menarche.
- Secondary form algomenorrhea - most often pain syndrome in this case is caused by the course of gynecological disease, congenital or acquired pathology, malfunction of the pelvic organs, the installation of the intrauterine device and pregnancy.
What symptoms should consult a doctor?
When nausea and vomiting during the period of menstrual flow in a woman are observed for the first time, in the absence of health problems, this may indicate a pregnancy.
Nevertheless, if a woman is protected, then such grounds can be cause for concern:
Prolonged time and having an increasing nature of pain, localized in the lower abdomen, accompanied by an increase in the volume of menstrual flow.If the need to change the gasket occurs every 3 hours - this indicates abnormal uterine bleeding, which serves as a reason to immediately consult a doctor.
- Black menstrual flow, interspersed with blood clots - This indicates the course of the inflammatory process in the body. The sooner the examination and treatment is carried out, the lower the risk of complications.
- Increased body temperature and feeling a fit of fever, chills and sweating - this indicates the course in the body of the inflammatory process.
- Discharges are unpleasant putrid or a pronounced sour smell, urination is painful, itching of the external genital organs show themselves. All this indicates the course of the infectious nature of the disease affecting the reproductive system.
In addition, daub brown on linen after menstruation or throughout the whole cycle also does not promise anything good. In any case, in case of any suspicion of pathology, it is worth visiting a doctor and undergoing an examination.
How to cope with nausea during menstruation?
The question of how to overcome nausea during menstruation depends on the severity of negative symptoms. First of all, it is necessary to exclude food poisoning and pregnancy, other root causes.
- Normalize the mode of work and rest.
- Eat right - more vegetables and fruits, less harmful foods.
- Minimize stressful situations and make sure you are not pregnant.
- Minimize exercise.
Through symptomatic treatment, doctors often prescribe precisely sedative compositions - they help calm the central nervous system and normalize the emotional and psychological background of the woman, and reduce the level of excessive anxiety.
The downside of most drugs are side effects. Often drugs cause severe intoxication, subsequently causing complications of the kidneys and liver. To prevent the side effects of such drugs, we want to pay attention to special phytoampons. Read more here.
Most often, doctors prescribe in this case, such drugs as:
- Novo Passit,
- tincture of motherwort and hops, valerian or passionflower.
In addition, you can brew and drink a sedative collection - this will improve the overall symptoms and ease the course of painful menstruation.
In addition to sedatives, doctors prescribe a course of homeopathic formulations - they help to normalize the hormonal levels and beneficially affect the work of the central nervous system.
Among the drugs that doctors prescribe most often, the following can be distinguished:
The presented homeopathic compositions are well tolerated by patients and have virtually no side effects, with the exception of individual intolerance.
Among other drugs that will help eliminate nausea during menstruation - you can resort to using drug formulations:
- Motilium - helps to normalize the digestive process and accelerate the natural production of enzymes produced by the pancreas. It helps to remove the severity of the gastrointestinal tract and eliminate excessive gas formation, and in relation to contraindications to taking the drug - diagnosing diabetes and pregnancy, endocrine system malfunction and with a stomach ulcer.
- Aeron - blocks in itself the activation of the vagus nerve and as a result of pain. Contraindicated in diagnosed ulcer and gastritis, as well as under the age of 3 years.
- Hofitol - helps to overcome nausea in pregnant women with pronounced symptoms of PMS and menstruation. It has no negative side effects and helps to overcome nausea, dizziness during gestation.
In any case - each selected drug must be coordinated with the attending physician and gynecologist, based on the results of the examination, tests and the individual characteristics of the female body.
Preventing an unpleasant symptom
In this regard, doctors distinguish the following items:
- timely contacting a doctor for the manifestation of nausea and other negative symptoms during gestation,
- then - proper nutrition and finally - minimizing excessive exercise.
If such items as going to the doctor and minimizing physical exertion are more or less clear, then certain points should be taken into account regarding nutrition.
In the diet should give preference to products with a high content of magnesium and calcium - this buckwheat and cottage cheese, dried apricots and kiwi, sweet peppers and cabbage.
It is important to include in the diet and seafood, sea fish varieties, as well as poultry meat - chicken or turkey, fresh vegetables and fruits in season.
Avoid any excessive workloads, both physical and emotional, and minimize your bad habits.
Also dress warmly, not allowing hypothermia, staying in a draft. And to strengthen the immune system - consult with your doctor about taking certain vitamins, immunostimulants.
What is best for female diseases?
The downside of most drugs, including those described in this article, is side effects. Often, drugs greatly harm the body, subsequently causing complications of the kidneys and liver.
To prevent the side effects of such drugs, we want to draw attention to the special phytoampons BEAUTIFUL LIFE.
In their composition there are natural healing herbs - it gives tremendous effects of cleansing the body and restoring women's health.
Read more about how this drug helped other women read here in our article on phytoampons.
Nausea and pregnancy
If previously a woman did not notice any discomfort during her period, it could be a pregnancy. There are cases when bleeding is present, and fertilization does occur. Special attention should be paid to the nature of menstruation. If it has become scarce, and the pain has intensified, it is useful to do a test or analysis for hormones. With a positive result, it remains to rejoice and wait for the baby to appear.
If the pregnancy test is negative, it is better to play it safe and talk to the gynecologist. Often the cause of nausea is frozen or ectopic pregnancy, it is very dangerous for the patient's life. In the early stages, the presence of menstruation is an alarming signal that may indicate a high risk of miscarriage. If nausea is one-time and quickly passed, the food eaten was most likely due to that. To dispel doubts it is better to go to the doctor.
The menstrual cycle is a special condition, during which many changes occur. It is divided into several phases, each characterized by a change in hormonal levels, often accompanied by significant malaise. At the beginning of the cycle, the body produces a large amount of progesterone. If fertilization does not occur, prostaglandin levels rise. This hormone is responsible for updating the endometrium. Hormonal fluctuations are accompanied by spasms of the muscles of the uterus and nervous excitability, against the background of which nausea occurs during menstruation.
Even after the end of menstruation, this hormone is present in a certain amount in the body, so the woman gets nauseated. Often the symptom is associated with the production of serotonin, which is concentrated in the cerebrospinal fluid, causing swelling inside the skull, which causes nausea. Women may notice how swollen face and ankles. The condition is considered normal, and do not worry. After a couple of days, all the discomfort should disappear.
Even young teenage girls wonder why they get sick during their periods. The reason for this is congenital disorders. Nausea, accompanied by pain, in medicine is called algomenorrhea. Pathology is caused by the anatomical features of the uterus when blood flow is disturbed.
- Displacement of the uterus back - during menstruation, the blood flow increases the weight of the uterus, and it increases in volume. Because of this, the nerve endings of the spinal cord are compressed and vomiting attacks occur. Displacement is often accompanied by back pain.
- Underdevelopment of the uterus - this deviation is characteristic of adolescent girls, especially with a thin physique. The girl is growing up, and the body does not have time to develop normally.
Violations are most often diagnosed in unborn girls. Usually, all discomfort disappears after delivery. Patients with such a diagnosis should not be overworked, engage in professional sports and subject the body to heavy loads.
Other causes of nausea
Calls for nausea during menstruation can occur for various reasons, here are the main ones:
- Use of oral contraceptives - at the beginning of the reception, a woman often complains of uncharacteristic symptoms that occur due to hormonal changes. A woman is better to discuss this issue with a doctor, then change the COC,
- Depression, stress - they say - all diseases of the nerves. There is some truth in this, especially when it comes to the female body. Many pathologies develop on the background of neuropsychological disorders,
- The use of tampons - the composition of some tampons causes toxic shock, because of which can vomit and vomit. To get rid of unpleasant symptoms, it is better to abandon tampons or change them,
- Secondary algomenorrhea - pathology develops on the background of endometriosis or uterine fibroids,
- Too intense exercise - hormonal jumps lead to weakness and increased fatigue. A visit to the gym may result in fainting or vomiting,
- Intestinal infections - if menstruation coincides with infection, high body temperature and diarrhea appear. In this case, it is better to consult with a specialist,
- Taking alcohol and smoking - feeling unwell during your period can be caused by bad habits. During this period, it is better to give up alcohol and reduce the number of cigarettes smoked.
Whatever factors are not caused by vomiting, do not need to self-medicate, it is better to contact the clinic.
Nausea and diarrhea at the same time - what could it be?
Diarrhea and vomiting during menstruation - a frequent phenomenon, and it passes after a few days, as soon as the body is cleansed. Женщине нужно насторожиться, если понос очень сильный, продолжительный и сопровождается резкой болью внизу живота. Эти симптомы указывают на инфекционные болезни кишечника.
If the monthly did not go on time and diarrhea appeared, you need to do a pregnancy test. During fertilization, the body prepares to bear the fetus, which is accompanied by diarrhea, fever, and frequent urination. If the test is negative and the diarrhea is very strong, it is most likely a nutrition problem.
During menstruation, the intestine reacts sharply to the consumed products that irritate its mucous membrane. If vomiting and diarrhea do not stop on the third day, you should immediately go to the doctor. Self-medication is not worth doing. To avoid diarrhea during the menstruation period, it is better to refuse new dishes.
What to look for
To help yourself in time you need to pay special attention to the behavior of the body during menstruation. If nausea occurred for the first time, and no pathologies were previously diagnosed, the condition may indicate the onset of a disease. A woman should be alerted by these symptoms:
- Discharges with a putrid or sour odor, frequent urging to the toilet, painful urination, itching of the vulva. These signs indicate an infection. If there is a brown daub, it is worth the alert.
- Long, increasing pain in the lower abdomen and heavy menstruation. If you have to change the sanitary napkin every 3 hours, you may have bleeding. Significant blood loss is accompanied by dizziness and nausea.
- Fever, fever, chills, sweating, says about the beginning of the inflammatory process.
- Dark seal secretion or black discharge indicates infectious inflammation. In this case, the woman needs to pass a smear to avoid complications.
When such symptoms are detected, it is urgent to see a gynecologist. Any disease can be cured if you diagnose it in time and take the necessary measures.
How to help yourself
Usually during menstruation, nausea is mild and does not bother the woman much. If the symptoms are severe and do not go away for a long time, you can alleviate your condition. You should not take any medications yourself, only a doctor should appoint them, having learned the reason for such behavior of the organism. You can help yourself if you follow simple guidelines:
- Eat a balanced diet - the right food does not overload the stomach. In the diet you need to enter as much as possible fruits and vegetables. It is advisable to eat bananas, avocados, and other foods containing magnesium and various vitamins. It is undesirable to eat a lot of plums and figs, as they increase the amount of serotonin,
- Normalize the water-salt balance - during the period of menstruation it is better to drink less tea and coffee, you need to ensure that excess water does not linger in the body. It is better to drink clean water, eat cucumbers and watermelons,
- Exercise - exercise in the fresh air, cycling, walking and swimming help to get rid of nausea during menstruation. Active life stretches the muscles, making the spasms disappear. It is undesirable to heavily load yourself and go to the sauna
- Get enough sleep - a full sleep restores the level of sugar and hormones,
- Find reasons for joy - an excess of serotonin causes nausea, but the lack leads to bad mood, fatigue and depression. You need to do your favorite things and eat chocolate, but you should not overdo it,
- Relax properly - people often relieve stress with alcohol, this is not allowed. To facilitate your condition, it is enough to take a warm bath or apply a heating pad. Such manipulations dilate blood vessels and increase blood circulation.
But what to do if nausea is too strong, and it is impossible to tolerate it? Emergency measures include taking any antispasmodic. After that, it is better to relax in peace and tranquility. To normalize sleep, you need to take valerian or make a soothing tea based on hops or motherwort.
A warm water bottle reduces uterine tone, improves blood circulation and dilates blood vessels. Apply it for severe pain, but this is allowed only if the woman has gynecological diseases, and not appendicitis, etc. To permanently get rid of nausea, you need to give up bad habits, eat right, eat lots of vitamins and relax.
It is necessary to avoid stress and conflict situations, since menstruation is stress for the female body. If unpleasant symptoms are caused by gynecological or other diseases, it is better to see a doctor as soon as possible.